Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket. Back to the basics.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Here is a better view of the propane burner or fish cooker/charcoal or lump lighter my friend. It's a very useful feature to have on a off set smoker. I highly recommend it to anyone considering a off set. It makes starting your fire very, very simple for sure.
    And you also always have a heat source handy for making injections and marinades if needed. Plus I love to fry fish and shrimp when bbqing. It's a excellent option for sure my friend.
    imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Unit #6 really does have it all!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Brother trim I put a lot of thought and figuring into a cookers design. I hope that people like them enough to buy them when I start manufacturing them full time. They are set up to cover almost any outdoor cooking senario imaginable my friend. Unit 6 as it sits is one tow behing unit. But in mere seconds it can be set up to cook 5 different ways by merely pulling dampers. No tuning plates to tweek, no deflectors to adjust, just simpley pull the handle on a particular damper and you are good to go my friend in less than 2 seconds. And thus far the unit has more than exceeded my expectations and goals.

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    Options
    You are correct, sir.  I think that's what I'm most impressed by.  Unit #1 might be enough for me, but I love seeing all you've done and can do on that monster you refer to as Unit #6.  Love it and I just might be your first customer.  Now to figure out how to get it from Just this side of Biloxi to just that side of Tampa....  Mmmmm problems, problems.
    Can't wait to see your work this weekend.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    This photo just in looking east or west from that side of Biloxi looking towards this side of Biloxi.  Seems Mr @SGH is at it again

SGH.jpg 20.7K
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    @thetrim‌ Unit 6 as it sits would cost in excess of 7000 dollars if you were to go to a builder. I can get a exact copy of Unit 6 for you for just a little over 3000 if you are interested. How? I do a lot of tuning on test pits and they are then sold for cost. Unit 6 it's self is a test pit.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Sliced. Notice the smoke ring. I can not achieve this kind of ring on my egg. I have tried every trick in the book short of cheating. Hope y'all enjoy my friends.
    imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It was cooked on Unit #6 under heavy oak and pecan smoke.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    Options
    Unit #6 = AWESOMENESS
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    @SGH - love both Unit #1 and Unit #6.  Do you have a post that shows #2, #3, #4 and #5?  I'd love to get one like #1 or #6, but I would only need that kind of cooking capacity maybe (big maybe) once a year.  Do you primarily use these for competitions?

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • SGH
    Options
    @lakewade‌
    I will post picks of Units 2, 3, 4 and 5 standing upside of Units 1 & 6 for you. Unit #4 is far lager than all the others. It's truly a power house without peer. I do not compete much any longer my friend. Working for the oil/gas industry makes it very hard as I'm always on call. Also my hands and feet are partially paralyzed now. However I still cook a lot of unsanctioned events, fundraisers and charities quite often. I use Unit 1 and Unit 6 a lot for home cooking as well. They just do a awesome job so it is very hard to let them just sit on stand by. I love to cook and man a pit my friend. I always have. Thank you for the kind and thoughtful words sir.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Done deal my friends. Hope yall enjoyed my post.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @lakewade‌
    Here is Unit 6 standing by my 4 wheel drive XUV for a crude size comparison my friend.
    imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    Options
    @SGH.  Now what the hell will you do with all that meat?  Amazing smoke ring BTW and damn fine job, borther!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I always enjoy your posts @SGH, still have a spot on my Egg for you next Saturday.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    @SGH - Thanks, I'd love to see the rest of your arsenal. Great cook!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • thetrim
    Options
    @SGH, what's the width of the fish cooker on there.  Can only imagine having hundreds of lbs of meat smoking while doing a huge crawfish boil, fried turkey, etc at the same time.  Great design.

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I have two stock pots of different diameters.  I'm not sure what they are but maybe 18" and 24".  I'm just trying to get an idea of the size of that beast or at least that part of that beast.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    "the king has spoken"
    Brother SGH since your arrival, you have sure turned up the enjoyment of this place.
    Thanks for all you do.
    Seattle, WA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks pretty good.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Thank you for the kind words.
    @SkinnyV‌
    Thank you so much. That means a lot to me brother Skinny.
    @JRWhitee‌
    Thank you brother Whitee. It's looking like I will get to be there. Looking forward to meeting you brother.
    @lakewade‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother Lake.
    @thetrim‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. You can easily accomodate a 36 inch diameter pot on the propane burner with room to spare. Having the burner is a huge luxury my friend. I highly recommend it. My only regret is not adding 2 burners. Unit 7 will be so equipped for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    @SGH‌ are you sure those pictures aren't really thick slices of bacon??

@thetrim‌ I'll be happy to tow it for you. As long as I can borrow it a couple time ;-) this is a genuine offer.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm loving this post and unit 6. Is there anything comparable to it but maybe a touch smaller?

Little Rock, AR

• thetrim
    Options
    @yzzi, that would be one helluva road trip. Thank you. Maybe we can do it for the next NOLA throw down.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • yzzi
    Options
    thetrim said:

@yzzi, that would be one helluva road trip. Thank you. Maybe we can do it for the next NOLA throw down.

As long as I still have my truck! Work is moving next year probably to Tampa so it'll probably be time for me to ditch the gas hog and go with a gas sipper (that's still fun to drive)
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    Absolutely. The sky is almost the limit when it comes to size and configuration my friend. For reference, Unit 6 measures as follows.
    Horizontal chamber- 30 x 84.
    Vertical cabinet- 34 x 30 x 28.
    Firebox- 25 x 30 x 28.
    A excellent size unit is:
    24 x 72. This is more size and capacity than most folks need. If you are wanting a unit, come down when you can and look at them in person. Seeing them hands on is much better than looking at pics. And brother you know that you are welcome here any time my friend.
    @yzzi‌
    I'm absolutely sure my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• yzzi
    Options
    Here's a slice of my latest brisket. Sweet smoke ring on this sucker. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @SGH‌ when do you finish with offshore?

Little Rock, AR