Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FANTASTICO! And - pork butt question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BC Man smoked a boneless turkey breast yesterday, took it to 180 degrees internal, which I thought was perfect (have this "thing" about wanting my poultry very well done), he thought it might have been just a tad overcooked, but it was wonderful. Very moist inside, crusty outside. He used one of Dizzy Pig's rubs, but he can't remember which one. I have the sampler pack, and since he used one on a prime rid NY day, I will need to determine which was which by process of elimination, so I can reorder the big girl size. Both excellent, I might add. [p]Question about pork butt: I want to have a small party in a couple of weeks, but prefer to cook the butts a day or so ahead of time. Stick them in the oven to reheat the day of. Has anyone done this? Does it remain fresh and yummy when it isn't fresh off the Egg? This, before I attempt an all nighter, so will probably do a couple of smaller ones until I've experimented with doing one all night. [p]Thanks!

Comments

• Bear Country Woman,[p]Absolutely!! I've cooked on Friday and served on sunday after pulling and just zip locking the stuff, and I've cooked and vacuum sealed it, frozen it for a month or two and THEN cooked it, and it's STILL awesome!![p]Good luck and let us know how it turns out.[p]BTW, to reheat, I usually throw about 3 or 4 pounds in a crock pot with one can of coke and it comes out perfect. Don't ask why cuz I don't know. I learned that here and just took it for what it's worth.
  • KBuck
    KBuck Posts: 42
    Bear Country Woman,
    Since you will have it done ahead of time, you might want to use the pulled pork in some apps like ABTs or quesadillas. Also ad some of your favorite sauces to some of the pulled pork before you Ziploc (or food saver) it. Like spaghetti sauce it can get better with time.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Dos Heuvos,
    and it has to be regular Coke - not diet Coke nor can you substitute RC nor Pispi either - only Coke works.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    RRP,
    I tried this for holiday parties and it works like a charm. I never told anyone about the coke, but everyone raved about the pulled pork, which I had Egged a week or so earlier and froze in ziplock bags.
    Cheers,
    G.

• RRP,
    I don't recommend the coke for reheating Eastern NC style pulled pork that has a vinegar/redpepper sauce. I tried an experiment and cooked 2 butts and put my normal Eastern NC sauce on them. Reheated them later. One with coke and one with just a little more sauce. Folks around here didn't like the coked one at all. Neither did I.

• RRP
    Gretl,
    I know exactly what you mean. It has been I who has posted the Coke secret on this board for several years now. I got it from an old timer who suggested the same thing of not telling people your secret cauz they will turn up their noses! Instead just be prepared to accept the accolades that will come your way!

• RRP
    Chuck Frank, I don't think I would either! I'm talking about the plain pulled pork as I always serve it with choice of sauce on the side. No, I imagine mixing Coke in your sauced meat could spell disaster!

• Well - probably a lot more questions than that before I get the cook done.[p]That Coke thing sounds pretty gross, but I'll do it. I assume there is no Coke taste - and it doesn't cause burpies. Do I let the meat simmer in the Coke, or just heat and serve? How many 6 to 7 lb. butts will I need to feed 20 people, give or take? I think they're bone-in, but I'm not sure. All I've done so far is look at them at the meat market. Don't wanta do a big all-nighter yet (if ever). Which brings up another question...if I do more than one 6 - 7 lb. butt at a time, does that increase the cooking time? [p]Full of questions in Bear Country. THANKS ALL, for your help!

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bear Country Woman,[p]Coke does work. Some folks use a mixture of Coke and broth. I like to add enough Coke to moisten the PP, toss & reheat in a foil pan, covered at 200°. Just get it hot, don't simmer. Toss again before serving. There will be no taste from the Coke. Two butts will be plenty, most likely there will be enough to send in some go-boxes. Are you doing sandwiches or serving it as a main course?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hi thirdeye,[p]I'll provide rolls for those who want sandwiches. It will be mostly the main course with some sides, which I've not decided on yet. Heck, I haven't even decided if I'm going to do the party. Husb wants to go to Big Bend, leaving after the weekend of the 21st.[p]Thanks. I was thinking crockpot, but was afraid I'd simmer all the good stuff out, and it would be soupy.