Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. Cigars

I did not smoke any tobacco product in my life until I got my Egg about 7 months ago. Then I tried some backwoods cigars, the ones in a foil package, and they were good.Two days ago my cigar smoking buddy gave me a real cigar called a La Gloria cuban corona, and I really liked it, it was so relaxing sitting next to the Egg and enjoying the cigar.

So yesterday off to the Cigar Hut I went to get a humidor and some cigars.

I got a Xikar travel humidor and some cigars. The cheap one is a Perdomo Tabacalera, the next one is a Camacho, and the most expensive is a Perdomo 20th anniversary cigar.

I am a beginner smoker so I need your opinions on what I have and advice on which cigars I should try. @Hapster I am hoping you will weigh in on this, since from reading your posts you seem to know a lot about cigars.

Thanks, MeTed!
Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Your going to like what you like and its going to take some time for you to figure out what you really enjoy. The lighter color the wrapper the more mild the stick. I for one enjoy a fine maduro. My go to stick is Nub, 5 Vegas and diesel. Oh and check out cigars international online. Lots of sampler packs. Great deals and fast delivery
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Thanks @grege345 I plan trying a lot more different sticks.
    Belleville, Michigan

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    You can go years without smoking the same stick twice. In the beginning it was overwhelming. I've gone to the cigar fest by me for the past 5 years and I get at least 100 different cigars along with other swag for the price of admission. 100$ ticket. People travel from all over to come. It's a blast. Enjoy the journey. Btw keep a log of what you don't like
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    +1 on cigars international. For a while had the cigar of the month club that sent 4 new cigars a month. I found it a good way to sample to see what I like. 5 Vegas, rocket Patel Connecticut, Arturo fuente Hemingway, avo xo Grege345 - jets fan? I am sort of. I am losing interest and getting ready to dump my season tix. Do you live in the area NYC area?

Garnerville, NY
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507

While I admit I have purchased some cigars on-line, your local store should be the go to place,  they should have the knowledge to guide you.  For the humidor I would suggest also getting a desk top or chest, they tend to be better than the travel ones for long term storage, and will allow you to store an entire box at a time. 

The next recommendation is to get a nice cutter, I have Xikar folding it is deadly sharp and the scissor cutting action is helpful.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I started out with Macanudo's, but since have has a LA Gloria Cubana your well on your way. I like Maduro wrappers which I darker brown wrapper. Cameroon wrappers are my favorite and Arturo Fuente is my favorite cigar manufacturer. They make cigar called a curly head deluxe that at are around $3 a stick. Cigar International I a great on line place to get cigars at a good price. I also like to smoke a pipe and have 4 right now. I too can go months withoutsmoking then I will have 2 in one day. Ask your local cigar for advice and just keep trying new cigars. Below are photos of my humidor.
    @robnybbq‌ I will have to check out the cigar of the month cigar from CI. That sounds a great way to go.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Here's what I'd tell a beginner...

Xikar for cutters and lighters.. they have a warranty & customer service to match our eggs :)

Start small, just get a simple desktop humidor... I have the Xikar travel one, love it, but its not for long term storage. When I take it up to camp for the golf outing or deer season, my wife's cousins call it the "Nuclear Football" and suggest I chain it to my wrist :))

Go to a local shop and ask for recommendations, try a mild, medium, and full body stick. Stay in the middle range as far as ring gauge and length for now until you find your flavor preference. I like to buy local to try different sticks and to avoid the wait of ordering online; however, when I do pull the trigger on a box or bundle quantity, I order from here
    http://www.cigarplace.biz/

Great prices and outstanding customer service... in fact I have a box of Casa Magna Colorado Toritos due in the this week. They are my favorite stick and I highly recommend you try them; also they smell good to be around, gotten more compliments on the way they smell when I'm smoking them vs any other cigars I light.

Start slow, be patient... smoking a cigar is supposed to be a relaxing pursuit.

Enjoy!
  • MeTed
    Thanks
       @grege345, I am going to check out the cigar fest.
       @robnybbq good idea on cigars international,
       @Texansurf, the store by me has a nice desk top lined with cedar that I have my eye on.
       @Ladeback69 nice collection, I hope to have something like that soon!
       @hapster I assume Xikar is the way to go for accessories so I will stick with them and I am going to stop in and get a Casa Maga Colorado Torito tomorrow. 

