Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Hung Chicken.

Options

Comments

• SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    SGH said:
    Lump- OO. Wood- Oak & Pecan. Smoker- Unit 6. Reverse flow off set. Rub- Salt, pepper, cayenne, parsley and onion. Set up- Indirect & hung. (Meat Hook) Temp- 375 degrees from take off to touch down.
    Looks Good!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @jcaspary‌
    The best cooking hooks on the market come from Pit Barrel Cooker. The offset in their hooks is a real life saver.
    I highly recommend them.
    imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    That is beautiful brother! How can EGGERS adapt your 'vertical cabinet #6' method to our smaller units my friend?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I love what I'm seeing my friend..... Chicken idea on hooks I now understand and it does look fantastic. Enjoy!!!
  • SGH
    Options
    Unit 6 screaming at 375 degrees. On the egg, 375 is nothing. On a offset its darn near nuclear. Don't run your offsets this hard my friends.
    imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Look at this pic closely my friends. The Unit is burning oak and pecan logs only. Note what the smoke looks like. It's this smoke here that you can lay to meat at will for hours untold without over smoking. True blue if you will.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Pushing Unit 6 hard.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Poor mans version of garlic bread.image

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Now you're talking....
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Cool cook brother! Some day I'll splurge on ann offset... :D
  • SGH
    Options
    The Hung Bird is done.

imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It looks great!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Man I can almost taste that one all the way from Okinawa.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    hapster said:
    @SGH‌ I'd have probably hung half a dozen more just for the skin... And then turned the rest into some damn fine chicken salad. Looks good!
    I too, love eating the skin of my victims! Sometimes with fava beans and a nice chianti.
    >:)
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice Bird Scottie. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great looking chicken. I've got some rod at work. I think I'll make me a way to hang a chicken in the egg. What's there to loose? :-??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm thinking since you are so obsessed with unit 6, maybe I need to come get that pitmaker cabinet since you are neglecting her. ;) i bet I could keep her company for a while.

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @berndcrisp‌
    I'm going to tell you something and this is the honest truth my friend. The egg can and will turn out consistently better poultry than Unit 6. So help me God that's a absolute fact. The big unit is tuned more toward massive primals and subprimals. Not poultry. I only threw the chicken in because I was bringing Unit 6 online for some goat heads that I'm cooking tonight. I'm speaking the truth above. The egg and Unit 1 are far and away my choice for poultry. It's not even close my friend. The egg really shines on poultry and prime rib. Why? Moisture retention without using a water pan. When it comes to poultry, the egg and Unit 1 stand head and shoulders above Unit 6 without question or doubt. That is why I used Unit 1 at brisket camp. To turn out some mind blowing chicken. There is no perfect cooker my friend. Not even Unit 6. Unit 1 is as close to perfect as it gets.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    I'm not neglecting her my friend. She is coming up to temp and online as we speak my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @SGH i was teasing you. I really do think I'd like something similat to your unit 6 but a little smaller. I want something I can pull to the camp or wherever. I'll definitely be getting together with you to come up with a plan. Unfortunately I didnt have any luck hunting this weekend but what a beautiful weekend. Nice a cool. Sunday evening it was just plain pretty out in the woods. This was the view from my blind. imageimage

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @Phatchris‌
    Let me know when you want one. I can save you a fortune brother Phat.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    Breath taking view my friend. Hey a smaller unit is no problem brother. Just let me know.

Status- Standing by.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So your 'hanging chicken' cannot be replicated in an EGG? Or am I reading your reply wrong my friend?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You could probably rig up a way to run wire through top vent and tie to a hook?

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @SJ21XDC‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    @berndcrisp‌
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother anzy.
    @Phatchris‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Phat.
    @JohnInCarolina‌
    @johnkitchens‌
    @JRWhitee‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Whitee.
    @anton‌
    @lkapigian‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Pig.
    @Jeremiah‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Miah.
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Big.

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Whoever taught you your manners kinda went overboard!

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Some are brothers and some are friends? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    Options
    @berndcrisp‌
    Due to size limitations on the egg, no matter how you hang it you would still be picking up a lot of reflective heat from the ceramics. Reflective heat is one of the modes of operation that the egg uses to cook. My point? There really is no advantage to hanging meat in a ceramic cooker. Hanging in a vertical cabinet is another story. By hooking and hanging you are avoiding direct radiant heat. You are also hanging in centerline to reduce reflective heat. This works on a vertical due to the immense size of the unit. You have room to move away from the walls. This is not the case on the egg due to its small stature. When hanging in a vertical, you are now forcing a lot of the cooking to be done by "draft". Again something the egg lacks. Long story short, there is no benefit at all by hanging on a ceramic cooker. It's very logistics negate it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You could probably rig up a way to run wire through top vent and tie to a hook?

To much thought on this already and it's @sgh fault. Don't make fun of the quick schetch but this is what I am thinkin image Now that I read it I evidently didn't have spellcheck on. Satinless is supposed to be stainless.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.