Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm done with 00

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
Dumped a bag into the egg and found this. Toothpick is for reference.

Baby Collins doesn't approve.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Thats the free firestarter to light the coals :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Baby Collins crawled into the lump bag again? Sheesh. Kids.
    Options
    Brother Apple feel free to ship me all of your remaining OO. Unit 6 will burn anything at will ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That was in your olive oil?
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ozark Oak Lump ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I had about 20 of those in a bag of OO once. By the title of your post I thought you were through with buckshot. ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I thought you were talking about flour.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So what was Baby Collins in?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    Options
    SGH said:

Ozark Oak Lump ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah I was going after the manicotti wrapping comment by nola
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Mickey said:

So what was Baby Collins in?

Tom?
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I thought it was OO flour!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Its finally has come to light that you are using RO but repackaging in OO bags just to be hip!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    you people crack me up.  have you ever seen the inside of a charcoal production plant?  For the price of a bag of OO, it cant be beat...imo of course.  flame away.  if you don't want bits in your bag, pay double the price...and still get bits in your bag from time to time.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I should also add, of the 50+ bags of OO ive burned, ive found one, maybe two rocks in it.  Maybe ive just been lucky.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Funny I found one yesterday the size of a baseball. Seriously. Still love it though.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    busmania said:

you people crack me up.  have you ever seen the inside of a charcoal production plant?  For the price of a bag of OO, it cant be beat...imo of course.  flame away.  if you don't want bits in your bag, pay double the price...and still get bits in your bag from time to time.

Dude it's ok, really!! Everybody knows that @henapple is just stirring sh$t. You couldn't pry a chunk of OO out of his dead hands!!

analyze adapt overcome

• yzzi
    Options
    That bag could be filled with buffalo chips and he'd still be trucking them around.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mattman3969
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @henapple - I found this in a bag of RW on Thursday. I threw away 200lbs of RW and went to Lowes and bought 300lbs of Cowboy. Call me if you want to split a pallet =))

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Fergot the pic

analyze adapt overcome

• henapple
    Options
  • Grillnugget
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ I opened my first bag of RW yesterday and found the rest of your metal strap...it's the first man made pice of scrap I've found in a bag of lump and ironically in the most expensive "high end" bag too. I got my lg BGE last Dec. as an Xmas gift from my wife and have only used BGE lump and a cpl bags of RO and had only found a few walnut sized rocks till yesterday. I'd like to know what's the strangest object others have found?
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @grillnugget - I was just kinda playin along with @henapple about the trash found in lump. I have used at least 50 bags of RW and that is the only thing I have found. Way better odds than I've had with other brands. This stuff is gonna happen, it's just how often that helps me decide on brand of lump. I will continue to use Rockwood and Ozark Oak

analyze adapt overcome

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ I opened my first bag of RW yesterday and found the rest of your metal strap...it's the first man made pice of scrap I've found in a bag of lump and ironically in the most expensive "high end" bag too. I got my lg BGE last Dec. as an Xmas gift from my wife and have only used BGE lump and a cpl bags of RO and had only found a few walnut sized rocks till yesterday. I'd like to know what's the strangest object others have found?

The metal banding is how the wood slabs are bound together when they come from the milling ops.  The bundles age for 4-6 months, then are loaded into the kilns with the band still holding them together.  At some point in the kiln the heat will cause these straps to break.  When unloading the kiln, they usually pull right out in long strands.  Sometimes they may have broken into small pieces--that's what you have there.  That are the rocks are about the only unavoidable things you'll find from a manufacturing standpoint.

You'll find barbed wire, chicken wire, bullets, arrowheads, nails, small rocks, etc in the ash sometimes.  Anything that was attached to a tree in its lifetime will get growth around it and form a big knot.  Those are the pieces that the mills reject for lumber and sell for charcoal, mulch, etc.  You won't discover those prizes until the charcoal has burned up since they are contained in the knot.

• Mattman3969
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - I hope you understand I was not slamming your product only play with Apple. You got my biz for sure

analyze adapt overcome

• henapple
    Options
    I found this in a bag of Rockwood. ..

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Damn I hope you put that on a clean burn
    Greensboro, NC
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    What was it?  The binky, the bacon or the baby with the freakish head?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Awhile back someone here posted a pic of a big piece of fiberglass he/she found in their lump.  That would be the only thing that would bother me, no telling what kind of fumes a polyester resin would give off as it burned.

Sorta on-topic, the only lump I can get around here are BGE's and, recently, Frontier.  The Frontier was only $9 for 20 lbs, today I tried it for the first time and was pleased with the large chunks.  It lit fine, I may have to switch to this.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I opened up a bag of cowboy and it was contaminated with OO.