Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any "Healthy" chilli recipes out there?

Options
2»

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    After my brother was diagnosed with diabetes, I started using this software to tailor recipes for him.
    http://www.livingcookbook.com/ It uses the USDA SR 24 database to calculate the per serving nutritional analysis and has a free 30 day trial. My standard chili recipe works out to 270 calories per serving. A warning: never plug your pimento cheese recipe into it if you love pimento cheese, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    robnybbq said:

adjust as you'd like, this is a good way to track calories

Wow. That's allot of calories. Next...... How do people live on 1500 calories a day?

Well you could easily cut down that recipe; 5 pounds of hamburger for 9 servings is overkill. Cut out 3-4 pounds of that and add like 4 cups of chopped onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño/poblano pepper and you'll cut the calories per serving almost in half.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• apfroggy0408
    Options
    Acn said:

Wow. That's allot of calories. Next...... How do people live on 1500 calories a day?
    Well you could easily cut down that recipe; 5 pounds of hamburger for 9 servings is overkill. Cut out 3-4 pounds of that and add like 4 cups of chopped onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño/poblano pepper and you'll cut the calories per serving almost in half.
    Like I said adjust as you see fit. That's from a powerlifter that I know... I'm on a cut and go through 12 or so lbs of chicken a week...

I don't know why you would only be eating 1500 calories a day? Again, I'm deep into a cut towards the end and I've only dropped to 2100 calories a day.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options

Acn said:

Like I said adjust as you see fit. That's from a powerlifter that I know... I'm on a cut and go through 12 or so lbs of chicken a week...

I don't know why you would only be eating 1500 calories a day? Again, I'm deep into a cut towards the end and I've only dropped to 2100 calories a day.
    I meant 1700, 

I dont exercise and weigh 240lbs.  I want to loose 1-1.5 lbs a week.  That is ~1700 calories max a day to accomplish that.  Calories add up fast.  Trying to find meals that are low calorie that will fill me up and have energy so I can stick with it.  usually when I eat low calorie meals I am tired more than normal (not saying much) and looking for more food in an hour - meaning raiding the kitchen and bad foods.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Your energy levels will improve if you start working out. It will also allow you to eat more calories as you'll be burning more. However, this is not a reason to literally eat more food than you already do, just that you can eat more relative to the restriction.

Restriction diets have the highest failure rates of any weight-loss plan.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

How much fluids are you drinking a day.  Many times "hunger" is the body craving fluids.  Anytime you feel hungry, you should first drink some fluids, water preferably, and wait at least 1/2 hr.  If still hungry eat some fruit.

1700 calories a day is plenty if you're eating the right foods.  Whole grains, fruits and veggies.  And @eggcelsior is right about exercise, but you need to start slow and build up your stamina.

You've had other threads on this topic and please take this the right way, but I really don't see a commitment, just a lot of excuses.  It's a lifestyle change that doesn't happen overnight, it takes time and effort.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Instead of using ground beef, cut lean meat into small dice and toss all the fat. I make my chili soupy. I use a grain for a base in the bowl; usually brown rice but sometimes wheat berries. I also use beans but on the side, for folks to mix as they like (I lived in Texas too long to cook the beans in the chili). A really generous bowl includes just a half cup or so of chili, a quarter cup of rice and up to a cup of beans. All sprinkled with just a bit of cheese, onions and low-fat sour cream.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    robnybbq

I used to not exercise and weighed 235 lbs.

I dropped to 213 lbs by starting to walk and be more conscious about my eating habits. aka slowed down on the beer and junk food.

At 213 lbs I started tracking my calorie intake and started dieting on 2500 cals a day and started weightlifting again. I am now about 161 lbs and deep into a cut and still have only gone down to 2100 cals a day.

It's been a long process where I've been hungry, wanted junk food and beer, and wanted to quit.

If you want it you'll make it happen, if not you'll find an excuse.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Just trying to find my way to do it.  Looking at all avenues.  I have allot of obstacles and sabotages in my way and trying to make them less painful.  If I am hungry and no energy then this will not last.  it has not in the past when I have tried.  I am going to try again shortly - Just planning my attack.  Possibly buying another fridge for just my food as I have given up on depending on the household to go along and help me. 

Was trying to make plans for a meal that I can reheat during the week that will taste good and I can microwave when I get around to eating - hence chilli.  Any meat that is by itself (not buried in a sauce) never tastes good reheated.  Always dried out just like chicken - phew.

I am also looking for other meals I can precook/freeze to just microwave but not found much worthwhile or will take a long time to reheat (frozen spatchcock or pulled pork) boiled in a bag to reheat.  Takes too long when I am on the run.  I am looking at taking a meal and microwaving it for a few minutes and eat.  

If I dont plan and have the food ready to go I WILL not succeed and crap takeout food will be out again.

Garnerville, NY
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    @robnybbq

I cook my protein on Sunday's and Wednesday's. Dinner for Sun-Tue is done on Sunday and dinner for Wed-Fri is done on Wednesday. This is about 12-13 lbs of meat total for the week. I cook chicken direct at 350-400 and refrigerate whatever I'm not eating that day.

I also do hard boiled eggs for breakfast and lunch, 7 a day, makes easy prep the night before.

When I'm not on a keto like I am now, non fat greek yogurt and peanut butter are my go to's as well as ezekiel bread for breakfast and lunch.

I purposely eat light during the day and have huge dinners.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @robnybbq, when I was single and on the road in outside sales Monday through Friday, I used to cook like my mother did on the weekends, from scratch. I would pressure cook a chuck roast, divide it into individual servings, cover it in the broth and freeze. That way, it was never dried out. I don't have that problem now as most everything is eaten by the family in one sitting. I realize that covering grilled chicken, beef, or pork with broth might dilute the smoked taste a bit, but the saving of the texture will be there using this method. Another tip to weight loss is eliminating anything that has preservatives in it. That alone could add up to one pound a week. Make a week's worth of salad and vacuum seal it in a FoodSaver canister and have it with your protein. Quick and easy.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC