Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the Daisy Wheel...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I leave my egg unprotected on our patio. The daisy wheel has become a little tough to spin open when its cold. It has some of the black smokey residue that is on the inside of the dome. My Daisy wheel is only 10 years old LOL. But I am cheap. I have used aluminum foil to clean the inside of the dome when it was good and hot. But that doesn't seem to help the wheel.

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,
    Once a year I boil my daisy wheel on the stove to remove the gunk. Some people put their daisy wheel inside the egg for a long burn off. Hope that helps. LOL,Tom

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,
    scrape off the heavy crud and then soak Miss Daisey overnight in a bath of straight household ammonia. A brush off under running water will take her back to being fresh again. Wear gloves and watch the fumes!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    Options
    Thats what I do. But remember to take out the stainless steel screws. Then after it cools. I melt some crisco and use a silicone basting brush and slather the Daisy wheel with the crisco. Then bring the egg up to around 350 and place parts on the grid upside down. and bake for abount an hour and shut the egg down leaving the parts inside to cool with the egg. Take them out the next day. I ususally do this about 1time every six months after I do a cook.

This works like you are seasoning the Daisy wheel. It will be not stcik fora a while and wont rust as fast.
  • ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]I tend to remove both scews and then spray with Dawn's Power Dissolver. Let the aprts sit for 1/2 hr. Then wet it all and scrub with a wire brush.[p]Howard

• Snowman
    Snowman Posts: 22
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,
    Fire up the egg and let the daisy wheel burn for a while. Works like a charm.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Do any of you repaint the DW with high heat paint? I saw a guy coat his in Crisco, put it on a foil pan and bake it in his oven for an hour. This is how they pre season cast iron cookware and it looked great![p] I may try to do mine if I ever get to use the BGE again... we've been in a burn ban for 2 weeks! I'm about to freak out to use it again![p][p]

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    ChoppedPorkPlate,[p]I store mine inside the grill. When I get done cooking something, I place the daisy wheel inside. Then close the draft door and put the rain cap on. It burns off enough gunk to keep it moving pretty easily, with out burning it all off so the cast iron will rust.[p]Eggecutioner
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    that's what i do.
    it also keeps it at a consistent level of gunk which is very important, because a clean daisy conrols temps different than a slightly gunky one.[p]for example, when i shut my daisy, it is SHUT. no leaks. when you shut a perfectly clean daisy, it can still vent out the tiny gaps.[p]i my jaded opinion, the daisy doesn't want to spin freely. i don't have to worry about re-setting it after i open the lid, because the thing doesn't freewheel.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grillicious
    Options
    SuperDave, I did that to the exhaust manifold of an old car once. Sprayed it with high heat paint, set the oven for as high as it would go and baked it for a couple of hours. After 5K mails it is still holding up. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the daisy wheel as well.

• RRP
    Options
    SuperDave,
    yes I have - the first time I followed the advice of throwing it in the fire to burn off the crud and after that it rusted because the paint was also burnt off. So next time it got yucky I followed the ammonia idea and that cleaned it just fine, but while clean I went ahead and dis-assembled it, wire brushed and then painted with Rustoleum high temp paint - no need to bake it on. Ever since then when yucky I give it the ammonia bath and under it the paint is still intact.

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    stike,[p] That's a good point... but I just tighten the screw down to where I can barely move it, plus I've gotten in the habit of taking the DW off when I open the dome. Don't know why I started doing that except for not wanting to lose my setting, but since I've tightened the screw down, I don't need to remove it, just a habit.
    I've never had a problem with my daisy wheel leaking past the gaps... guess I'm lucky!

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    RRP, of course mine is really rusty, right now. How did you get back in shape to even paint it. Did you use a power tool to get the rust off ? Mine is pretty bad.

• RRP
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    yes - I have an 8" wire wheel on one side of my bench grinder and that made quick work of it. OTOH Rustoleum sells a special primer that adhere/converts rust and then you paint over that.

• Steeler Fan
    Options
    RRP, Thanks for the input. As you can see, I'm on for a few minutes and then look at mail a day later.
    Sorry for the delay but Thanks again.[p]Joe

• RRP
    Options
    Steeler Fan,
    you're welcome...hey while the fire method may be quicker us retired dudes have more time to go the longer route if we want. LOL