Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Ribs

Options
Hello, All. 

I recently did my second set of pork ribs on the egg. I used the 3-2-1 method but, probably more like 3-2-1/2. 

The first set of ribs I smoked fell off the bone beautifully and had a great consistency. This set never really pulled back from the bone and did not fall off. They also were quite chewy. 

My first rib cook was the first time I had ever cooked on the egg and I had a little trouble keeping it at around 225. For a while they were up in the 270 range. 

This time, I had greater success at keeping it in the 225-250 range. When I pulled the ribs off the internal temp at the thick end was 160 which is supposed to be well done for pork. But, again, they didnt pull away from the bones. 

Only major difference outside of temp was that these ribs came out of the freezer...but, they were of course thawed before going on the egg. 

Any thoughts on what I did wrong? 

Thank you in advance. 

Josh

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Josh the 2nd set were not done yet. You did nothing wrong except pulled them too soon. Remember the dome thermometer is about 25 to 40 degrees hotter then the grid temp. So you were only cooking your ribs at about 190 to 200 the second time around.

Cook them at 275 dome temp next time and good luck.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I find that my ribs are not tender unless the meat between the bones reads 195 to 200. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @rrp damn good catch I did not not I ce that I agree 160 way to low for ribs.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Although an IT of 160 is well done for pork it is a long ways away from being done on cuts like ribs and shoulders. The lack of pull back from the bones is a visual cue that your ribs were not cooked enough.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • comtnbiker
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate the guidance. I should have mentioned that I have a digital thermometer so I had the temp at the grates at 225-250.

Good to know that the temp needs to be 200 between the bones. Thanks everyone.

How far in to a 3-2-1 cook should one start to see pull-back? Thanks!
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options

Ribs rae the only meat I don't take the temp on.  Use the bend test.  after a few racks, you will know just buy touching and looking at them.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

"How far in to a 3-2-1 cook should one start to see pull-back? Thanks!"

You may see some of it at the end of the "3".  You may not.  If you do, you will be reasonably far along in the cook and may want to shorten the foil time.  It will depend on your cooking temp.  At 220, 3-2-1 will probably work pretty well.  At 275 they will probably be overdone and mushy - but fall right off the bone.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I'm a novice rib cooker so take my comments with caution :) my best so far have been cooked "until done," roughly 4 hrs at 250. When they pull back, when they pass the bend test, they're done. Internal temps confuse my simple mind when it come to ribs.

I love ribs on the egg... So much that my wife asked me to stop cooking them for awhile! Bummer.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Remember, the connective tissue and cologen are just starting to break down @ 150-160. This is what makes BBQ well, BBQ. As said above , cook to,a much higher temp. This holds true with butts and briskets as well. Chicken is ironically cooked to lower temps.
  • comtnbiker
    Options
    Remember, the connective tissue and cologen are just starting to break down @ 150-160. This is what makes BBQ well, BBQ. As said above , cook to,a much higher temp. This holds true with butts and briskets as well. Chicken is ironically cooked to lower temps.
    Thanks for the input @pgprescott
  • comtnbiker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I'm a novice rib cooker so take my comments with caution :) my best so far have been cooked "until done," roughly 4 hrs at 250. When they pull back, when they pass the bend test, they're done. Internal temps confuse my simple mind when it come to ribs. I love ribs on the egg... So much that my wife asked me to stop cooking them for awhile! Bummer.
    Thanks, I'll do some research on the bend test. 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Hey No pictures so you real never cooked them .lol
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now