Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's cook (2 hits and a meh)

Options
So last night I tried my first full meal on the egg. ABT's with smoked Gouda and cream cheese, Eggplant boats, and some beer can chicken (I went with beer can over spatchcock to conserve grill space for the ABT's and eggplant). I did everything at 350 raised direct, ABTs for 1 hour, eggplant for about 20 minutes, chicken 1hr20m. The ABT's were absolutely amazing. My neighbor had brought me over some jalapeños from his garden, and I wanted to take him a few of the finished product, but he wasn't home. The eggplant boats were also quite good. I scooped out the eggplant, sautéed the eggplant meat with some tomatoes, garlic, and salt, mixed in some feta, then stuffed them back inside the eggplant with some parm cheese on top. The chickens, while nicely cooked (very tender and juicy) weren't my best chicken ever. I used to do a very good grilled/smoked chicken on my old charcoal grill that my kids would devour. They ate the chicken last night, but were less than impressed with it. I couldn't get the skin very crispy, and the meat was a little bland. I used a basic salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary rub, which I probably could kick up a bit more, and no marinade or brine. Any suggestions, especially for the chicken, would be greatly appreciated. Pics:
Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Sounds like two home runs and a double.  That's a good batting average and a great OPS.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

EVOO light rub

Dizzy Dust

Apple Smoke

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

350* Raised Direct for 50-60 minutes
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options

Conserving space sounds like a good argument for a second Egg. :))

Food looks awesome!  Kick up the spice and I'm sure they will devour it also.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    z
    jcaspary said:

Oh, I agree with you completely. However, my wife is quick to point out that we just our first egg last weekend, and we're still saving up for a nice table to put the damn thing in. Maybe by next year I'll convinve her that we need to add a small...
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    z
    jcaspary said:

Oh, I agree with you completely. However, my wife is quick to point out that we just our first egg last weekend, and we're still saving up for a nice table to put the damn thing in. Maybe by next year I'll convinve her that we need to add a small...
    I might suggest you buy a table with a hole for a small already in it.  That way, when you buy the small egg, you can tell your wife you're just "fixing a hole where the rain gets in" :)
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.