Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shark Steaks

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]My wife brought home some Shark Steaks from the store yesterday. She mentioned she was going to throw them in the oven tonight and I thought I could do better by throwing them on the egg. I have missed the egg here lately. Does anyone have a recipe for grilling Shark? I have all of the Dizzy Pig rubs. These steaks are about 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick. Thanks in advance for any help.[p]Kenny

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    PackerFan,
    i've never grilled shark steaks before, but given that they are pretty firm, you could certainly treat em like you would a tuna steak, put some rub (dizzy RR) and olive oil or melted butter, and grill them direct...[p]or you could cube them up the size of scallops, wrap the cubes in prociutto and again, sprinkle some dizzy RR or other rub and grill them for a couple of minutes per side and eat them that way. . ..[p]HTH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    PackerFan,
    ive never cooked any, but have had some that were marinated in lemons and limes that were great. i have heard that some species of shark need to be soaked in buttermilk to get rid of a certain smell/flavor. any idea of what kind of shark it is.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Shark is a fantastic fish to grill. Make sure and cut out the bloodline (if there is one). Max's rub suggestion is a good one. Or maybe tsunami. Shark is a meaty fish....and cooks up somewhere between Tuna and Mahi Mahi. Like both of those I mentioned, it will be dry if you overcook, but don't serve as rare as you would tuna.[p]I'd probably go 450 until well browned on each side, or until it JUST wants to start to flake along the edges. [p]Happy cookin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Not sure if it is a particular species you heard about that needs a buttermilk soak, or if that is for not-so-fresh shark, or the real dark fishy meat around the bloodline.[p]The stuff I have had had a real nice mild flavor.
    Try it sometimes. If you can find good fresh stuff that doesn't smell fishy (and as you know, ALWAYS smell before you buy), it is really a nice meal.[p]Stouts onya!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • PackerFan
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]I am uncertain of what type of Shark. It was at local grocery store in the seafood section. Not in a prepackaged carton.[p]Kenny

• PackerFan
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks for the input. When you say blood line do you mean if it runs through the middle of the steak to cut steak in half or dig the line out? [p]Thanks,
    Kenny

• Nature Boy
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Yeah, I guess it would be kinda tough to remove in a steak actually. Just eat around it. But yes, that is the line, and with a filet it runs all the way down. I wuz be thinkin filet for some reason.[p]Enjoy, and please report back with what you end up doing!
    CHris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • PackerFan
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Will give it a try. I lied. I have all Dizzy Pigs except Tsunami Spin. Should I use Raging River or something else? By the way great job on getting the Dizzy Pig stuff in Outdoor Home in Springfield. I'd like to think be bugging the crap out of them might have had something to do with it. Nice to be able to pick some up locally when in a hurry. Steak is not steak without the CowLick.[p]Kenny

• Nature Boy
    Options
    PackerFan,
    Ragin rivah would be perfect. Thanks much. Only in 22 stores right now, but I have not pounded on any doors yet. Thanks to customers like yourself, folks are startin to hear about us.
    Happy cookin mang!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I spent a lot of time years back chumming for shark with #30 lb rigs. Don't know if the exercise has anything to do with it but if you don't get them chilled and bled they can get a bit pungent. Sort of like ammonia(sp?)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    82c68b54.jpg
    <p />katman,
    we try to get out one day each august which is tough because the weather isnt small boat friendly off the coast of maine during this month. the shark grounds are about 40 miles out. lots of fun though. this is the only shark we have caught that would allow us to take a picture. if you have ever tried to hold one by the tail you know what i mean. the locals say that these blue sharks have too much ammonia/urine in their flesh to eat, never tried one, always after that mako. weve hooked into one mako that must have been close to 1000 pounds, a giant bluefin that literally took the boat out to sea, and just missed a gigantic baskin shark with my life jacket fly (3000 pounds?). i really need a bigger boat, my 19 footer seems like a little dub tub sometimes

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PackerFan
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Well unfortunately the only good thing about the shark was the rub. I overcooked the darn thing. It had a very bad ammonia smell as it was cooking as well. Not impressed. Oh well. Live and learn. I noticed my wife also bought Tilapia filets also. These are fairly thin. Is it worth putting these on the egg? If so any recipes? My wife must have mad a New Years resolution I was unaware of since we are suddenly buying lots of fish. She must want me to lose my beer gut.[p]Thanks,
    Kenny

• I ate shark a few times when I lived in FL. We soaked it in milk for a few hours which helped rid it of the strong ammonia smell. I am lucky enough to live where we can buy non frozen fresh swordfish. Fresh swordfish is fantastic grilled over charcoal. We buy thicker slices cut to order of about 2" thick. I sprinkle on cookies seasoning and i grill it at 350 for about 8-10 minutes per side depending on how thick it is. Then I close all the vents and I let it dwell for another 5 to 7 minutes. I add hickory chunks or cherry wood for a depth of flavor. I could try grilled shark cooked like this if I ever want to eat it again. We ate the shark meat deep friend in FL. That amonia smell could also have been from the fish not being fresh. I only buy fish on the same day that I am going to cook it. If it smells at all, or it is excessively slimy I return it on the same day. Good luck1 John