Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - No More Messing Around

Options
Following Aaron Franklin's instructions. Got a good trim, 50:50 salt and pepper. Here are a few photos to start. ETA 2 to 4 pm tomorrow. Thanks to everybody for answering the pre-cook questions, especially Cen-Tex, Foghorn and Lousubcap.
LBGE

Comments

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Looks like a good start! Looking forward to the finished product.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Keep us posted
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    About to put mine in. Ambient temps are worrying me. I am going to see a 30-40 degree drop overnight. Thank god for our first real cool front. Good luck with yours!!
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Three hours in. Having a problem with my dome temperature. Won't seem to get above 200. I opened the damper and the daisy wheel full open at about one hour in. Outside of the Egg was toasty warm. I could see glowing coals through the damper. I figure the thermometer has a problem - if the outside is hot, the inside must be hot. So I am going to do this cook flying blind. I know from lots of experience where to set the damper and the daisy wheel to get 230 or so. Hope it works. The three hour photo looks good, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Anybody have any ideas what the problem is? This is my first brisket, but that per se should not make any difference to the temperature. I did fill the firebox up extra full, so that could change things. But like I said, if the Egg is hot on the outside, the inside must be hot too. I did check to make sure the thermometer is not touching the brisket, but it is not - I could look through the chimney with a flashlight, so I know that is not the problem.

I am out of ideas. Hope this works.
    LBGE
  • fusionhq
    Options
    I have a brisket on as well. Full firebox, lotsa wood, and lit in four places. Holding 250 pretty steady for 2-3 hours now. From what you've told us, it sounds like your thermo is wrong. Do you have another method of checking temp?? Maverick or something else??

I'd not, keep an eye on the "hand feel" of your egg and meat.
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    Here it is at 10 hours.

@fusionhq, thanks for the advice. No other means of temp measurement. But I am going based on hand feel - still nice and soft so far - plus previous knowledge of where to set my damper and daisy wheel. I still have high hopes. But I will buying a new thermometer (or two...)

(In a post, how do you get the "@+person's name" so it is a live link? I couldn't see a awy to do that)

LBGE
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @DocWonmug‌ have you calibrated your dome thermometer? Looking Good So Far!!
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @DocWonmug-now that is diving into the deep end-going by feel right out of the gate.  If you rethink that approach to the finish-line you can use a cheap grocery store analog thermo that you can insert into the hunk and watch the temp.  And by all means check your dome thermo calibration when you get a chance.  It is adjustable so you likely won't need to buy another.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    I am extremely embarrassed to report that due to low light conditions (and a few PBR's) I was mis-reading the thermometer. I find I cooked it about 300 overnight. It appears to be OK, passed the toothpick test with flying colors, like buttah, and it was nice and soft to the touch. I remain hopeful. Not eating until about 1 pm, so it is FTC right now.

Here is the last few pictures from the grill, I'll put up up one or two when it gets sliced.
    LBGE
  • fusionhq
    Options
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks good so far.  BTW, low light and PBR had nothing to do with it.  The thermometer was messed up.  Somehow...it decided to work correctly again.  Must have rebooted itself.  LOL
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @DocWonmug-a trick I use to help mitigate the adult beverages is to rotate my dome thermo so the target temp is vertical.  That way a casual glance and I know what's happening.  If you adopt this non-fool-proof technique be sure to pull out on the thermo ( if you have the backing clip installed) before rotating so the calibration nut is not affected.  FWIW-
    BTW-lookin good!  Great recovery.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    Final photos, a little out of focus, sorry. I was quite pleased for a first effort, especially in light of my error on temperature. Not the best I have ever had, but better than most, as agreed by my guests who kept stuffing their face until succumbing to a food coma. The mashed potatoes were also excellent, as was the sauce. Thanks to Aaron Franklin and his videos, including his sauce.
    LBGE