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

MeTed
    Belleville, Michigan

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Make sure it's Spanish cedar. Look into heartfelt beads. Nub Connecticut is a good medium smoke.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MeTed
    @henapple, what heartfelt beads?
    Belleville, Michigan

• henapple

Cigar Humidor Humidity Beads - 1/2 lb https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H6813K/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_9wymub1DC67HA

Pm me your address and I'll send you some. Doesn't take much.
  • MeTed
    @henapple thank you for the offer but I do not know how to send a PM. If they are something I can buy at the cigar store I will go get some. Again thanks for the offer but I am a low tech man and do not know how to PM.
    Belleville, Michigan

• henapple
    Just hit henapple and it'll be there. If not amazon has them.
  • I really like Sweet Janes from the Deadwood Tobacco Co in Deadwood SD

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Let me first say that I don't smoke and never have. But I dip Copenhagen. A habit I picked up at age 4 while farming with my Grand Father. Also I chew tobacco. I love just about all smokeless tobacco. That said, several months back I was working out in the Gulf of Mexico on the spooling vessel Deep Blue. I picked up some Romeo and Juliet cigars from the ships commonisary for brother Hapster. For whatever reason he did not want them. So I have been chewing them. I can't speak for how they smoke as I do not smoke but they have a great taste to say the least. You may want to give them a try if you can locate them. Just thought I would share my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Been smoking cigars for a few now, started at 17, I know I'm a bad ass.

I order online from holts.com when they have awesome deals.

If you have a good cigar shop around they're always worth checking around for random sticks.

I like ordering samplers but then get upset that there's not more of the ones that I do like!
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• SGH
    Another one that I enjoy chewing is White Owl. Again I have no idea as to how it smokes.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    White Owl? Damn redneck.
  • SGH
    @henapple‌
    You do realize that I'm from the very Heart of Dixie my friend. Red blooded and red necked for sure!! Wouldn't have it any other way brother Apple.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    But White Owl? >:)
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    I only chew them. They chew excellent my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

y'know - every once in awhile, I get the idea in my head that I should try cigars again. 

Then the next day, I always end up with the feeling that cigars just aren't my thing.  The only cigar I've had that I enjoyed a whole bunch - I have no idea what it was, just remember the setting.

I took the cigar to the balcony outside of a crowded room, lit up, sat back, and watched 30 minutes or so of my wedding reception.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    You've begun another habit. Some say good my wife says endured. But cigars are best with friends and liquid beverages. I also like a fire going as well. That said, off to Paso in a little over a week for hand rolled cigar and port. Wife is going so she can pick one up for the son who has work and classes.

Welcome to another of the BGE family habits
  • hapster
    SGH said:
    Let me first say that I don't smoke and never have. But I dip Copenhagen. A habit I picked up at age 4 while farming with my Grand Father. Also I chew tobacco. I love just about all smokeless tobacco. That said, several months back I was working out in the Gulf of Mexico on the spooling vessel Deep Blue. I picked up some Romeo and Juliet cigars from the ships commonisary for brother Hapster. For whatever reason he did not want them. So I have been chewing them. I can't speak for how they smoke as I do not smoke but they have a great taste to say the least. You may want to give them a try if you can locate them. Just thought I would share my friend.
    I do not recall this at all... I certainly never turn down cigars.. If you sent me a PM I guess I never received it.
    I appreciate you thinking of me however :)
  • SGH
    @hapster‌
    Yes sir. It was March 18 if memory serves. I saw the cigars and purchased them because they are Cuban and not for sale state side. You respectively declined the offer saying that you had just stocked your humidifier. My thought was that you may not have wanted them because they are illegal to posess. I will find the thread tonight. At any rate they are a fine chew for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    SGH said:
    @hapster‌ Yes sir. It was March 18 if memory serves. I saw the cigars and purchased them because they are Cuban and not for sale state side. You respectively declined the offer saying that you had just stocked your humidifier. My thought was that you may not have wanted them because they are illegal to posess. I will find the thread tonight. At any rate they are a fine chew for sure.
    You can buy me cuban cigars anytime you like I will gladly smoke them, legal or not.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hapster

SGH said:
    @hapster‌ Yes sir. It was March 18 if memory serves. I saw the cigars and purchased them because they are Cuban and not for sale state side. You respectively declined the offer saying that you had just stocked your humidifier. My thought was that you may not have wanted them because they are illegal to posess. I will find the thread tonight. At any rate they are a fine chew for sure.
    It was April 20th actually... Here is the link. Certainly wasn't the brand or nationality, I don't have that big of humidor (yet) I really do appreciate you thinking of me though... I have chewed tobacco for years, mostly now it just while driving, and I use the pouches instead of long cut (easier for work) but I never thought to chew one of my cigars like chaw... Not sure I could bring myself to take apart a finely crafted stick and do that to it :)

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1495513#Comment_1495513
  • henapple
    @SGH‌. .if you're chewing Cuban cigars I'm driving south to kick your ass...I'll have to bring @cazzy with me though.... :((
  • SGH
    @henapple‌
    You better bring more than that if you want to win. My big black bodygaurd is down for the next 2 weeks. He is 6 feet 7 inches tall and weighs a ready 285 pounds. He's got 20" guns hanging off of both shoulders and he absolutely hates anyone who isn't black. Yall come get some my friends ;)
    He will dismantle Cazzy piece by piece with a smile on his face.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    ****, @cazzy will handle ya'll while I attend to unit 6.