Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holiday Ham Test on the BGE

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
With the holidays fast approaching I thought I would cook a ham to kind of get back into the swing of things. Today Unit 1 and Unit 6 will sit idle and off line as the Egg works it's magic. Pics and recipe to come as it all comes together my friends.
The egg coming up to temperature and online.
imageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looking forward to this... Had less than stellar results with hams so far
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Wow @SGH You are cooking on your egg? Haha
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Zarcon said:

Wow @SGH You are cooking on your egg? Haha

Must be home alone tonight and will eat the ham like a big drumstick, lol.
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    Options
    My homemade version of a spiral cut ham. The spiraling was cut with a 9" flexible boning knife. I despise flexible blades in general, but this is the one time that they excel. Other than this they are useless in my opinion. I much prefer the semi flexible blades for cold slab work. Not perfect but here it is.
    I know I made a faulty cut on the cap. Thought I would point it out before someone else did. Bare with me my brothers, my hands are partially paralyze.
    imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yzzi
    Options
    Spiral cut by hand? Wow, I thought that was only done by machines. @SGH‌ is a machine!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    SghScissorhands!!! Watching this one because I love me some ham. The last few I have done have been nekked with sugar maple for smoke.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yzzi
    Options
    This is too good to be true. Anyone can take a picture next to a honeybaked ham!
    Dunedin, FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Second coming to bbq he is.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    My little princess.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have had my Egg since 06 and have never done a ham, I am looking forward to this. @SGH she is a cutie. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    Rolling right along.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    great cook you have there what do the grand kids get to eat?
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SGH
    Options
    Done deal.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Very impressed with the hand cut spiral, that thing looks delicious man!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Wow, you are a marvel my friend... Great spiral cut you did yourself and awesome cook on the Egg. I see your beautiful daughter likes your handiwork from the hole you dug...
  • SGH
    Options
    French Fries and steak as well. Just because I'm frigging starving.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Love it! Nice work!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I do a couple spiral hams a year and think they turn out spectacularly as I ams sure yours will.

Out of curiosity, what is your annual lump and meat budget?  It has o exceed the GDP of some third world countries.
    :D
  • SGH
    Options
    Steak and potatoes.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job @SGH as usual, I am getting hungry again.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    @JRWhitee‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Whitee.
    @Spaightlabs‌
    Thank you for the kind words as well my friend. As to the expenses, I'm not real sure as I honestly don't track it. Almost all of my oak wood is free cut from my own lands. I have to buy a little pecan but I get the bulk of it from my lands as well. Lump, well like most people on here I go through a 20 pound bag every 2 or 3 days depending on what I'm cooking. If feeding Unit 1 lump then I can easily go through 50 pounds a day. That is why I bring Unit 1 online with lump and then convert it over to wood. Wood stands up much better than lump in the big Units. As far as meat. Well I'm a man of modest appetite. But that said we spend a good amount on meat but I can't say with accuracy exactly how much. Hope I answered some of your questions my friend.
    @anton‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    @thetrim‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    @anzyegg‌
    As always my friend, I thank you for the kind and thoughtful words brother anzy. You always take the time to compliment my food and I really appreciate it brother.

Status- Standing by.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    It is always impressive to see the products of your labor sir.

Keep on keeping' on!
  • SGH
    Options
    @yzzi‌
    For the record, let me say if I may. The spiral cut hams done by a mechanized spiral slicer or rotating mechanical knife are far superior in uniformity and visual aesthetics as opposed to hand cut ones. It's not even close my friend. I'm probably better than average with a knife in hand, but I cannot approach what the mechanized knives can produce. I do it more for convienance for serving and getting honey well up into the ham before cooking. I can make one presentable but not spectacular as the mechanized units can do. They stand alone and unchallenged in this arena. If I were going to make green hams from start to finish to be served at an event, for visual aesthetics, I would gladly pay the 5 dollar spiraling fee. Just thought that I would clarify. Nonetheless I thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Ham looks incredible!!! Is there any benefit to spiral slicing the ham or did you just have one that wasn't cut already?
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SGH
    Options
    @jcaspary‌
    We can purchase straight shank hams in bulk very cheap. So for home use I buy these cheap bulk hams and do my version of a spiral slice myself with a flexible 9" boning knife. They are not as uniform nor visually appealing as the ones done on mechanized cutters and knives. Nonetheless they taste outstanding my friend. After I spiral them I rub honey and a few other odds and ends into them. Works pretty good in my estimate.

Status- Standing by.

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    What odds and ends??? ;)
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Options
    @SGH Outstanding bro! I will be trying a ham soon. I just hope it turns out half as good.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SGH said:

@jcaspary‌
    We can purchase straight shank hams in bulk very cheap. So for home use I buy these cheap bulk hams and do my version of a spiral slice myself with a flexible 9" boning knife. They are not as uniform nor visually appealing as the ones done on mechanized cutters and knives. Nonetheless they taste outstanding my friend. After I spiral them I rub honey and a few other odds and ends into them. Works pretty good in my estimate.

Looks tasty. So you did not brine the ham yourself? So how long did you cook it for? I want to get a fresh ham, brine it and smoke it with apple and pecan woods. Of course, rubed with brown sugar.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.