Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any "Healthy" chilli recipes out there?

Options
Any "Healthy" chilli recipes out there?  and I mean flavorful like Cowlick chilli but healthy.  Looking for a good recipe that can be adapted to be cooked o nthe Egg or in the house on the stove.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

What're you looking for in the "Healthy" category?  To be honest - I'm not sure there's much "unhealthy" about chili....

Swap out fatty beef with leaner meats, keep sodium to a minimum, keep the cheese layer to a minimum, and keep in mind portion control (I always over-eat on my chili)....

Beans, Tomato, Beef, Onion, Peppers, Spices, simmer for a long arse time....

Am I missing something?

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    i guess its the meat that's the bad thing. 

I hear you on the over eating. 

any tips on counting up the calories in a chilli?

Garnerville, NY
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    You can substitute turkey for the beef and be a little healthier, but @BRush00 is right, don't load it down with tons of cheese and you're gonna be fine.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• BRush00
    Options
    robnybbq said:

any tips on counting up the calories in a chilli?

A Challenge huh?

WOW that would be tough to get accurate but, if you're going to all the effort of counting calories else-where in life, I'm sure you'll be willing here too.

I guess the simplest way would be to add up all of the calories you put into the chili (should be labeled on all the cans), and divide by the number of servings you're able to make....

for example:

1 can beans = 100 calories
    1 can tomatos = 50 calories
    1 chicken breast = 200 calories

= Chili total = 350 calories = 2 bowls = 175 calories/bowl?

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

You can substitute turkey for the beef and be a little healthier, but @BRush00 is right, don't load it down with tons of cheese and you're gonna be fine.

I'd agree with this, chili is also a time you could use 90% or higher lean ground beef, you won't notice it dried out asit is cooked in liquid.

But yeah, limit the cheese/sour cream/guac/tortilla strips, and stick to smaller portions.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Don't use it as a topping for a loaded baked potato. :D
    But man that sounds good right now...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Over the years there have been push and pull threads about chili ingredients, but I swear until this thread I have never read anybody who uses cheese in their chili! That's a new one to me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BRush00
    Options
    RRP said:
    Over the years there have been push and pull threads about chili ingredients, but I swear until this thread I have never read anybody who uses cheese in their chili! That's a new one to me!
    What?  That's just not right....

Sharp - Old Cheddar, with a good hearty/spicy chili and some bread to dunk..... perfect winter meal right there.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    @RRP - you've never seen cheese on chili? I don't think anyone is suggesting using it as an ingredient during cooking, but as a garnish or topping.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if you hit it hard with heat you wont eat so much
    :D maybe a pork chili verde is what your looking for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    Guess maybe cheese in or on chili is a regional thing. Most threads end up with the guys from Texas lamblasting us for putting beans in our chili! LOL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    RRP said:
    Guess maybe cheese in or on chili is a regional thing. Most threads end up with the guys from Texas lamblasting us for putting beans in our chili! LOL
    shred some cheddar on your next batch, you will like it
    :D chili has to many rules, you cant even put it on a plate next to some eggs
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    Chedder and crackers on top..... Mmmm
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Toppings on chili - diced onion, cheese, and a spoon of sour cream = loaded bowl of chili. Good eats!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I live in California and have always put cheese and diced onions on top of my chili, it is even an option in most restaurants.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, google image search for bowl of chili. And try to get out more. :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I make a white bean and turkey chili that uses Indian white chili powder. Not sure it's any leaner but I garnish with paneer, coriander leaf and thick yoghurt.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Mmmm, Chili-cheese dogs, gotta love 'em.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Options
    BRush00 said:

What're you looking for in the "Healthy" category?  To be honest - I'm not sure there's much "unhealthy" about chili....

Swap out fatty beef with leaner meats, keep sodium to a minimum, keep the cheese layer to a minimum, and keep in mind portion control (I always over-eat on my chili)....

Beans, Tomato, Beef, Onion, Peppers, Spices, simmer for a long arse time....

Am I missing something?

If you boil your own raw beans instead of opening a can, it is far easier to keep the sodium content low.  If using canned tomatoes, look for cans with "no added salt".
    use fresh jalapenos, not canned, and pick out a lean meat, not sausage, and it is easy to make any chili-bean recipe healthy.

• RRP
    Options
    I make a white bean and turkey chili that uses Indian white chili powder. Not sure it's any leaner but I garnish with paneer, coriander leaf and thick yoghurt.

WOW! That sounds like the recipe right out of the Mel Brooks Blazzin Saddles movie!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would love to see you eat a bowl Ron! :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• apfroggy0408
    Options

adjust as you'd like, this is a good way to track calories
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Speaking of sodium in canned beans, Goya has a line of low sodium beans that are pretty good. For example, their LS pintos have 115mg per 1/2 cup (less, I believe, if you drain and rinse). Their regular version has 360mg. The LS pintos can be hard to find, but LS kidney beans are everywhere.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    I would love to see you eat a bowl Ron! :((

Steven, I am sure it would be killer if you made it. As I said earlier most every chili thread for years has always ended as a standoff between the Texans and the rest of the world over using beans or not using beans. Then this thread says I have lived under a rock for all my life since I never heard of cheese in chili - and now your recipe takes chili to a whole different direction! I think I'll go eat some beans and sit by the campfire!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Don't sit too close man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zmokin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    VanCamps pork'n'beans.  Ya know how every can has it's token cube of pork fat.
    I like to "improve" my pork'n'beans, by pouring off most of the sauce from the large can, but not washing the sauce off.
    Then I dice up some pork loin, and one medium white onion.  Add in some ketchup and brown sugar, bake for an hour at 350.  Then it truly becomes "Pork and beans", not "token cube of pork fat and beans".

• robnybbq
    Options

adjust as you'd like, this is a good way to track calories

Wow. That's allot of calories. Next...... How do people live on 1500 calories a day?

Garnerville, NY
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I am not that bad but damn

Garnerville, NY
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    NO BEANS!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95