Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Evolution of a table, enter the Blackstone

Bought a mini BGE in 2008 & built a plain table for it to match the existing large table:

Then I had a brick table built so the old wooden table became extra prep space:

Then around 2011 I happened upon a second Large BGE so I cut the hole out larger, dropped the shelf down a good bit, & sunk her in:

Added some removable side shelves to get back the prep space I lost:

Then they put this thing on sale & made it irresistible:

I’ve never been a fan of these kind of skinny metal legs & small wheels so, after contemplation, decided to evict the second egg from the table & get rid of it in favor of the Blackstone. Of course, it didn’t fit into the existing hole & there was no way of reusing the same wood up top so off it came, 2 ten foot lengths of new cedar deck & some cutting later we have this:

Stained to match the rest of itself:

And in with the new:

The metal base sits on some 2x3’s:

I had to lower the shelf another couple of inches to accommodate the propane tank:

Side shelves back on, though I have to trim some off the rails, they’re now hitting the new 2x3’s:

A quick test burn, probably should’ve done this before I pissed away a whole day retrofitting things :

We’re ready for a party on the porch:

Have some dough rising now, we’ll see how this thing works today

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    That is very slick!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice setup! I started a batch of dough last night. Not sure when my first pizza bake will be. Plan to test fire this afternoon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Nice
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Nice job on the set up! 

I have one of their flat top grills (griddle) and it is extremely well made and cooks like a commercial flat top.  If this pizza cooker is as good as that flat top I know you'll be happy with it.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    How big is it? I have limited outdoor storage space and it doesn't seem too bad. Could I stick it in the corner of my garage?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    We expect this kind of heresy from an egg hater. Everyone knows the best pizza comes from an egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    I'm not an egg hater but my egg will never see another pizza.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    We expect this kind of heresy from an egg hater. Everyone knows the best pizza comes from an egg.
    simply evolution my lad
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I believe @focker picked up a Black Stone 6-8 months ago
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited October 2014

Nice job on the set up! 

I have one of their flat top grills (griddle) and it is extremely well made and cooks like a commercial flat top.  If this pizza cooker is as good as that flat top I know you'll be happy with it.

Ditto
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice setup and efficient repurposing of the table x2! Did you make those chairs add well?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Zippylip
    Did a test run on the Blackstone, wanted the most basic of pies to see what the oven brought to the mix, if anything, over the egg.  Made a quick batch of warm rise dough this morning, was kind of cold today so it took a good 6 hours to double in size but when it did I tossed it on the peel:

simple tomato sauce:

shredded mozzarella:

total pre-heat time was about 15 minutes:

had a little snafu, first pie wasn’t on 10 seconds when my propane tank kicked, was about a minute or so in the change-over. Still cooked ok:

second pie seemed to perk up more quickly:

after 3 minutes I pulled it, was getting real dark real fast, though probably should’ve given it another 30 seconds & I probably would’ve had some nice char. Regardless, it was delicious:

I started baking pizza over 20 years ago in a crappy electric oven in my first house. First significant upgrade was 13 years ago when I installed gas in my current house & with it a gas stove. Next bump up was 10 years ago when I began baking them outdoors on the egg. I have to say this, the Blackstone once again has increased the quality of my pizza.   Now, over the last 10 years I've probably baked over a thousand pies on the egg and in every conceivable way (different doughs, different temps, different configurations...) so the control group is substantial.  Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, this thing did in 3 minutes what no setup I’ve ever used before it has done, including the egg.  Not really sure how to explain the difference, but for my first time out to eat a pie this good was pretty cool.  If even after playing around with this thing for a few months the pies don't get any better than what I just ate I'd still pick this over the egg for this job any day of the week.

happy in the hut
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @Zippylip
    Thanks so much for posting the review. I slow fermented dough overnight, divided it this morning and it is waiting in the fridge. I'm planning to give it a test run tomorrow night. Without even firing it, I'm glad I bought it based on your review. Can't wait.

I know there will be a pizza party in the future where I will have both the egg and Blackstone running together, wonder if anyone other than me will be able to tell the difference...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That's okay, Marc... I pick my crappy old electric oven over the egg any day of the week. For pizza I mean. Blackstone sure is tempting though. Nice job on the table btw.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    DMW said:
    @Zippylip
    Thanks so much for posting the review. I slow fermented dough overnight, divided it this morning and it is waiting in the fridge. I'm planning to give it a test run tomorrow night. Without even firing it, I'm glad I bought it based on your review. Can't wait.

