Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TimeStick review...IT ROCKS!!!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
This is my own opinion - it will NOT get me one penny of reward! Recently I posted here about a close out sale at ThermoWorks and I reported that I also bought one of their small TimeSticks which is a clock, and a timer capable of counting down and then back up with a series of alarm stage audible warnings. Well...tonight I was egging an expensive prime rib and I was also wanting to enjoy "an adult beverage" or two and didn't want to trust my memory of adding minutes to a clock etc. I broke out this baby and IT ROCKS! Being placed around the neck then it goes where you wander off to during the cook so you just don't put it down! It also slips in the shirt pocket so it doesn't fall on the counter, or the egg, or the toilet! This ranks right up there at the top for the BEST value received for $19 spent!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• I agree. I bought one about 2 weeks ago. Used it during pizza to time when to rotate the pizza. It is great
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I agree also. Great product. Helps me time how long a beer lasts.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I could not agree more. SWMBO just shook her head when I bought 2 of them at the same time. However, I cannot tell you how often I have had both of them going at the same time. Timing a long cold ferment of bread or pizza dough with one while timing the seconds until I flip what I am cooking. I never use it to tell me when to finish what I am doing, but just to check on it. Great reminder tool!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like the count down timer on my phone. No need for another set of bells goin off here. No disrespect intended by my comments

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like the count down timer on my phone. No need for another set of bells goin off here.
    that's cool - I just don't even want one of those fancy phones and if I step on this unit or it slips in the toilet then so be it! Just $19 down the crapper...but your fancy phone cost what?
  • Mattman3969
    Nothing to me, just a perk of work!!! Prolly no more than your iPad that will do the same thing. Why you always hatin Ron?? You should chill and not think everything is so personal

analyze adapt overcome

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mine should be here in a couple of days. Glad it has a lanyard... haven't worn a shirt with a pocket in years! Hope it's loud enough. I can't hear my Maverick at all unless I hold it up to my ear.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    So, basically it's like the stop watch app on my phone?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    edited October 2014
    Yep. But cost less and has a cord you can hang around your neck so it don't drop in the toilet. I don't know if it can help you if you have fallen and get get up.

analyze adapt overcome

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    So it's basically the old person "I've fallen and I can't get up" stopwatch?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I was close to pullin the trigger on one of those too with my order last week. Thanks for the review but I've got a bunch of kitchen timers laying around here that will get me by.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Crap @Mattman3969‌, I missed you just said that. I'm going to bed now. Shoot.
    Dunedin, FL
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    LOL. There is a sucker born every minute.
  • RRP
    Nothing to me, just a perk of work!!! Prolly no more than your iPad that will do the same thing. Why you always hatin Ron?? You should chill and not think everything is so personal
    me hatin? WHAT a laugh! Let's see here If I can post something  for sake of perspective - OK? I mentioned buying and loving a $19 timer which I paid for myself. You replied about using your fancy phone which YOUR employer paid for and is paying the monthly service fee for you to use, which you call a perk. When I was a working stiff then personal use was not only frowned on, but also policed and dealt with. Yes I do have an iPad - but guess what? I also BOUGHT it myself and pay COMCAST to use it. Do I want to carry my iPad outside and use it as a timer as opposed to carrying a tiny $19 timer around my neck which if I drop, break or whatever then that will be MY loss - not my employer's loss! I guess since I am now 70 years old you and I will never understand these ownership issues. Good night.
  • Mattman3969
    @yzzi - just set your high priced phone to alert you when somebody responds to this thread!!

analyze adapt overcome

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    lol. Ronny is more dramatic than any woman I have ever met. Easy to get his panties in a wad.
  • Mattman3969
    RRP said:
    me hatin? WHAT a laugh! Let's see here If I can post something  for sake of perspective - OK? I mentioned buying and loving a $19 timer which I paid for myself. You replied about using your fancy phone which YOUR employer paid for and is paying the monthly service fee for you to use, which you call a perk. When I was a working stiff then personal use was not only frowned on, but also policed and dealt with. Yes I do have an iPad - but guess what? I also BOUGHT it myself and pay COMCAST to use it. Do I want to carry my iPad outside and use it as a timer as opposed to carrying a tiny $19 timer around my neck which if I drop, break or whatever then that will be MY loss - not my employer's loss! I guess since I am now 70 years old you and I will never understand these ownership issues. Good night.

