Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Show Us Your Cast Iron

1235»

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    I have the Smart 'Diamond G' Brockville ON 9" frying pan (pictured below).  BGE Dutch Oven, and Cuisine Art Enamelled Dutch Oven.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • While I own and use several sizes of Dutch Ovens, this half moon griddle gets the most work.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Mom gave these to me last summer. . She probably has a dozen more.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    GQuiz said:

Mom gave these to me last summer. . She probably has a dozen more.

Last summer and they still look like that? I'll be happy to give them a nice home, dinner, and a warm bed!
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited October 2014
    I don't think I ever posted mine. Here's most of them though I have a few other pieces I didn't show. image ignore the dirty ones. Most of these were laying out waiting to be cleaned and put away.
    Dunedin, FL
  • AHawk
    AHawk Posts: 8
    I have several Cast Iron pieces I use on my large egg.  Dobie and SGH both mentioned this piece from Lodge. It's a 17" Skillet with handles as they said won't allow you to close your egg.  I took mine to the bench grinder and ground off about 1/4" on each side of the handles and it works perfectly.  I'm actually surprised that BGE hasnt contracted with someone like Lodge to actually make some Cast Iron that fit the eggs perfectly.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited April 2015
    FYI:  cooks illustrated ranked the "cast iron cleaner" as one of their top 5 kitchen gadgets.  I have been using wads of A.F. but might invest in this lil guy. . . I am a sucker for stainless steel anything!

Knapp Made CM Scrubber™

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087UYR1S/?tag=cioprodcoll2-20

CHAIN-MAIL SCRUBBER

Could this little gadget clean cast iron better than oil and salt?

OVERVIEW:

Since soapy water can strip the seasoning off of cast-iron cookware, our standard cleaning method is to heat a little oil in the pan, add salt, and use this coarse paste to rub away cooked-on food. The CM Scrubber by KnappMade ($19.98) promises to make scrubbing cast-iron cookware (and all other cookware surfaces except nonstick) easier. We passed this 4-inch square of stainless steel chain mail over a cast-iron pan encrusted with charred bits of sausage and another that we’d used for frying bacon. The linked steel rings effortlessly lifted away any stuck-on bits without damaging the pan’s finish. The scrubber itself took some scrubbing to become completely grit- and oil-free for the next use, but it dried quickly and didn’t rust. We’re even fonder of our cast-iron skillet now that we have a faster, tidier cleanup tool.
    • Scrubbing the charred bits out of a cast-iron skillet becomes a far less onerous task with this 4-inch square of chain mail, handmade of 16-gauge stainless steel. The linked steel rings required a bare minimum of elbow grease to lift off stuck-on bits of sausage—and the rings didn’t damage the seasoning. The tool also performed flawlessly at cleanup after we fried bacon. Although the scrubber itself needed some scrubbing to get completely grit- and oil-free for next use, it dries quickly and doesn’t rust.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I love my cast iron.....have a Lodge factory outlet not for from me. They have a fair number of pieces that are manufactured and discontinued.....got to get them when you see them. Recently picked up some 8 inch plates.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • @ndg I have one and absolutely love it. It cuts right through burnt on fats cheeses ect. The big loop on the corner fits around your finger so it doesn't slip out of your hand while cleaning. I highly recommend picking one up if you use cast iron often. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    AHawk said:
    I have several Cast Iron pieces I use on my large egg.  Dobie and SGH both mentioned this piece from Lodge. It's a 17" Skillet with handles as they said won't allow you to close your egg.  I took mine to the bench grinder and ground off about 1/4" on each side of the handles and it works perfectly.  I'm actually surprised that BGE hasnt contracted with someone like Lodge to actually make some Cast Iron that fit the eggs perfectly.
    I'm going to grind mine down as well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    edited April 2015
    My parents brought me this recently. They sold their house in Florida where it was for the last 25 years and before that it was on my grandparents farm in Illinois. My dad said its probably around 100 years old. I had to take a wire drill brush to it but I am gonna give it a couple costs of paint it mount it out by where I egg.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    @Lit,
    Really cool piece of history.  I stripped and painted my DFMTs, holding up jsut fine.

Been awhile since I've been iron huntin'.  May need to make the rounds.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Awesome history in that piece. #familia
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    edited April 2015
    These were my grandmother's. I believe they were wedding gifts but I'm not 100% certain. Left is a Griswold 704D skillet and right is a Griswold 777B chicken fryer with a 1098B lid. I have a fair number of smaller skillets that are unmarked from her as well. My grandmother apparently had good taste in CI. 

• Reversible Griddle and Skillet. one side is smooth and the other has a grid pattern for grill marks. It was almost like this was made for the Large egg. It perfect size for the Large egg. I use it all the time to get that nice crust on my meats as it traps the juices and flavors not letting them drip down to the fire. I also use it for really flaky fish and smaller shrimp that tends to fall through the grid while cooking. You can add butter to the griddle while cooking anything and it adds a new element of flavor that is awesome. The other day I did steak and when I was done mixed the meat juices with butter, cream and white wine and cooked my shrimp in that mixture and it was out of this world! The handles are supper nice I can take it on and off with ease. Great piece of cast iron right here.

• Just in case any ones interested here's a link to the griddle above.

https://www.volcanogrills.com/products/castiron

• AHawk
    AHawk Posts: 8
    What's the diameter of it?
  • onthegreen
    onthegreen Posts: 29
    @AHawk I'm guessing you're asking me. The diameter of the round cast iron is 14" .