Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indian street food= Tandoori chicken kathi rolls

Options

I've posted about kathi rolls before, but this is the first time they were completely egged! Pics are from my phone, and therefore not great.

Kathi rolls are a popular street food snack in Kolkata (also called "Frankies" in Mumbai), kind of like a taco or fajita for one.

Anyways, I marinated some chicken tenderloins in yogurt, tandoori masala (thank you @Canugghead and @Little_Steven!), mayo, ginger paste, and garlic paste. I made extra chicken for lunches etc during the week.

Sautéed some onions, and garlic with a bit of chicken tikka masala (thanks again to the aforementioned Canucks) on the  Tough Guy, which I dropped in the egg after the chicken was done.

then beat an egg and poured it onto the hot griddle. immediately topped with a wheat tortilla (made in-house at the local Kroger)

assembly - some chicken, some onions, Bengali mustard sauce, Maggi Hot & Sweet ketchup. wrapped in newspaper, just like they do back home.

plated shot:image

It was too beautiful a morning here in the swamp to not light up the egg and sit outside for a spell. I cant think of a better way to start the day :)

[whew! feels nice to post a cook after so long!!]

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Options
    Nice cook, and nice swamp! Welcome back bro.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Awesome! Bookmarked. Glad to see you back at it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Beautiful spot and the food looks equally as tasty. Nice job and glad to see you back @caliking‌
    Greensboro, NC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Will need to try that. Thanks for posting!

Great to see you back again BTW.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hey, look at me. ..I'm awsheet. I haven't posted in 6 months but I'm a cooking god. Bow before me. [-O< :D :(
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice to see you back good buddy!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Fantastic cook ... It's my favorite snack but I've always made it on stove. Thanks for posting this and I will try it next time on the BGE.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Welcome back stranger! LS deserves all the thanks for the spices  :\"> 
    Great looking cook, I've yet to try kathi rolls on the egg, will have to use a wok or try my baking steel.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the kind comments. Good to know that I was missed :) 

I've been lurking, and getting some cooks done, but just haven't been with it enough to take pics and post threads about them. I figured things were getting out of hand when someone sent a PM asking if I was doing okay. So I woke up early on Sunday to get these ready for breakfast, and enjoyed a wonderful morning egging, while everyone else was asleep. 

@henapple - I'm not bowing anywhere close to you, if you still have that binky and the bacon. Not my idea of a fun Saturday night.

@fljoemon - are you familiar with kathi rolls? Spent anytime in Kolkata?

@Canugghead - they don't taste anywhere as good as the ones we get on Park Street or other places in Kolkata, but they're decent! Scratches the itch, at least. 

If you make them on a baking steel, be ready to slap the parantha/tortilla/roti on as soon as you pour the egg on - the egg tends to run a bit on a flat surface. My tawa has a slight convexity, which keeps the egg from running all over, but the tawa doesn't fit on the egg.

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @caliking .. Yes .. I have been to Nizams for their famous kati rolls, however another place .. I believe it was called Kusum Snacks Bar that had better kati rolls.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • caliking
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @caliking .. Yes .. I have been to Nizams for their famous kati rolls, however another place .. I believe it was called Kusum Snacks Bar that had better kati rolls.

You've got street cred, boss :)

Nizam's supposedly invented the kathi roll, named so because the meat was cooked on wood seekhs ("kathi" in Bengali). My dad lives about a 10 min walk from Kusum's. and that's our favorite roll place too.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    looks great - thanks for the bookmark.

Do you buy "bengali mustard sauce" and "hot & sweet ketchup" or make them at home?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job @caliking I wondered what happened to you.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is a great looking meal. The "swamp" isn't too shabby either! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    Options
    NDG said:
    looks great - thanks for the bookmark.

Do you buy "bengali mustard sauce" and "hot & sweet ketchup" or make them at home?

