Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meatballs

Options
I have some Italian sausage and need a recipe for meatballs and sauce. I should have about 3 hours to egg. @TigerTony‌ ...feel free to jump in here. Thanks
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I had an unconventional recipe that turned out amazing and has since been my goto recipe: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157724/meatballs-lots-of-pic#latest
    Dunedin, FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I've used "grandma maronis meatballs" recipe from a bobby flay throwdown episode a few times. It turns out well and you don't have to sauté them. They only use beef but I've put in pork too.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Mama mancini's
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @henapple‌
    Good day brother Apple. Let me say that the recipe that @yzzi‌ shared above is excellent. The only thing I modified on his recipe was I gave the meat balls a 1 hour indirect smoking with pecan at 150 degrees first and substituted the healthy stuff with tasty unhealthy stuff. This isn't necessary just something that I like to do. Smokey meatballs are awesome in my book. Also you should not smoke at 150 as it's not proper. I do it because I'm old and hard headed. Looking back, I didn't thank @yzzi‌ for sharing this fine recipe. I would like to rectify this now. @yzzi thank you for sharing and posting your meatball recipe and technique my friend. I really enjoy it sir.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

@yzzi did you preheat skillet first, any oil in skillet? or just cold meat balls, cold pan and on The Egg?

Thank You

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited October 2014
    Options

I do meatballs quite often on the egg.  I make them big, (size in between a golf ball and a baseball), get about 12 balls per 2 lbs of meat.  Egg them indirect (placed directly on the grid) at 400 for about 15-20 minutes (about 160 internal temp).  Fantastic!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• yzzi
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @SGH thanks for the rectification, glad you enjoyed them, even though I'm convinced the "healthy" ingredients yield a very tender and moist meatball. But I"m with ya on substituting the unhealthy things since I do that all the time. Happy wife happy life, and in this case, in worked out well in my favor.

@lkapigian I usually heat the skillet and lightly oil the first batch that I do. There ends up being enough grease that the subsequent batches don't need any oil. I usually do my meatballs pretty small, but if you wanted larger I would probably sear them first and then let them go indirect until they come to temp. But yes, I heat the skillet then sear until they are well browned and cooked to an appropriate temp. I'm pretty sure though that I've thrown meatballs in a cold skillet and let it all come up to temp without any noticible differences. I recommend a hot pan though unless you wanted more smokey flavor then do what @SGH did.
    Dunedin, FL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I normally do meatballs indirect @350 with a little pecan to get a little smoke.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I don't have a meatball recipe but I do make a grilled meatball sandwich with meatballs I buy from the butcher counter at my local market. Grilled raised direct at about 450* until about 145*. Cut in half and put on sliced Italian bread, add sauce and cheese, back on the Egg until the cheese melts. Makes a fantastic sandwich.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    The secret to great meatballs is adding a little spagetti sauce and brown sugar to the mix. Make them how you want then add the sauce and brown sugar. Give it a try you can thank me later...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    On top, in the mix?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    Options
    How about injecting them?
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    henapple said:

On top, in the mix?

Add them like they are ingredients, into the mix. It will help with moisture and with binding.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....