Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I just dropped my plate setter and broke a leg off of it.

Does anyone know if it is covered under warranty. It is 8 months old
Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Ask your dealer. Someone just had their's replaced doing just this.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Clearly a dealer decision as this sounds like user induced failure.  That said, if he does not cover a replacement then you will no longer feel tied to the plate setter so that makes it easier to eggsplore other after-market options.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Great idea @lousubcap, maybe a AR. Thanks!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • I broke mine off and used JB Weld and worked like a charm for all low and slow cooks.  Well then I used it for my pizza setup and it melted the JB Weld and the leg fell down, the pizza stone slid left and my 3 sockets I use for air flow between the plate setter and the stone slide into the lump.  

Waited till the next day and fished everything out of the lump and re-JB Welded it and still works till this date for low and slow.  
     Bought another one for pizza cooks 
    :)>-
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Rutland makes a product called Fireplace Mortar that's supposed to be good to 2000 *F. Intended to repair cracked firebrick. Five bucks. Haven't tried it yet but I did buy some the other day.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729

What are the alternatives?   I am a newbie about to pick up an XL this weekend and planned on getting a PS.

Are there advantages to aftermarket PS?

• Welcome to the crowd, I have dropped and broken two through the years.  BGE says it is not warrantied but if you ask your dealer and they say no, what did it hurt?  If they say yes, you win!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @stompbox-first up, welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Now here is a website that offers many alternatives to the indirect setup afforded by the plate setter;
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com When you become overwhelmed by the options for any and all BGE's give them a call.  You will get great advice.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @stompbox‌ ...welcome. Weigh the cost of the placesetter vs aftermarket items. Might be better off with an AR.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    AR is a must have for a large. On the XL I think you are better off with a Platesetter and a Woo2. On the XL the AR really only buys you one extra level.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Gotcha, thanks. Honestly, with the XL, i doubt i will need more levels but never say never. I was confused looking at the site. If you use a Woo2, can you still use the stock grate or will the diameter be too large when raised? Also, it appears the PS provides more indirect heat surface area so it sounds to me like woo2 plus PS would be better as well..... But, i have no real world experience with any lf this. Opinions welcomed.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    jhl192 said:

AR is a must have for a large.

Nonsense. I have had a large with PS for 5+ years now. Have never felt the slightest urge to buy an AR. Not saying it's not useful for some. Just not needed for others. And not a "must have" for anyone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut