Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusty Daisy Wheel

Options

I've had my L Egg since May and have used it virtually every night since.

To clean some of the grease/build up I've put the daisy wheel in the hot egg to cook stuff off a time or two.

Now I notice small rust spots. 

Issue?
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd help you out but I'm afraid if I get ready to score a touchdown you'll punch me in the face. .... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

The infamous heapple

I am honored that you responded to my post. 

SHMBO and I enjoyed the Brisket Camp tomfoolery. 

And, to refresh you memory, it was an Art Schlicter interception. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    Options
    My bad. Infamous? Ha. Not sure why it would rust. I use oven cleaner and pressure wash mine about once a year and paint with black hi temp paint.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    No issues except for ugliness, if it even bothers you.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    When finished with your cook, spray the DW with cooking spray and then put it inside the egg as you shut everything down.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    First off: I do not use them. They live in the garage somewhere. But is yours this rusty? I paid $10 to have it sandblasted. Now it's this. Very easy. imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Just put it in the egg when you shut it down from each cook. Been doin that for 7or so yrs with no rust issues.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mickey said:
    First off: I do not use them. They live in the garage somewhere. But is yours this rusty? I paid $10 to have it sandblasted. Now it's this. Very easy. imageimage
    Mickey - every time I see those pictures I mean to ask you - where did you get that sand blasted for $10? Not the name nor location, but the type of business. I know how to clean rust off small tools etc, but I have some items that I would gladly pay to have sand blasted to get there quicker!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Don't see the issue personally. If it bothers you hit it with a wire wheel on a drill, heat up in the egg, let cool and hit it with black high temp paint. I use the Smokeware and my DFMT has been in an outside cupboard for over a year with no rust and I'm in humidville FL.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    Options
    Yeah, but @Mickey cooks on a mini. ..who does that? :))
  • Mickey
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:
    First off: I do not use them. They live in the garage somewhere. But is yours this rusty? I paid $10 to have it sandblasted. Now it's this. Mickey - every time I see those pictures I mean to ask you - where did you get that sand blasted for $10? Not the name nor location, but the type of business. I know how to clean rust off small tools etc, but I have some items that I would gladly pay to have sand blasted to get there quicker!

Just a commercial sandblasting place.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I've had this problem too. I put the daisy wheel inside during the last 15 min of a clean burn, then left it in there too cool. That burnt every spot of rust off. Once cooked cooled, I cleaned it and hit it with some crisco and baked it for 2 hours at 400. It seasoned just like cast iron and better than when I opened the original box.
  • Bullhalsey
    Options
    Simply spray a little cooking oil on it occasionally, wipe off any excess with a paper towel.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    @mickey Did you paint it after or is that the "raw" finish after the SB?  Thanks
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Mickey
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    @mickey Did you paint it after or is that the "raw" finish after the SB?  Thanks

Raw

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP - do you have a compressor? If you are interested, Harbor Freight has a cheap gun that sells for under $20. I picked mine up for <$15 on sale a couple of years ago - I use Black Beauty abrasive and still have the first 40# bag. Great tool for stripping small rusty projects.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP - do you have a compressor? If you are interested, Harbor Freight has a cheap gun that sells for under $20. I picked mine up for <$15 on sale a couple of years ago - I use Black Beauty abrasive and still have the first 40# bag. Great tool for stripping small rusty projects.

sure do - 3 of them in fact. I'll head to HF this weekend! Thanks!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @RRP - not sure of your experience, but FYI the HF gun is a gravity feed, easy to use and clear - but can't be used inside cabinets or tight spaces due to the hopper. There is also a CH unit think Lowe's sells it (still cheap, good for home use) that is a syphon model - you can blast anywhere you can get the gun into. 
    For me, I'm not sticking my head into a closed space and pulling the trigger with a blaster, so I opted for the hopper model. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks again for that info!