Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket. Back to the basics.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @Hotch‌
    Thank you for the kind words my brother.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Dam you mother nature! Well it looks good anyway. I have seen several smokers that you can hang meat like this. WIth brisket and ribs hanging does it every get tender enough to just fall off, especially with the weight of that brisket?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    Do you find finishing at 400+ degrees gives a better brisket than foiling and finishing at about 300-325 degrees?  Prior to reading this, that is what I probably would have done.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Brother @SGH, any reason you didn't finished it on the Egg at 250 in the rain.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Looks fantastic!  Mad props!  

Love the images and the progression-

Extra high value bonus points for not using the term "PIC HEAVY" in your title.

Excited to see some slices-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options

I am so bummed about the brisket price in Ca...........I want to do one this weekend having a hard time swallowing nearly $100.00 for a packer...............3 weeks ago same size about $65.00

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @lkapigiam Get hooked up at a restaurant depot.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    @sgh - what are you spritzing with? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @GATABITES‌ Listed earlier as.."well water"

NW IA

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    looks great
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Really great pics my friend with a fantastic looking brisket.... What else could we expect from the man!!! I'm expecting the 18 pounds was enough to satisfy your appetite until dinner??? Just kidding my friend... Awesome cook...
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.
    @Hibby‌
    @GATABITES‌
    Sir on beef I use straight well water for spritzing. Nothing else.
    @allsid‌
    @JRWhitee‌
    I didn't finish on the egg because it's still not assembled. Took it apart for the ride home from brisket camp.
    @Foghorn‌
    I do not foil at all during the cook. I will foil once the cooking is done to let it slowly drop to 140 degrees internal before slicing.
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌
    Brother this is my thought. If you cook them to the point that they fall from the hooks you have overlooked them my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    You always seem to amaze me with the great detail and some pictures. Keep doing it!! Looks awesome!!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That's what I figured but just thought I would ask. How was it?

NW IA

• gator_egger
    Options
    Can we see some sliced pics?  
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    The boss has spoken great post
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    Options
    @gator_egger‌
    Yes sir you can. But it will be tomorrow my friend. I don't get off of work until midnight.
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌
    Brother I haven't got to taste it yet. I had to wrap it and take off to work my friend.
    @Gman2‌
    Thank you for the very kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @SkinnyV- I thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Foghorn‌ - Let me delve a little deeper now that time allows. When it comes to cooking brisket, or any cut of meat for that matter. There is no "perfect" way my friend. There are literally untold ways to achieve a good end. It would take volumes to just touch on each one. The main thing is to do what works well for you. There have been more 1st place briskets cooked in foil or foil pans than any other method out there. Period. That doesn't mean that it's right for everyone. I myself can only produce mediocre briskets when using foil. Why? I cook by touch or feel if you will. Once you foil it you adultarate or distort the natural texture or feel. Therefore I pass on foiling. On the flip side of the coin, brother Mixon cooks by sight. Now remember that he is on a whole different level than most of us. There are probably less than 50 people in the world who can pull this off repetitively. He is certainly one of them and you could strongly argue the point that he is also the very best at it. Like him or not he is in a league all to himself. He has set records that have never been seriously approached little lone matched. And he is still adding to them to this day. He is the one who brought the hot and fast panned briskets into the modern bbq arena. At the other end of the spectrum you have brother Franklin and he cooks low and slow (275 and lower). He doesn't foil. The truth is he don't wrap in paper either for cooking. Only holding. Just trust me on this one. He offered up the wrapping with butcher paper to ween people from foil. Once you wrap a few in paper you realize that it is only necessary and beneficial during the rest. Myself and brother Tex more than proved this a few weeks back. My point with all of this? I offered two different ways that two different bbq gurus cook brisket. One hot and fast in a pan and finished covered with foil. The other low and slow and not wrapped at all. I don't think that anyone would try to argue that brothers Mixon and Franklin are not about as good as it gets. There two opposing methods more than prove that you can produce a superior product with any temp or method if you know what you are looking for. Again I err on the side of brother Franklin and do not foil. However if I had brother Mixons talent I would probably be a foiling machine. I hope that this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I agree with everything you said outside of Franklin not wrapping. I'm not disagreeing because of the stupid web series either. I'm extremely confident he wraps more often than not.

I do agree that superior results can be achieved without wrapping.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌ - I should have probably elaborated the point with more detail and clarity. It is a attempt that I will make here. As to brother Frankin not wrapping I was referring strictly to his competition method and up to 2009. Not how he cooks for his restaraunt. When cooking mass numbers of primals at once, I have no doubt that he probably wraps. But not for quality reasons. In this area brother Franklin needs no crutch. I feel that he would would wrap to extend the catch window due to dealing with such a large number at once. I do know for a fact that brother Franklin captured more than his fair share of 1st places without wrapping prior to 2009. If he now wraps in competition this farther backs my point that there are several ways to hit a home run. Because he was definitely knocking it out of the park without wrapping at one time. If he is now wrapping in competitions it's good that you brought this to light as again it serves a good reference to the question that Foghorn asked. Just do what gives you excellent results and you will ever go wrong. But on a side note brother Franklin and Mixon was probably not the best to use as a example. Why? Because they both can cook brisket in their sleep better than most of us can cook with a full blown effort.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Standing down my friends. Got to go in at 5:00am in the morning for some stupid pneumatic tests. Good night.

Status- Standing by.

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    @SGH Great pics of a great looking cook, not to mention the unit use to cook it in. Also I couldn't help but notice in one of your pics a BGE table in the background, what gives?
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    @SGH off topic but I saw the victorinix knife you posted in the 12" at a local shop, the curved one.
    Will that be sharp and good to go out of the package, or is it only with additional work the knife becomes good?
    I was also surprised by the size, not sure where I'd keep that sucker. They had it for $48 or so

Is usage only on large cuts like brisket or do you use the 12" on other cuts.
    Thanks
    Seattle, WA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Okay, this is going to sound very naive, I'm sure, but why did you have to switch cooking methods due to rain? In the PNW, if we didn't cook in the rain, we'd starve half the year...:)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌
    Sister I was cooking on Unit 6 not the egg. Why does this matter? I had stacked my wood splits close to the unit. Once they get soaking wet, they belch very heavy and dense white smoke. This in not good sister. The only way to prevent wet saturated wood from doing this is to really get up on the heat. The brisket would have tasted like a ash tray had I not compensated with the high heat. On the egg this would not have been a issue. Sorry for not being more clear above.
    @SkinnyV‌
    The knives are excellent "as is". I just like to make them work a little better my friend. For the type of use that you will probably use them for they are fine. I do a lot of sheep knuckle work so I regrind the breakers to aid in this task. If you ever want to see the difference, send me your knife and I will reset the angle for you free of charge. Be warned that once I do this the knives become very dangerous. They are more like using a laser than a knife.
    @OmahaOne‌
    That is my egg table. I took my egg out to transport it to brisket camp. There is a lady that has been posting some killer looking tables as of late on the forum and looking at her and her tables has inspired me to try and redo my table why I have the egg out. Just though I would give it a try and see what happens my friend.
    Thank you all for the kind words my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @SGH what's the propane tank for on Happy Unit #6?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    @thetrim‌
    Fish cooker. See where the chimney starter is sitting? That's the burner. Use it for starting lump as well my friend.

Status- Standing by.