Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2014 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    @minniemoh nice score!
    Edina, MN

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    That Badia Mojo marinade is the Sh!@!!!!! I buy that stuff like it is going out of style. It makes great pork!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    I was completely astonished by my care package today. There wasn't a note but sincere thanks to My Tennessee Elf for really hooking me up. It was like Christmas in October when the doorbell rang on three different occasions for a total of three boxes. I kept thinking this can't get any better. The rubs /sauces are all new to me and the wonderful cigars and PRB Lump Coal was just over the top.

imageimageimageimage
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I though that said PBR lump coal.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    What's in the bag? I'm guessing it's lump, I just don't know what kind.
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thank you so much @badinfluence for the sweet score!

I got this a couple days ago, just didn't have a chance to snap a picture until now.

That briner is F*CKIN' SWEET!

imageimageimageimage
    Options
    @corb69 glad you like it sir. The note might be in an envelope on the outside of one of the boxes, if not I will send it to you via email. PRB stands for Porter Road Burcher, a hippie butcher shop in East Nashville that still breaks whole animals (everytime I walk in there is half a cow on the table being sawed up) and makes their own charcoal. I had a blast putting it together, enjoy.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    TTC said:
    @corb69 glad you like it sir. The note might be in an envelope on the outside of one of the boxes, if not I will send it to you via email. PRB stands for Porter Road Burcher, a hippie butcher shop in East Nashville that still breaks whole animals (everytime I walk in there is half a cow on the table being sawed up) and makes their own charcoal. I had a blast putting it together, enjoy.
    @TTC Great damn job man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @corb69‌ ...that Liga Pravda is the real deal. I'm mad jelly yo
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Thanks @cazzy -- this is a group of serious cooks. I wanted to make sure I was up to the challenge. And @henapple, the Liga Privada is as good as it gets (especially if you want a strong flavored smoke)

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options

@thatgrimguy Wow! You have outdone yourself!

After traveling all week fighting delayed flights and rush hour traffic, I came home to the bounty from the bayou!

I love a little heat and blackened food and haven't tried the the spices and sauces.  My wife loves the coffee from Cafe Du Monde (when we are in the Big Easy) and she is taking the can to her sister's in Charlotte tomorrow to enjoy when she visits.  I can't wait to dive into everything.  I am hosting a dinner in November and will try out the bacon sauce, smoked salt and blackened seasoning.

You have good intel as we are out of Honey and my gasket is burned to crap!

Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and brightening my day!

Milton, GA.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @TTC‌... good with a dark beer or scotch. Not a weenies smoke fo sho.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Calling Springfield, VA! Thanks for the haul. Hope I didn't impede your creativity with my wish list, but man, this box is perfect. Stupidly, I've never tried DP, so I'm excited to try all of these, well, everything you sent. huge thanks!imageimage
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ try the simple marvelous pecan and the BP happy endings both on chicken at the same time yumm.

The smoking guns hot is on most everything I cook. Love that stuff.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ cool man, I'll try those first.
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @flynnbob surprised that yours is the first pic with some Luzianne. I put that on my wish list. BBQ and iced tea are perfect together in my mind. When I think of southern BBQ I picture someone sitting on a white verandah sipping tea and cooking.
  • flynnbob
    Options
    Hotch said:

@Flynnbob What a haul I received today.  My package included fun stuff from the hamburger press, great sauces, spices from GA (which I can't wait to try), Hot Sauce and even something for my cooking buddy Sherlock. We have never had the opportunity to try any Georgia or Carolina fare so this will all be a special treat for us.  The Garlic Butter I am sure my wife will use on everything.  Can't wait to try the Pork Candy and you are most welcome to come and eat ribs at my house anytime.  Thanks again!

Sherlock says thanks,

And the Bootie!!

@Hotch Flynn wants to visit Sherlock and swim in his Hot tub.  My favorites are the Garlic Butter and the Pixie Dust.  Hope to meet up sometime - I will be at Eggtoberfest in a few weeks.  Cheers!
    Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    @flynnbob surprised that yours is the first pic with some Luzianne. I put that on my wish list. BBQ and iced tea are perfect together in my mind. When I think of southern BBQ I picture someone sitting on a white verandah sipping tea and cooking.
    @hondabbq My elf, @thatgrimguy did a great job and gave a lot of thought to his package.  You will have to come down South and enjoy some sweet tea and grits if you dare.
    Milton, GA.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Red Diamond tea is way better than Luzianne. Been drinking Red Diamond all my life. The second best is Milo's.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    hondabbq said:

Red Diamond tea is way better than Luzianne. Been drinking Red Diamond all my life. The second best is Milo's.