I know there will be a pizza party in the future where I will have both the egg and Blackstone running together, wonder if anyone other than me will be able to tell the difference...

I'm sure with better quality dough the possibilities are endless.  I'm lazy, although I bake pie about every Sunday I never manage to think far enough in advance to make cold rise.  You will be very glad you bought it after you use it.

That's okay, Marc... I pick my crappy old electric oven over the egg any day of the week. For pizza I mean. Blackstone sure is tempting though. Nice job on the table btw.
    Michael, I wasn't blessed with that nuclear freak machine you seem to have in your kitchen, mine was truly a 'burn everything you put in it except the part that somehow stays frozen' crappy electric oven, hated that thing, hated it. 

Although I still do a good amount of my pies inside (Sicilians, many cast irons...), the regular & thin crusts all went on the egg.  With the Weber replacing the egg for most grilling a long time ago, the Blackstone taking the pizza job, truthfully I'm not all that sure what I'm doing with the egg anymore.  Maybe I'll grow tomatoes in it next summer
    happy in the hut
  • @Zippylip‌, great looking pies. How hot were your upper and lower stones? I have been launching them at 800 upper and 700 lower. I think I might actually dial it back as I am coming to realize NY style is more to my liking.

I like your setup BTW.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    So Steve was right? Haha

I grew mildew in mine this summer. Was unexpectedly out of town for about 10 weeks. No egg, just an electric stove and a Weber. Stove was easier. Weber tasted better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    @Zippylip‌, great looking pies. How hot were your upper and lower stones? I have been launching them at 800 upper and 700 lower. I think I might actually dial it back as I am coming to realize NY style is more to my liking. I like your setup BTW.
    I have no idea, no thermometer to read it, but then again I also have no thermapen or scale either, more of a fly by the seat type.  But I'm a big fan of NY pie too, the texture and flavor of this was right there. 
    happy in the hut
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Awesome job with that table. Got your money worth
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I use your pizza dough recipes all the time. I love your new set-up. If you feel like making extra, give me a call.....

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Zippylip‌. ..sweet.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    If you don't mind, where did you get your Blackstone on sale and how much?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Zippylip
    Griffin said:
    If you don't mind, where did you get your Blackstone on sale and how much?
    $269 at Lowe's, according to the website this is the price until December.  The one I go to however had only 2 in stock, not sure if it's one of those 'while supplies last' sales but if it is & you're contemplating it I'd go grab one today, you won't be sorry.

Actually I bought mine online & clicked off 'store pickup', I did it for convenience only & had no idea they were down to two.  You may want to consider doing that
    happy in the hut
  • caliking
    @Zippylip - great looking pies! The crust has some nice spring to it. Could I bother you for your dough recipe?

• Zippylip
    Sure, my warm rise is pretty simple.  Start with 4 cups of bread flour, add a teaspoon each of salt & yeast, mix it around, then 1.5 cups of water, knead for about 6 minutes.  Separate into 3 balls (for large egg sized pies) or 2 balls for larger 16 inch pies, cover & let rise until it doubles. 

Depending on the temperature in your house, the dough will rise anywhere from an hour or so to half a day.  You can speed this up by popping it in your warming drawer at 100 degrees, then it'll double in about 30 or so minutes.

I wrote about this & a cold-rise method extensively in this post a while back:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/987401/stage-two-pizza-dough-with-o-verbose-commentary

happy in the hut
  • caliking
    Thanks!

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Those pizzas look fantastic.  Congrats on the Blackstone.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035

Great looking pies, and love the "take what you've got and make it better" mindset you applied to the table.

Cheers

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Zippylip
    Turns out the table was too big for my purposes & took up too much valuable real estate in the porch ultimately conflicting with my new hammock zone.  While the table was mobile it was nevertheless unwieldy so I decided to chop about a foot off of it & essentially have the entire design replicate a hand truck so I could keep it in the garage & easily zip it out when needed.

Into the garage & off with the top:

make the cut:

Add the new rails:

Put the chopped top back on:

Screw in the bottle openers & pop in the unit:

To solve the leverage problem & give something to hold onto to drag this thing around, also doubles as a brace to hold the oven in place:

Fortunately I have questionable carpentry skills so the rail that suspends the oven above is at a somewhat significant sloping grade, turns out it's perfect to jam the propane tank in to keep it from moving when I lean the table back to move it around:

Here she is in one of her cooking spots in the hut, next to the other hammock zone:

And finally, a shot of the spot that prompted me to suck up nearly an entire Saturday retromangling this table for the 4th time:

Now I just have to fire this thing up
    happy in the hut