Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - BlackStone (pizza lovers must click)

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Wish I read this thread sooner, the 40% off floor display unit I saw at Lowes few days ago is gone  :((
    Looks like it can be used to cook other stuff, not just pizza.  I'm thinking tandoor!
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wish I read this thread sooner, the 40% off floor display unit I saw at Lowes few days ago is gone  :((
    Looks like it can be used to cook other stuff, not just pizza.  I'm thinking tandoor!
    I was briefly doing some research and came across someone that claimed it makes great naan. I'm looking forward to trying that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Okay, so I admit,I love my toys. And I'm very interested in this. Does it do anything other than cook pizza?
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • DMW
    Options
    @PNWFoodie
    Hopefully others that have had one longer will be along to answer. 

Their website claims you can use it for just about anything. However, there isn't much clearance between the bottom and top stone. So you couldn't use it for anything with much height. I'll bet it would be great for thin steaks. 

I would say given the position of the built in thermometer an Infrared Therm would be a requirement to temp the stone.

Also, FYI, the one I picked up seems to be an improved design over the original. From the research I've been doing, this design hit earlier this year.

Not much in the way of user forums, etc out there on this thing. Most of the info I've been finding is over at http://pizzamaking.com/forum

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    DMW said:
    Also, FYI, the one I picked up seems to be an improved design over the original. From the research I've been doing, this design hit earlier this year.

DMW, what distinguishes it as different from the original?  I'm curious as to whether or not the one I picked up is the old one or the newer one. 
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • DMW
    Options
    @Zippylip
    I'm still trying to figure all the differences out. The newer design has a shelf for the propane tank to sit on. On the older version the tank sat beside the oven. As far as I can tell, that is the easy way to tell the difference.

Another big improvement is the heat deflector in place of the "glow bar". I have never seen one with the glow bar, but it was a big improvement apparently.

Also, not sure if you have unpacked yours yet or not, but the stickers are a pain to remove. I just found a tip to use a hairdryer to slowly heat and peel them. I wish I would have found that before I tried to get them off. I still need to remove the stickers on the shelf, will try then.

Lots of info over here:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

The new one is is 5 psi compared to 10 psi. I have the 10 psi and it actually turn it down so it don't get to hot unless I'm doing a neo pie. Also the shaft that goes from the roti to the platter I think is longer.

I bought a cast iron round griddle and have done steaks, hot dogs, burgers. I also cut my ribs and put them in there to get a quick char/crust on them to see how they were that way.

If I didn't already have a back up unit I would buy one for that price.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I have the older one then, two shelves, no propane tank holder...  got rid of all that anyway in favor of a built in table, see thread.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited October 2014
    Options

DMW said:

OK, I might be in trouble... The Blackstone is on sale for $269 at Lowe's until 12/31.

This might be an early Christmas gift to my family. :D
    @dmw 399 for my zip. What the hell?
    $269.00 for my zip @Eggcelsior.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    The reviews on Amazon are far from flattering. Owners...worth it? Thinking of buying today.
    Sandy
  • smokeyj
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:

The reviews on Amazon are far from flattering. Owners...worth it? Thinking of buying today.

Been using mine every Friday since last October, love it. If mine broke today I would buy another one if it wasn't on sale.
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    @smokeyj did you do the bearing(?) mod the reviews mention?
    Sandy
  • smokeyj
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did buy the bearing but really don't notice any difference. That's the only mod I did. Also I think if u move the collar that comes with it to the lower section above the bottom hole you don't need the bearing.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    FWIW.  I don't use mine for anythign other than Pizza.  It would cook other things fine.. but not better than what you would normally use.

I also don't see any reason for the mods but there is a wiki on it if you like to fool around.

I am baking 60 second neo pies with the stock blackstone... 5psi.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Can I use dough fro the local pizzaria o will it burn?
    Sandy
  • smokeyj
    Options
    I have used Walmart dough balls. I get the bottom stone around 600 or so. Not sure how much oil they use so never wanted to go higher.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Love my Blackstone! I dont need to cook pies on the egg anymore. I love the balance of heat from the top and the bottom.  The egg is a challenge to get 700 from the bottom stone and the dome, consistently.  The BS does not suffer this challenge, plus 'doming' the pie at the end is now possible.  First pie I cooked on the BS, pepperoni:

Second one was buffalo chicken, this one was rediculous:

I see the Blackstone as perfect gap cooker, the machine that will take me from my egg pizzas to the eventual WFO.  Cant believe its 269 now from the 299 I paid ... 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Anyone use bought dough on this thing? A lot of the YouTube videos seem to use caputo dough. Anyone done thin crust on this thing?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Anyone use bought dough on this thing? A lot of the YouTube videos seem to use caputo dough. Anyone done thin crust on this thing?
    @hondabbq, I only do thinner crust.  Mine looks thick because the rim puffs up so much from the intense heat.  Those are only cooking in like 3 minutes or less. I am using a recipe that calls for caputo flour, so no store bought dough, yet.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    It's on sale at lowes in the US. $269. On sale until the end of December.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I just whipped out two pizzas on the egg. I'll pass.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    @Terrebandit‌ , post those pics! I love staring at pizza pics.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    @Terrebandit‌ , post those pics! I love staring at pizza pics.

. Oops. We ate em for lunch. Football game.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Pizza < Football ?
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    You can certainly use storebought dough..  Just dont run it as hot.

The temp guage on the front is really worthless.  

I have a lazer temp gun where I can check the real temps of the bottom and top stone.

As long you know what temps should be used (depending on sugar and oil conttent of you dough) any dough can be used in the blackstone.

A NY pie will still take 5-6 minutes.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • hondabbq
    Options
    I have been lurking on pizzamaking.com and there is a guy there named Willard who owns 2stone, he put a post up yesterday that he made a licensing deal with Blackstone. He is at the premium end of pizza ovens and it is assumed that the deal with Blackstone will be for the big box store level. He also stated that there will be 6 new products coming out. this could possible be the reason the price drop on the current Blackstone ovens.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Good news @hondabbq‌. I love that these new products are coming out. It has changed my pizza making dramatically.
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Now I don't know if I want to pull the trigger on this one or wait.
  • DMW
    Options
    @hondabbq Go ahead and buy it in my opinion if you can get a deal on it up there like we can down here. Otherwise you may be waiting for awhile like another rumored cooker that is supposedly coming on the market any day now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Has anyone seen a deal on the Blackstone in Canada?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario