Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket. Back to the basics.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    We should finish the umbilicals in about 3 weeks. After that I will take off for the rest of the year. In January I'm leaving the subsea division and will work back and forth between Corpus Christie, TX. and Theodore, AL. My offshore career is about to end. Thank God!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I can probably bump a little slack after the first of the year and tske a long weekend and drive down.

Little Rock, AR

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    @SGH maybe you should do a camp... We could literally camp out with all that space you have. You make me feel cramped here in Seattle
    Seattle, WA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    View from the soccer game this AM (that's not him)Wide open spaces we do not have
    Seattle, WA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    @SGH maybe you should do a camp... We could literally camp out with all that space you have. You make me feel cramped here in Seattle
    Yeah, plus 1 on the camp. I have 6 man tent and the small Egg travels well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV‌
    Brother I'm in the process now of building a fair size building on my property. The goal is to start manufacturing smokers full time by mid next year. Once completed and in operation I'm really considering a open invitation to all forum members ( except Cazzy ;) ) to come tour the facility and spend the weekend cooking and socializing. We will see my friend. If there is interest I will certainly do it brother Skinny.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That brisket looks fantastic- really well done.
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Wolfpack‌
    Thank you brother Wolf.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    As of this writing tonight. Umbilical #12 is scheduled for final hook up on November 14. If that's the case and all goes well with final pneumatic and catholic testing, I will be home for the remainder of the year. My offshore career will come to a end when Umbillical #12 is is tied into the Petronis platform and adjoining riser connecting the subsea mainline on the sea bed below. I will become a land lover henceforth my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Philicious‌
    As you requested my friend. Unit 1.
    She stands 6 foot 4 inches tall.
    She weighs in at a impressive and confirmed 1,028 pounds.
    Girth. 32x30.
    Shelving. 5 spaced 6 inches apart.
    Fuel. Charcoal, lump or wood. And any combination of the 3.
    If I had to recommend only 1 cooker. The reverse flow vertical cabinet would get my vote due to several factors.
    Fuel use is minimal.
    Food quality rivals and approaches that of a stick burner.
    Ease of use. Set it and forget it.
    Capacity is massive.
    It's just a well thought out and user friendly design my friend.
    The main thing to remember is, be sure to chose a reverse flow. Their advantages are more than obvious vs a direct fired or side fed unit.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @SGH what is a reverse flow?  Is the vertical on Unit#6 the same as Unit #1.  FYI, I am seriously looking at Unit #6 late Spring if an imitaion is still available.  @yzzi even promised to roadtrip it w/ me for pickup.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    The vertical on Unit 6 is not reverse flow. However the vertical I call Unit 1 is reverse flow. On the Unit 6 vertical you have 3 options of how to Fire it depending on what dampers you open and close. One position is direct fired bottom fed. Next position is indirect side fed "drafting from the horizontal" chamber. The next position includes the 2 methods above combined by opening both dampers at the same time thus creating bottom direct fired and indirect side fired at the same time. What is the purpose of this. So you can run the vertical up to 800 degrees if you chose to. For baking and high temp roasting. If you are considering a vertical only, then go with a reverse flow. Why? It is in every way better and far more even across the board temp wise. Direct fired verticals are steadily going the way of the buffalo my friend. Reverse flow represents 75 percent of the market now due to there superior dynamics.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Reverse flow means that the heat and smoke come in at the top. Then must fill the cooking chamber from top to bottom before exiting the exhaust ports located at the lower part of the unit. Hence reverse flow. They are forced to flow backwards. Heat rises. But in a reverse flow it is forced down before allowed to exit.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Maybe this will help. Here are pics of the inlet located at the top, rear wall of Unit 1.This is where the heat and smoke comes in. The next pics are the outlet to the chimney located at the bottom of the unit on the 2 side walls.
    I hope this helps my friend. If you are still unclear I will try again. For clarity the pics where I'm using a over handed grip is the inlet from the firebox below. The pics where I'm using a underhanded grip is the outlet to the chimney above.
    imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Here are some shots of the dampers inside of Unit 6 vertical. As you can see its side fired, bottom fired or both depending on which dampers that you chose to open and close. It then exhausts straight out the chimney above. Hence no reverse flow my friend.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• Philicious
    Options
    @SGH‌ - thanks for the picture and info. Wish I lived closer.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @Philicious‌
    No problem my friend. Always glad to help when I can.

Status- Standing by.

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Nice Brisket!
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @otter‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother otter.

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Thanks for all that great info @SGH. Great stuff and things I hadn't noticed or thought of
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Glad to help brother Trim.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice!!! That's a stellar looking brisket with excellent slicing and as I can clearly see moist. ^:)^
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌
    Thank you brother husker. You know that I'm famous for serving dry meat though my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

• corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    I miss seeing these posts>   Scotty needs to start cooking again.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That was a killer smoke ring! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    @SGH I saw that Mr Brisket has some huge imperial wagyu briskets for sale. 27lber. $7.49/lb. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @SGH, looks awesome, as always.  You just put a brisket smoking clinic on for egg nation.  Smoke ring perfection too Brothaman!

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Just caught up with this thread @SGH, great cook and love your smokers.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Thanks for the bump on this @Eoin

Before this i mostly though of @SGH as the guy with the anus issue (still haven't figure out if that is a running joke or if he is serious). 

after reading this whole thread I am impressed and awed. I have a new appreciation for @SGH. My apologies for the previous impressions.

Since this thread is from 2014, are you now building smokers full time?

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thanks for the bump on this @Eoin

Before this i mostly though of @SGH as the guy with the anus issue (still haven't figure out if that is a running joke or if he is serious). 

after reading this whole thread I am impressed and awed. I have a new appreciation for @SGH. My apologies for the previous impressions.

Since this thread is from 2014, are you now building smokers full time?

Oh don't doubt him. He is.................

Little Rock, AR