Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table rebuild.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @QDude‌
    Thanks for the tip. I had planned on staining every inch of it just because. I will certainly do it now. Again thanks.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    henapple said:
    The container should look like this. image

I confess, you sold that one to me, I thought to myself" mayonnaise as a sealer, really".....hey it stains my shirts just fine
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I am a carpenter, and you are on the right track SGH, nice sand job, now stain a couple of coats, let dryh 24 hrs before applying a marine or spar varnish, (as the above posters have suggested also) spar and marine finishes are designed to be water and ultaviolet light proof finishes, the best you can hope for, I like using from a rattle can with an add on trigger handle you can buy as an accessory in the paint dept. Good luck with the project sir.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    @anton‌
    Thank you my brother. I will be back working on it again tomorrow. Hope to have it finished for the week end.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Couple of notes - don't sand the stain, let the stain dry as recommended before applying the finish.  You'll need to sand the finish after the recommended drying time.  Humidity can extend that time.  HAND sand, very lightly - you just want to scuff the paint so the new layer sticks.  The spar paints have UV protection and they stretch with the wood so they don't crack and let water and moisture intrude into the wood.  Do paint all sides you can or you will have warping.  

Just my $0.02 as a hobby woodworker.
    @nolaegghead‌
    Thank you my brother. And for the record: Your 2 cents is worth a fortune in my book.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Thank you human unit "SGH", that is quite an honor from where I come from.
    SGH said:

@QDude‌
    Thanks for the tip. I had planned on staining every inch of it just because. I will certainly do it now. Again thanks.

Make sure that you do the same with the varnish. It's a pain to do the underside but will help in the long run.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Brother with the amount of metal working tools in your shop I would guess you have some mad crazy metal working skills, why not build yourself a metal table?
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Looks great, @SGH!  

I am bringing mine home today!  Guy used Cabot sealer on mine.  Only bad thing is the piece of granite is still not here.  The guy keeps dragging his feet.  I may pay visit tomorrow and shake him up a little.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I'm gonna hafta redo mine as well. It's really darkened up from mildew and charcoal dust. I agree on not using Thompsons. That's what I originally used on mine. Can't wait to see how yours turns out, SGH!
  • SGH
    @Dyal_SC‌
    Mine finally got so bad that when folks asked what color it was my reply was "Boston butt black". I had to do something!! And thank you brother Dyal.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @tarheelmatt‌
    Brother tar, carfeful shaking that clown up. In this politically correct world that we sadly live in now, you more often than not will get in trouble for giving a man a good beating. It's sad but it's so. I feel he more than deserves it, but I would hate to see you in trouble brother tar. Proceed with caution my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    SGH said:
    @tarheelmatt‌ Brother tar, carfeful shaking that clown up. In this politically correct world that we sadly live in now, you more often than not will get in trouble for giving a man a good beating. It's sad but it's so. I feel he more than deserves it, but I would hate to see you in trouble brother tar. Proceed with caution my friend.
    Boy! You gotta hate those pesky assault and battery statutes! 
  • SGH
    I agree. It's what is wrong with the world today. We try to rehabilitate everyone when in fact all most off them need is a good ole fashion beating. The world was a much better place when you could keep folks in line with a little ass whipping. Now everyone wants to cry and press charges. The good ole days, how I miss them.

Status- Standing by.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    "I'm just here to whoop some ass and drink some beer, looks like we are getting low on beer!"

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    @SGH‌
    Smokinpig said:

"I'm just here to whoop some ass and drink some beer, looks like we are getting low on beer!"

I will tell them I either whip ass or chew bubble gum and I am all out of bubble gum.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Would this green stain look good on my table or would it be a little to green? Your thoughts? image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Sorry. The woodland green^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    If your table isn't under a canopy and is exposed to weather, is there a cover you can purchase?

• SGH
    My table stays on the front porch. It's pretty protected from the elements.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Personally, I like the look of natural wood.  But I think your table would look cool if you painted on some digital camouflage.   But then you'd have a hard time locating it....
    @nolaegghead‌ - My wife just said no the green. Here is what color she decided on. So this is what it's going to be. Hey I can't win them all ;)image

Status- Standing by.

• corb69
    Your wife has good taste.
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    @corb69‌- Thanks brother corb. I was pretty sure that she had good taste when she picked me as a husband ;)

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    I like the cedar also. Covers two bases- looks good and "happy wife, happy life".
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SGH
    Finally got it sanded and made some minor adjustments to the table. Fixing to get to it. Hope to be able to post completed pics tomorrow. Sure hope that it turns out well.

Status- Standing by.

• corb69
    Excellent. Can't wait to see that egg off the ground and it's home. How's the bigger project coming along?
  • SGH
    @corb69‌
    Thanks brother. I'm ready to have my egg off of the ground as well. The addition to the carport has been slow. I have several different projects going at once. I have been working on my property outside of the fence. Trying to take full advantage of the dry weather. I pretty much have the property cleared and sloped like I want now. Been trying to tune out Unit #7. Also been working on a direct fired clone. Will be moving back to the carport this week. If only I was a younger man again my friend things would progress much faster for sure. Atlas I'm old and wore out. Getting there though. Slowly but surely.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Slowly but surely getting there. This is to much like work. I may have to convert to Democrat and get someone to do it for me ;)

Status- Standing by.