Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tips

Ok...got the mini. Throw out some tips on indirect, cooking apps at a get together, etc...
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    do you have a plate setter for it?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Woo...2 stones.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Anything small in shape. Meatballs, wings, etc. @fishlessman‌ has a basket that fits his where he can do a mess of wings. You could turn out quesadillas or mini pizzas pretty quickly.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @henapple
    Brother Apple of my very favorites on the mini is chargrilled oysters. I don't know if fresh oysters are available in your area or even if you like them. But if they are and you enjoy them then chargrilled oysters are hard to beat my friend. Me and brother Nola was turning some out that would more than give Drago's a run for their money. I know that's saying a lot but brother I'm telling you that they are incredible. We had his mother fighting us for them. Also unpeeled shrimp with the head still attached and soaked in melted butter are phenomenal. The sky is truly the limit brother Apple.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I cook 90% direct raised (with the woo).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    When indirect, do you cover the stone?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother Apple here is a tip. I use my cast iron lump grate out of my large for a semi indirect affect when I still want some charring from the flame but want to control bad flare ups. This is excellent for fish, shrimp and oysters. Try it sometime my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Here's a tip for ya...... Stop drinking cheap ass beer! Life is to short fool!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    henapple said:
    When indirect, do you cover the stone?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    @mickey how long did that tenderloin take? I'm in charge of a tailgate for 8(thanks, SWMBO)
  • Mickey
    @mickey how long did that tenderloin take? I'm in charge of a tailgate for 8(thanks, SWMBO)

Sorry. Under an hour at 400.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Beef Clod.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    i think my kub might be a half inch larger but this was 20 plus wings cut into 40 plus pieces. this was easier to do in a basket dumping into a bowl every 20 minutes and back into the basket to flip and rotate. my indirect setup was foil and even the cooking grid was not needed

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    @fishlessman‌ where is that basket from?
  • fishlessman
    @fishlessman‌ where is that basket from?
    its a lodge chicken fry basket, just dont know if it will fit a mini, it fits in the kub
    fukahwee maine

• henapple
    shtgunal3 said:

Everyone says that till you get together. Centex, Steven, sgh's wife, fleur, cali, ...always the first thing, "that's pretty good".
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Commie lover.

Cook on it just like your other Egg, just less food.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    henapple said:
    Everyone says that till you get together. Centex, Steven, sgh's wife, fleur, cali, ...always the first thing, "that's pretty good".
    I tried to drink one for you before Salado this year(with CT). It was bad. Really, really bad. Even ice cold. One sip for me, the rest of the 16 oz can for my homies(buried in a potted plant, that is).
  • fishlessman
    henapple said:
    every one says that to free beer
    :D then halfway thru it they realize it went warm and dump it when no ones looking
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• henapple
    Yeah...that's why my cooler was empty. =D>
  • shtgunal3
    Hell I'll take free any day. And if I had to buy cheap beer it would probably be PBR. But I normally don't buy cheap beer.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    shtgunal3 said:
    Hell I'll take free any day. And if I had to buy cheap beer it would probably be PBR. But I normally don't buy cheap beer.
    When I buy cheap beer it's Yeungling. 
  • henapple
    Yueling is too sweet for me.
  • shtgunal3
    Rolling Rock is a good cheap beer.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited October 2014

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    henapple said:
    Yueling is too sweet for me.
    Really? That was the issue with PBR for me, it reminded me of that sickeningly sweet smell garbage can have. Yuengling tastes better than the standards(Bud, Miller, Coors) but it still tastes like cheap beer and is best cold. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    henapple said:

Just because I drank it all, doesn't mean I liked it. It just means that I have lower standards now, after having cooked next to you.

And since everybody is wailing on your PBR, instead of being  forthcoming with the tips, here's one - save a cork from a bottle of beer/champagne/wine, drill a hole down the length of, slide the stem of the thermo through it, and use it as a spacer between the thermo and the dome/lid. Gives you extra clearance on the inside if you want to cook a butt or whole chicken. Make sure you use a real (natural) cork, not the plastic ones.

You're welcome.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    @Caliking. ..thanks.