Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too much smoke?

Options
Dean
Dean Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally got my BGE yesterday (thanks to all previously on advice re: getting the Large size). Cooked steak at 700 yesterday, and flank today. Both were very good. I used off the shelf lump charcoal from my local grocery store (Wegmans), and it worked as advertised - quick starting, great heat, low ash, small amount consumed. I was surpised, however, at just how smokey a taste I did get, without even adding chips. Is there any way to tone this down for certain dishes?

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Dean,[p]I am not familiar with the brand you used. The wood used to make the lump can greatly affect the flavor imparted. Another factor in smoke flavor is that you allow your Egg to achieve temperature regulation. If the Egg is producing acrid smoke (white or grey) while maintaining temp, wait. Once the air leaving the top vent is clear, the charcoal is ready to cook over.[p]Oak lump tends to provide the mellowest charcoal flavor. I use Royal Oak Old Fashioned lump. [p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dean,
    Grilling temps provide less smokey taste but as with charcoal - you always have more than the gas monster provided. If you are use to a gas grill - it will be different (its called taste). I don't add much, if any, wood to most of my cooks. With pork I always add some but not with foul or pizza or steaks. At temps over 350-375 the Egg stops producing much smoke and gets into efficient burning mode. Do more grilling and less lo & slo cooking.[p]
    Tim

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Spin,
    Excellent recommendations! I've switched to the RO also and it sure has helped me tone down the hard smoke flavor![p]Dr. Chicken

• I didn't know you could have too much smoke, too much money, be too young, or be too beautiful.:-) I keep adding more wood to mine and can't get enough smoke. Yes! To anwser your question, cover lightly your BBQ meat with aluminum wrap in the first part of your cooking. This works for me on all my grills, electric, gas and charcoal.[p]N.W.