Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Lump

I finally found a dealer that sold Rockwood Lump within a 50 mi radius of my house.  I went last week to pick up two bags but was not able to try it out until this past weekend.  So far a I really like it.  I've only smoked a ham and grilled some burgers but I can tell a difference between the Rockwood and the GFS Lump I usually use.  If you have not tried Rockwood I highly recommend trying it out.  The dealer I bought my from sold it for $20 per 20LB bag + tax.

Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited October 2014
    I recently tried Rockwood, liked it. Less smokey than Royal Oak. Next up is a bag of Ozark Oak.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Beautiful dog! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Ok...pics of the truck....please
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    It's good stuff. I've been using it almost exclusively since Wicked Good disappeared from the area and Ace Hardwares in Georgia started carrying Rockwood. Also, recently talked with one of the guys at Rockwood (Jonathan, I think) about a bag I bought. Very nice guys with wonderful customer service, too. It's great to be able to support a small business with a superior product and top notch customer service.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    henapple said:
    Ok...pics of the truck....please
    I would like to see that as well! My son is getting a fully restored 1987 Chevrolet 4x4 V10 Silverado for his birthday in two weeks. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited October 2014
    It is clear that it is a high quality charcoal (easy to light, pops and cracks, gets up to temp) but after using it a while I have to say I like RO/BGE better.  I like the smell of it when it is cooking and it adds more flavor to the meat.   I know, I know...with RO you add the wood you want and not the wood you don't...

The amazing thing is how clean your egg is when you cook with it!  it's crazy.  Every other cook leaves my egg black (not that there is anything wrong with that) and even a 500 degree cook with RO will leave the entire egg white.  So I do like it for pizza cooks.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    I went to get a bag of RW at an Atlanta area Ace yesterday and they told me they are back ordered for 3 weeks. Firecraft here I come for a 5 bag order.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Smokinpig said:

I went to get a bag of RW at an Atlanta area Ace yesterday and they told me they are back ordered for 3 weeks. Firecraft here I come for a 5 bag order.

They shouldn't be......they had a truckload leave here last week. I'll check it out. Maybe theyre being cautious with the 3 weeks.
  • pkaboo1
    pkaboo1 Posts: 115
    You drove 100 miles roundtrip, and got 2 bags ?
    Snellville,Ga.
  • Smokinpig
    @stlcharcoal thanks for looking into it, it was just an employee reciting what he had been told I am sure. I went ahead and hit up firecraft this morning for 100 pounds. Love your charcoal. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I won't use anything but Rockwood since I got introduced to it. It performs well in every aspect of my range of cooking. 

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Smokinpig said:
    @stlcharcoal thanks for looking into it, it was just an employee reciting what he had been told I am sure. I went ahead and hit up firecraft this morning for 100 pounds. Love your charcoal. 
    Firecraft, Buy 4 get one free as opposed to Ace.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • More pics of the Kraut
  • Smokinpig
    @JRWhitee you are correct. A little more than a bag free when you add tax and it comes to me rather than me to it. A deal no doubt.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    I use Cedar Grove..great stuff

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
    @pkaboo1, no i was heading to the eastside of the state and it was on my way.  I was getting at the closest dealer was over 100 miles one way from my house.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Smokinpig said:

Yep, that's the norm.  I just try to keep on top of it for PR reasons--because sometimes they try to blame us for it.  It doesn't take long for it to get back to us, and then I'll call and have a talk with their district people or store managers on where the finger should have been pointed.

I'm showing they have 1700 bags in stock in Gainesville--so some of that truckload has already left their warehouse going to the stores.  Per the report, there's about a dozen stores that have had their orders fulfilled........so check back in a day or two and they'll probably have it in stock.

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
     Here are some pictures of my truck @henapple & @johnkitchens.  It is a 84 Chevy PU, 9" lift, 383 Stroker for a motor.  I bought it when I was 16 and my Dad and I did a complete frame up restoration on it.  It took us about three years to complete.  All body parts are from Georgia, the only thing that is on the truck now that was on the old truck is the frame.

imageimageimage

Thanks @johnkitchens, she will be 6 months old on Friday. 

She use to be this small lol

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sweet truck. .cute puppy
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Smokinpig
    5 bags delivered from firecraft this morning. Been out since Sunday so I am back in business, should cover me until the end of the year.

LBGE Atlanta, GA