Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cochinita Pibil!

Options
FlyingTivo
FlyingTivo Posts: 352
Mothers bday, so had to go big!
Two boston butts@4kgs each and 2 Kgs of full rack of ribs! Marinated them for 12 hrs. Smoked them indirectly for 1 hr with pecan. Then they went in on the roasting pot with an additional 2 bottles of Achiote, banana leves and some bitter orange juice. BBQ GURU@230 for 8:30 hrs!
Men, easier fed than understood!!

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Nice work!  I love that stuff but haven't made it yet.  I'm hungry, and jealous!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Made some Flour tortilla burritos for dinner, still amazing!

Felipe
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Never heard of it.  Looks great!

How does the taste compare to a standard low and slow cook? 
    What do the banana leaves do?  Is that just a natural alternative to tin foil?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Thanks for posting this cook. I have a bottle of that stuff but wasn't sure how to use it. It was a gift. If I just did one butt, do you think I would need 2 bottles? And where can I find another bottle?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• FlyingTivo
    Options
    @Griffin you can find them on any Mexican deli food store or if you are in texas probably HEB or Wal-Mart. The butts i cooked where around 8.8lbs each and used 2 bottles per butt.

@KiterTodd the taste is very different due to the Achiote which is what the bottles have. The banana leaves do impart a special flavour that is difficult to describe since its unique. I did add some Pecan chunks to smoke them at the beginning before wrapping them in the leaves. It was a nice subtle flavour. The leaves are supposed to be used instead of the tin foil, but it will dry out and the juices do make for a very enhanced flavour profile. So i did cover them with foil after the smoke and wrap leaves.

Felipe