Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - BlackStone (pizza lovers must click)

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    @GlennM - I missed out on Vaughan Ontario Lowes' floor display at 40% off last week, didn't pay much attention to it nor its sticker price (probably $399 per Lowes.ca)
    canuckland
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Q GlennM I have not seen it in Canada but Rona did carry it. I called all my local stores and it was "out of season"

@DMW I cannot get it locally but I am coming down to the US in a month and I will check out some Lowes down there. I know of 3 for sure that I can hit up. I will only buy as well if its the newer edition. I have read some issues with the first release.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Lowes will also offer a military discount in addition to honoring their sale price. (Ask me how I know :) ).
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    They have it at my local lowes $399. If anyone goes to the US you could order it online for "pick up in store" ?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @hondabbq @GlennM
    You can check Lowe's in-store inventory on their website and also do ship to store.

Enjoy! I'm still playing with mine to figure out the best way to fire for pre-heating and baking. I have 7 dough balls waiting in the fridge for this weekend. ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GlennM
    Options
    I'm in Canada, the current sale at lowes USA is not offered here
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    @dmw I didn't see the blue tab with in stock information. I looked for something similar last time but I guess I missed it. Thanks.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    It's on sale at lowes in the US. $269. On sale until the end of December.
    just got the call that it is in the store for pickup - SWEET!!
  • GlennM
    Options
    What store? They have 5 at my local store for $399. Maybe I need a trip to the US
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Trying to build this thing tonight. Two things. 1. There is a special place reserved for those who applied these stickers. 2. If any of you want to hold my hand, gives me tips, or pour me a drink, much obliged. :)
    Sandy
  • DMW
    Options
    @PNWFoodie
    From what I hear, the "improved" sticker adhesive came with the new and improved version. I have given in to the fact that the stickers will eventually come off, but life is too short to worry about it now.

Other than that, it goes together per the instructions.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @DMW you are assuming I have directions. Not included, but got them on line. Came with broken stone, has since been replaced by customer service. They were very helpful. Now it looks like I am missing two additional parts. Not sure if this was a return or what, but this is not a happy install. Hoping the pies make up for it.
    Sandy
  • DMW
    Options
    @PNWFoodie
    Sorry to hear, that's a bummer for sure. The box of mine had a bit of damage, but thankfully it was only surface deep.

Where the stones packed with foam discs and plastic wrapped to the metal platform? If not, then I'll bet for sure it was a return.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    It seems as though many bought the blackstone at the same time about a month ago . . . . how is it holding up?  Still love this thing?

I am buying either the Blackstone or the Pizzacraft Pizzeria Pronto Outdoor Pizza Oven this moth as an "early christmas gift" for our house . . . so curious to hear the feedback.

NOTE: I like the small compact design of the Pizzacraft Pronto better than the giant Blackstone Design . . I am trying to hid this thing when its not in use (unlike my EGG which I show off!)
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • DMW
    Options
    @NDG
    Yep, I still love it. I can decide I want pizza and be eating pizza less than 1/2 hour later if I have dough balls ready in the fridge. You can remove the legs and shelves, which would make it only slightly larger than the Pizzacraft looks to be. Disclaimer - I have never seen a Pizzacraft in person, only reading dimensions. 

Also works great for tostadas
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NDG
    Options
    Great to hear . . thanks @DMW
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Still loving mine as well.  Will be building an outdoor kitchen come spring.  The blackstone will have a spot.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I was looking into these last night bit the footprint is just too big. Looks fun though
    Seattle, WA
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I love mine. It's over a year old and I use it every Friday evening. I have dough in the fridge since Sunday. Can't wait for tonights pizza.
  • NDG
    Options
    I spent a little time on the weekend reviewing the Black Stone on the pizza making forum.  Honestly, I got a lil spooked about all these "mods" people do to their oven to compensate for a stone wobble or melting heat deflectors.  Please tell me I can use this thing right out of the box?  Any experience with these mods and are they needed? 
    Columbus, OH

• DMW
    Options
    @NDG No mods needed, especially on the newer version. The newer version is the one that has a shelf for the propane tank to sit on. The older version has 2 shelves and the tank sits beside or behind the oven.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NDG
    Options
    @DMW . . . ok that is helpful.  According to the LOWES website, it looks like the model on sale is the older model then . . . bummer.
    Columbus, OH

• DMW
    Options
    @NDG Website photos are useless. It's the same model. My local Lowe's had the newer version, website photo was the older. Either way, the mods are not required, some are not even possible on the newer version.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NDG
    Options
    Great, appreciate it and my appologies to everyone else who sees this BUMP again.  My wife says I can be a bit obsessive at times, but I will DM next time!
    Columbus, OH

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I have the original model for over a year now and I did one mod. The bearing and it doesn't do anything different with mine. I took it out for awhile but put back in since I spent money it, not much like $8.

My pizza comes out real good imo right out the box.  

• GlennM
    Options
    I have the new one with no mods yet. It is fantastic. Don't deprive yourself!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I know a guy that has eggs that bought one and he swears by it. I want one with some nice Italian tiles myself.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GlennM
    Options
    The egg makes great pizzas! But, the Blackstone is so much easier to get a perfect result every time! :-)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm thinking of building a contraption like this to cook 8" personal size pizzas in my tandoor :)

canuckland
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I've had mine for about a month & a half and have used it without modification every weekend since with results each time in excess of what is necessary to keep my LBGE cold on pizza days.  It was apparent to me the first time I used it that it was a superior pizza baker as compared to a ceramic cooker.  If I had to identify a weakness it would be the same one that afflicts all non-insulated metal cookers, the negative effect of high wind.  A few weeks ago we had sustained winds in the 25-35mph range which resulted in a longer preheat time (added around 5 minutes).  Unlike ceramic, the housing of any non-insulated metal cooker like the Blackstone is susceptible to heat loss through high wind.  That said, it was still ready to cook in less than 1/2 the time the egg would have taken so it really doesn't change the analysis for me.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania