Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump doesn't last

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had the egg for over two years and I can't get over 2 months per bag of BGE lump. I only use it 2-3 week and I don't do much smoking, either. I always close the dampners right away as well.
The brochure says 4-6 months at 2-3 per week. Am I doing something wrong here? Should I clean all the build up off of my rotating metal lid? Does air sneak in and slowly burn it out? It does stay hot (aprx 150-200F.) for a couple hours after dampners are both shut.
Don't get me wrong, 2 months is a long time to last, but it is over 50% less than I should expect.
Lasty, the BGE makes me feel like a grilling KING when I have guests over, how about you? Everyone should have one of these things.
Thanks for the input,
Kreg N.

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Kreg N. ,
    The brochure lies. You're not doing anything wrong at all. Also, if you do a lot of high temp cooks, you'll go through it fairly quickly.
    JimW

• JimW,
    In the summer I go through 100 lbs of lump in about 3-4 months. I say big deal for the quality of foods I cook. 'By the way I use a large BGE. No complaints here.[p]Groillin Bill

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Kreg N. , a local newspaper ran a story on the BGE and used the 4-6 month per bag of lunp - I just kind of smiled - I go through a bag of lump evey 2-3 weeks. Best thing to do with the BGE manual is to put it in a special place (where you may never find it again) that will be safe - then come to this forum for help. Good luck!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Kreg N.,[p]I'm not sure the brochure says used 2-3 times a week, though it did say 4-6 months per bag.[p]It is either a very large bag of lump or I'm having the same problem you are. I average about a bag a month year round. It sounds like your Egg cools down as it should and all is well on your home front.[p]Let's agree that we do enjoy cooking on the Egg and tend to use it much more than the "average" used to produce the brochure :-).[p]Spin
  • Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Kreg N. ,[p]I use the "rain cap" and not the metal top when I shut my egg down.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Kreg N. ,[p]Since I got my Egg about 20 months ago - I have always written the date I opened a bag of lump on the bag so I can track how long it lasts. I never have seen the 4-6 mo claim that you mentioned, but if its in the manual/cookbook then it can't be trusted. I use a bag a month in my large but sometimes it went 3 weeks. Since I got my small I use it 80% of the time and I do almost all grilling on it. My lump now lasts an easy 2 months per bag. [p]The 4-6 month claim must be like the auto companies claim for gas mileage -- all conditions must be perfect and the magic has to be working. [p]Like Jim said, you're doing nothing wrong. [p]Tim
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Gfw,
    Yes. I go through a bag every 3 weeks during the summer. The only way 20 lbs of lump would last me 4-6 months would be if I were...gasp...separated from my egg for that long (God forbid)!
    bd