Both items were purchased - the mustard sauce is called "kasundi" and is hot and pungent (think horseradish or wasabi). Its nothing like the yellow mustard made with a lot of vinegar. Some Indian grocers have it, but I usually find it at Bangladeshi stores.

The Hot & Sweet Ketchup is made by Maggi. The Indian line of those sauces includes different flavors, like a tamarind one, a masala one, and a chili garlic one. Different flavors are sold in other Asian countries too, e.g. Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand.

That is a great looking meal. The "swamp" isn't too shabby either! 
    Thanks! I refer to Houston as the "swamp" because of our high humidity and mosquitoes. I have to fog the yard twice a week to keep the 'skeeters from flying off with the baby!

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @caliking I get it now! I live in Georgia, and we also get hit with the high humidity and mosquitoes as well. 

I also egg near my pool. I am not much of a pool person, but I like seeing the water, and the way it all looks when I am egging. I guess it relaxes me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @caliking, thanks for the tip.
    @fljoemon, were you visiting or are you from Kolkata? I lived there many moons ago, can't wait to try kathi rolls when we revisit early next year!

We stopped going to Nizam's because they no longer serves beef.  A newer place, Bihar, almost next door, is where we frequent in recent years, for beef and khiri (cow udder) kebab kathi rolls. Damn, I'm drooling!

canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for the kind comments. Good to know that I was missed :) 

I've been lurking, and getting some cooks done, but just haven't been with it enough to take pics and post threads about them. I figured things were getting out of hand when someone sent a PM asking if I was doing okay. So I woke up early on Sunday to get these ready for breakfast, and enjoyed a wonderful morning egging, while everyone else was asleep. 

@henapple - I'm not bowing anywhere close to you, if you still have that binky and the bacon. Not my idea of a fun Saturday night.

@fljoemon - are you familiar with kathi rolls? Spent anytime in Kolkata?

@Canugghead - they don't taste anywhere as good as the ones we get on Park Street or other places in Kolkata, but they're decent! Scratches the itch, at least. 

If you make them on a baking steel, be ready to slap the parantha/tortilla/roti on as soon as you pour the egg on - the egg tends to run a bit on a flat surface. My tawa has a slight convexity, which keeps the egg from running all over, but the tawa doesn't fit on the egg.
    You are the bomb man! I have a tawa but it is small. I love dosa (please forgive me) and I would love to get something to get something bigger.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It looks good! Good to see you back posting! :)

Options
    @fljoemon, were you visiting or are you from Kolkata? I lived there many moons ago, can't wait to try kathi rolls when we revisit early next year!

@Canugghead .. I was visiting ... I am originally from Bombay (Mumbai) and grew up eating Frankies in the suburbs of Bandra.

@Little_Steven ... I have a Cast Iron Pizza Pan that I use for Dosas .. picked it up on amazon.com on sale for approx $29 (http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • caliking
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are the bomb man! I have a tawa but it is small. I love dosa (please forgive me) and I would love to get something to get something bigger.

no hatin' on dosas from me! I love dosas too :) As @fljoemon mentioned, a CI pizza pan should work. That's a good price too - they were $50 Stateside the last time I checked. But check your local Indian store - they should have large flat tavas for dosa. The stores here stock them. A flat tava works best for dosas, so  the batter can  spread to make a thin crispy dosa. Had I known you wanted one, I would have brought one to Salado for you.

@Canugghead - I'm going to go check out those khiri kabab rolls when I'm home. They sound interesting.

@johnkitchens - I totally agree with you. Our property is by a man-made "lake", but all the water around the eggdom is definitely relaxing. I like it best early in the morning when everything is quiet.

• Canugghead
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Little_Steven - our favourite pan for dosa is a well seasoned 12-in no name CI pan.

@caliking - when you visit Bihar, try one stick each of beef kebab and khiri kebab in the same roll!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Little_Steven  just made some today. If we can get our acts together, may be some day we can fry some up at you place when we visit the friend in Orangeville :))
    canuckland