Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket injection

Options
meech
meech Posts: 5
good day
i will be smoking several briskets for an event and am wondering if there is a commercial injection for brisket that is recommended - normally i
mix up my own but with time being an issue i would rather just buy a good injection -- any recommendations ??

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Without making one yourself, this is as good as it gets.image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    It can be purchased from brother Reed at killerhogs.com

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @meech‌
    I know a few folks who use this and really like it. I personally prefer the above but we all have different tastes and preferences my friend. Just thought I would share.image

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    @SGH‌ In general, do you inject your brisket's?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I haven't ever injected a brisket. Maybe I need to try but I can't imagine it could be all that much better.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • SGH
    Options
    @tulocay‌ -No sir. I do not inject packers. However when doing very small flats I will shoot them to the gills.

Status- Standing by.

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    @SGH does it keep the flats from drying out or for flavor?
    Columbus IN
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Egghead_Daron‌
    It helps prevent them from drying out. Of course it adds a flavor profile of whatever the base is derived from, but I use a injection more for the added moisture not the flavor. Small flats are very easy to dry out. Injections are one of the ways to help prevent this. Hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I've read you can make your own injection with equal parts oil, water, and vinegar mixed with your rub.  Anyone ever try this?  Anybody think this is a bad idea?
  • SGH
    Options
    @SeahawksEGGHead‌
    You can make a injection from about anything my friend. That said, most folks prefer the ones with a "beefy" taste when it comes to brisket. Why? Brisket it's self has a parculiar and distinct taste that doesn't meld well with a lot of concoctions. But the answer to your question is ; yes you certainly can. Just my opinion, I would avoid the oil. The last thing that you want is a greasy brisket. I favor the water based injections for beef. Again this is just my thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @SGH‌ I 100% Agree on the flats if injection is used and not on the Packers. I have, in the past, used everything from straight Apple cider, Apple juice, natural beef broth and blends of spices and liquids. I liked the flavor profile of a deep beef flavor. The brisket should still taste like a "beef" brisket. Just my 2¢.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Absolutely my friend. A beef base is the only way to go. Anything else adultarates and slays the taste. We are defiantly in agreement on this one brother husker.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @meech‌
    I know that you said you wanted to avoid making one, but the one I use for flats can be made in the time it takes to boil a pint of water. On my outdoor high powered propane burner this is around 60 seconds give or take a little depending on wind conditions. To 1 pint of water add 20 of these cubes. The taste is a very strong and musky beef taste. Perfect for brisket. You can adjust the strength by adding more or less cubes but I find 20 to a pint to be perfect for a ole flat. Also you can add a little Accent as well to acenuate the musk. I find 3 table spoons to the brew to be perfect. Give this one a try my friend. I think that it will become your go to injection for flats. It's all I use. It's simple, cheap and can be made in less than 3 minutes from take off to touch down.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I may try this some time. I don't do flats very often but I might just to try injecting.
    Columbus IN