Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To or not to be?

Vaccinated for the flu this year. I have been vaccinated for years and not gotten sick except for the reaction of dizziness and being inoperable for a few hours after the shot.

What do all do?
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I've never had the flu in my life that I know of. However did spend 5 weeks in the hospital with legionnaire's disease back in 1993. Now in my mid 50's. Started getting flu shots about ten years ago or so, though not necessarily every year. Never had an adverse reaction to the shots.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm required to get the flu vaccine every year for work but I have always done it as long as I can remember.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I get the shot, it is no longer cultured in eggs, so that's no longer an issue... first time I did it, I was sicker than ever...haven't had the glue in years now..the vaccine is a crap shoot...I will say, getting sick is nice sometimes as it's the only time I really rest
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    We get it. Wife an RN and told me to get it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    lkapigian said:

I get the shot, it is no longer cultured in eggs, so that's no longer an issue... first time I did it, I was sicker than ever...haven't had the glue in years now..the vaccine is a crap shoot...I will say, getting sick is nice sometimes as it's the only time I really rest

I haven't had the glue in years either. .. 8-}
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    First year I don't have to (retired military), but with the Ebola fears I'm getting one voluntarily.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I haven't had a flu shot in years... the first couple of times I got the shot, I got sick shortly thereafter... can't say for sure if the illness was a result of the shot. I just seem to be pretty healthy and haven't taken the time to get them.
    On the other hand, I will probably get one this year due to the new baby in the family.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Eggcelsior
    mcmac said:

I haven't had a flu shot in years... the first couple of times I got the shot, I got sick shortly thereafter... can't say for sure if the illness was a result of the shot. I just seem to be pretty healthy and haven't taken the time to get them.

On the other hand, I will probably get one this year due to the new baby in the family.
    It was not the shot. Never will be. The flu shot is a killed vaccine. It is impossible to get the flu from it. You can feel sick from an inflammatory reaction(aches, low grade fever) but that goes away after a day or two. There are other very rare reactions(Guillian-Barre syndrome 1/1000000 risk) but the benefits greatly out way any risks.
  • Get the shot. The flu is no joke.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    the flu is my weight loss plan
    :)) ive never gotten the shot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Never had the shot/mist and never had the flu.  Probably should get one though.  We'll see.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Always get the shot-never had the flu.  Of course adult beverages could also help in the prevention! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Ive never had the flu and I have never had the shot.
  • Eggcelsior
    hondabbq said:
    Ive never had the flu and I have never had the shot.
    You're lucky
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I always get my flu shot, been doing it for the last 30 years or so.
    I'm a severe asthmatic so upper respiratory infections are not a good thing for me.
    Anything to decrease the likelihood I will get the flu is a good thing.
    My son is lucky, he gets the nasal spray.
    The wife says it makes her ill, so she doesn't get it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I always get the shot. Being an ER nurse means being exposed to every dang thing. Never get sick from it. And the only time I have had the flu was one year before the shots were being offered. And yes I took it that year after having the flu.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    This is a really interesting topic. 'The Flu' is caused by the influenza virus, an octopartite orthomyxovirus (meaning it's built from RNA and has 8 pieces to it's genome). There are two prominent proteins that the immune system can see: hemagglutenin and neuraminidase. There are lots of variations of these proteins and maybe you've heard of H1N1, which are designators for those proteins in combination with one another.

So, why all the technical mumbo-jumbo? Once a year before 'flu season' a bunch of folks from the CDC, WHO, etc get together and figure out what are the most likely combinations of H and N for the following year. Based on that conversation (and epidemiology, etc) they decide a year in advance what type of vaccine to synthesize. If they get it right the vaccine works like gangbusters and most people will have significantly increased immunity to later infection. If they get it wrong (if the virus that becomes predominant has a different set of H and N) the vaccine efficacy is significantly attenuated (i.e. it doesn't work).

Long story short, I'm young and dumb and invincible, plus I don't have too much love for the CDC and WHO, so I don't get it.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    henapple said:
    I haven't had the glue in years either. .. 8-}

Love spell check!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Many hospitals are requiring all employees to get the flu shot.  SWMBO's isn't one of them, and she's actually never gotten the shot.  I got it once and was as sick as a dog for about three days afterwards (maybe a coincidence?).  SWMBO just told me they had two patients last year with Guillian-Barre syndrome on the 3rd floor.

I defer to the accepted medical advice on the shots - get them.  As for me, I never get the flu, or if I do, it doesn't slow me down.  Until I turn decrepit or develop an immune system issue, I'm going to stick with what works and go commando.