Never heard of luzianne till a few months ago let alone the others you mentioned.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    Hotch said:

@Flynnbob What a haul I received today.  My package included fun stuff from the hamburger press, great sauces, spices from GA (which I can't wait to try), Hot Sauce and even something for my cooking buddy Sherlock. We have never had the opportunity to try any Georgia or Carolina fare so this will all be a special treat for us.  The Garlic Butter I am sure my wife will use on everything.  Can't wait to try the Pork Candy and you are most welcome to come and eat ribs at my house anytime.  Thanks again!

Sherlock says thanks,

And the Bootie!!

@Hotch Flynn wants to visit Sherlock and swim in his Hot tub.  My favorites are the Garlic Butter and the Pixie Dust.  Hope to meet up sometime - I will be at Eggtoberfest in a few weeks.  Cheers!

You guys are welcome anytime.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Today was the day I finally picked up my elf package.  @fljoemon, what an awesome and generous package of goodies.  Don't know what to try first.  This is better than Christmas.  I've never even heard of any of these products and never used coffee rub or made anything tandoori so I'll happily be going out of my usual recipies.  Can't thank you enough Joe for the very generous gifts.  And thanks to Cazzy for setting this up.  Now to get cooking.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    @SWVABeanCounter .. Glad the package made it in 1 piece without any issues. If you need any recipes, please let me know. The Genius of @cazzy comes through ... how did me manage the draw with so many people getting rubs/sauces that they have never heard of or seen. Amazing .. and a big Thank You to @cazzy
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    @legume I'm glad everything made it in one piece!  I totally left the note at home when I went to the post office, so here's the gist:

Two of those hot sauces (Mad Hatter and F&B) are made in Central Virginia; the White Zombie is made in Maryland.  None of them will blow your doors off if you're a spice aficionado, but they'll add kick and flavor.

You said you dug vinegar, and that sherry vinegar is made by Jose Andres, who is basically King Chef of Washington, DC.  It's darn good.

Next, the Dizzy Pig, I agonized over what to send you, but here are my favorite uses for each of those four (they are versatile enough to use in many, many ways, though):

Dizzy Dust:  Stuffed, bacon-wrapped chicken thighs.
    Raging River:  Salmon.
    Red-eye:  Pork butt!  It makes a great and delicious crust.
    Raising the Steaks:  Amazing on a reverse-seared ribeye or strip.

If you want to try more of their stuff, just let me know and I'll send it to you.  It's made twenty minutes from my house, and is readily available in a bunch of stores near me.

As for the Old Bay, that's kind of a necessity here in Chesapeake Bay territory.  It's amazing on any seafood.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    This exchange was a HUGE success! Great job everybody. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I
    shtgunal3 said:
    This exchange was a HUGE success! Great job everybody. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

It isn't over yet. I haven't received mine nor has my elf received theirs.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    @SWVABeanCounter .. Glad the package made it in 1 piece without any issues. If you need any recipes, please let me know. The Genius of @cazzy comes through ... how did me manage the draw with so many people getting rubs/sauces that they have never heard of or seen. Amazing .. and a big Thank You to @cazzy
    No problem man, it's been fun watching!  The trick with the variety is avoiding interstate exchanging.  However, this all boiled down to you guys.  Yall really stepped up and went above and beyond.  I haven't seen anything posted that I wouldn't be happy to receive, so great job everyone!  

For the ones that missed it, I'll do the next one around July 4th.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @cazzy A big thanks for all that you did on making this happen. Damn fine job sir!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    cazzy said:

fljoemon said:

No problem man, it's been fun watching!  The trick with the variety is avoiding interstate exchanging.  However, this all boiled down to you guys.  Yall really stepped up and went above and beyond.  I haven't seen anything posted that I wouldn't be happy to receive, so great job everyone!  

For the ones that missed it, I'll do the next one around July 4th.
    You should do it toward the end of June to also be on time for Canada day (July 1st).

Options
    TTC said:
    @TTC I found the note in an envelope on the side of the box behind the shipping label.   Again, Thank You..  I plan on enjoying a cigar and putting some of this to use tomorrow.....  Very excited!