@RRP - lets just say that my phone is on for work 24/7 and the agreement between me and my employer of 23 yrs is it works both ways be it work or personal. Your snappy response was before you knew anything about my phone being a work phone. As far as the ownership comment you are way off, I am not one of the free loading freaks that takes advantage of their employers, I give more than I get. If I recal you were a controller or something for a bank back in your heyday. My wife is a CRO of a major bank and has the same phone luxuries as I do!! What freakin high horse you riding on bro?? And an FYI - I just typed all this in an IPad that is on my personal account that is debited from my checking account each month. Just because someone disagrees with you it isn't the end if the world dude, the world goes round & round Peace Out I be done with this.

analyze adapt overcome

• GKobi
    GKobi Posts: 1
    It's a freaking timer!  I bought one because I can afford it, and using my iPhone, which I paid for, is less convenient.  No need to reef on the guy for posting a review.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    GKobi said:
    It's a freaking timer!  I bought one because I can afford it, and using my iPhone, which I paid for, is less convenient.  No need to reef on the guy for posting a review.
    Nice first post!  You'll fit in fine here.   Welcome aboard!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    I have a fancy phone and still prefer the timestick... @RRP‌ ....don't sweat the haters... :)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP‌
    On your word I'm ordering 2 my friend. You haven't steered me wrong yet brother. From the Rutland to the pigtail flipper you have been spot on sir. Thanks for all that you do here. Will let you know when they arrive.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    mrrrow pftssstt pfsstt!
    @nolaegghead‌ dat was funny! Aka LOL

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Thanks for posting @RRP‌. Currently I use my phone and the timer on the kitchen stove. Using my phone isn't all that great, but it works. And the stove works great if I'm inside and the flip/check/whatever times are ten minutes or more. It's useless going in the house to come back out in 3 minutes. I'm sure there's an app that could set all kinds of timers, but I wouldn't mind having something like the TimeStick. The app I currently use on my phone only uses whole minutes, which is a pain if you want to flip at 2.5 or 3.5 minutes. Sure the stopwatch function would work fine for that, but I want a reminder so I don't burn my food up. Also, using the timer and using other functions on the phone simultaneously is a pain.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use the timer on the stove all the time.  Often to quick cool Coke Zeros in preparation of Evan Williams.  I wish it would start counting back negative time after the setpoint was reached.  So heed ye timer programmer/developers, flashing zero - no intformation.  time (negative) from zero - good useful information. 

I find 12oz cans with "Turbo" freeze on will cool to near freezing in 50 minutes. There's a 3 or 4 hour leeway until the cans explode and create an unholy mess.  Don't ask why I know this.
    You can set the count down timer on the Timestick as high as 99:99:99. One of the uses I have used mine for is when I am culturing my own starter. Really nice to have a dedicated timer I keep right beside the starter. Each time I feed the starter, I set the timer to however long until the next feeding.

Many uses for the Timestick around the kitchen IMHO. If your only use case is timing one thing at a time, sure the phone you already have in your pocket may do the job nicely.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567

I use the timer on the stove all the time.  Often to quick cool Coke Zeros in preparation of Evan Williams.  I wish it would start counting back negative time after the setpoint was reached.  So heed ye timer programmer/developers, flashing zero - no intformation.  time (negative) from zero - good useful information. 

I find 12oz cans with "Turbo" freeze on will cool to near freezing in 50 minutes. There's a 3 or 4 hour leeway until the cans explode and create an unholy mess.  Don't ask why I know this.

Funny. I'll forget my quick cool stuff every time if I don't set the timer on my stove.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

FYI, the Timestick does "count negative" after the setpoint is reached and the alarm sounds. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I want to order a time stick but by the time you add shipping it would cost me $30 or more. Guess I'll keep using my phone.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    I have had mine for 6 months and love it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX