Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm interested in purchasing a dutch oven for doing stews, chili, and whatever else I can cook up in there. I'd like to know if anyone has any info on where to purchase one and what size to get. I've looked on the Lodge site and considered a camping oven, but don't know what size. I like the idea of the camping oven because the lid doubles as a griddle when inverted, or at least that's what the description says. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    Eggsessed, 1) where to purchase - not sure where you are but any sporting goods store (worth what they claim) will carry Lodge stuff. If not, most large chain stores carry them, selection seems a bit limited, though. 2) size - penzon. How many are you cooking for? What are you cooking?[p]To date, I have 4 DO's - two 12" and two 10". One set has legs and the others don't. If you are really taking the DO camping, you need the one with legs (unless you are taking the BGE :))- to get coals under it. The ones without legs are great for in the house and the BGE.[p]I love my BGE's - have two large ones. I also love cooking with cast iron. Unless I am making something weird, I grab one of my Lodge fry pans - ummm...have several of those too.
    Two 10" (round), 12" square and a 14" (round). And a deep fryer. And a griddle or two.[p]Just this past weekend I did some steaks - blackened - on the BGE. Fired up the BGE, wait for the fire to settle down (no smoke), put a cast iron fry pan on and took the BGE up to 600 +/-. Good stuff. Very versitle combo - blackened tuna, steak, catfish, etc., - use the imagination.[p]I would start with a 12", no leg, DO - just my opinion, but the most versatile.[p]HTH.[p]LVM[p]

• LasVegasMac,
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds to me like you're a big fan of cooking w/ cast iron on the Egg. I just got my large three days before Thanksgiving and am loving it. In fact that's how I got this name. My wife said that I was obsessed w/ my egg. I'm Eggsessed.
    I live in the St. Louis area and we've got a Bass Pro Shop close by. I might check them out to see what kind of selection they have. I'd also like a griddle/skillet, but was concerned about not being able to close the egg due to the handle on the skillet. That must not be a concern for you, though. We don't do any camping, so I'd just be Eggin in the back yard. Thanks for the help.

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    Eggsessed,We've found a couple of round griddles, smooth on one side and raise grid on the other, with little short
    handles on the sides, at a TJ-Max or Marshalls. You can also hacksaw or grind handles off of skillets and pans. I have picked up several cast pieces at Goodwill or Salvation Army for a great price. A LOT OF FOLKS DON'T LIKE CAST IRON COOKWARE and have it in yard sales or give it to one of the above.
    There is a Dutch Oven Society that believe in Duch Ovens like we here believe in EGGS.[p]Good Eggin' to You,
    Poppasam

• Poppasam,
    You can get a good deal on Lodge Dutch ovens at Amazon.com with free shipping for orders over $25
    jack

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    jack h,Dutch ovens I don't need. I've got several different sizes with legs and without. My cast iron collection has kinda got out of hand. I've also got my share of skillets and grills. Ever time I look at something else my wife just tries to lead me away.
    Good Eggin'
    to You,
    Poppasam