Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sour Dough Biscuits/Part 5

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This will be my last post on the biscuits and will probably make some French bread next with the mother.[p]41MVC-014E.jpg[p]Oil up your cookie sheet and place the biscuits on it. I cut them out with a water glass. Then let them proof for about 30-45 minutes before the fire.[p]41MVC-015E.jpg[p]This is ready to go on the cooker. Note the space between the biscuits on the pan.[p]With all baking, you need to start with all new lump in the firebox and it needs to be on temp for at least 15 minutes before loading the baking. These biscuits were baked at 465 dome degrees as the cooker didn't want to run at 450 but this little difference doesn't hurt. [p]41MVC-016E.jpg[p]I don't use a plate setter with any cooking and do an indirect bake on my raised grid for all pan baking. I am sure most of your setups will be different and you will need to watch this bake close to be sure the bottoms don't burn but with my setup, it took about 16 minutes to get the bottoms just slightly crunchy like I wanted but your time may be different. Mine also didn't brown up very much but I see that in another recipe. [p]41MVC-017E.jpg[p]These are right out of the oven.[p]Good luck and please let me know how your biscuits come out.[p]Dave

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I'm behind the 8-ball and didn't get mine started until this afternoon. Thank you for all your effort and instructions. Those biscuits look good even without the browning. Is that an aluminum pan you have under the cookie sheet?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]Thank you sir for all of your efforts. The only question I have is would you press the dough to 3/4" next time or were these ones the ideal?[p]I will start tomorrow. Thanks again.[p]Spin
  • egret,[p]The pan is a standard deep dish pie pan and I think it is steel. I have a picture of my contraption with a good shot of the pan. I use this unit for all my cooking in the Egg except hearth baking. For the pan baking, I just place the pan on the top grid for my indirect bakes.[p]5contbge2Mvc-024e.jpg[p]Good luck with your bake.[p]Dave

• Spin,[p]Yes, do make the biscuits about 3/4" thick. Mine were a little too thin. Was first time for this recipe and that is why I wanted to run a day ahead of the group. [p]Hope you like them.[p]Dave

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I would just like to thank you for all the time, effort and information that you have provided. I will be starting part 3 tomorrow and I will let you and the forum know how they turn out.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Retired RailRoader,[p]If you fed your starter today, you will be ready for part four in the morning or sometime during the day.[p]Really nice to see people trying this type of bake.[p]Dave

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I figured I would wait the 72 hrs. as stated in Part 2. Part 3 will be started tomorrow afternoon. Once again thanks!!

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • reched
    reched Posts: 18
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Is that 1/4 stick or 1/4 pound (whole stick) of butter in the biscuits and should it be melted? Thanks, mine looks and smells good but it will have to sit more than 10 hours until I make them tomorrow evening.

• reched,[p]It is just a 1/4 of a stick of butter and not the whole stick and yes, I nuked it a few seconds to melt it for the batter. My starter also went about 16-17 hours on the last phase.[p]Dave[p]

• bbqwizard
    bbqwizard Posts: 119
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]You've done an excellent job with the narrative and the pics- Thank You! The only thing that i think you may have missed (I think) is that in the industry we have always named the mother starter. It always seems to help add character to the flavor as he/she/it ages. I have used many sours but one that really is unique uses an onion as the souring agent, or feeder- pretty cool, and it does not give the dough an onion flavor either. Again, thanks for all you efforts. I love this stuff![p]phillip

• bbqwizard,[p]Thanks for the kind words. I keep several starters in the fridge with most of them made from potatoes. The problem with most starters for this project is that most take 12-15 days to make and I didn't think I could get folks to follow along with something that takes that much time. I found this recipe on the web and is the quickest starter that I could find. I have not tried an onion in a starter but I am sure it would work. May give it a go in the future. [p]Maybe someone that is doing this starter along with the group can name it. [p]Dave

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]How about "Old Dave's sour dough and biscuit starter"?[p]Heck Dave my first guess was Emma but you don't remind me of anyone named Emma (thankfully).[p]Have a great day Dave![p]Bob
  • bbqwizard
    bbqwizard Posts: 119
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]
    i was thinking katrina. Just like the hurricane, it only gets nastier (except in a good way) as it grows.[p]phillip

• egghead2004
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Thanks for posting this, I'll be trying it soon!!