Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walkerwood jerk and corn starch = crispy jerk chicken???

Would adding corn starch to the walkerwood jerk rub give then cooking at 350-400 indirect on the egg give me crispy jerk chicken?

Thanks

Mundelein, IL

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I would doubt it.  Cornstarch works well combined with dry rubs, but WW is a paste which is more like a thick marinade.  I would try coating in WW, and then setting it in the fridge for 1-2 days uncovered on a raised rack.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Ditto on Cow dogs comment.  My favorite piece of chicken to Jerk is chicken thighs.
    What I do is apply the WalkersWood wet rub to the exposed meat side of the thigh.
    I then apply a dry rub Jamaican Jerk Seasoning (Baron's Savory Secrets) #13 to the skin side of the thigh.  You could easily add cornstarch to this dry rub to crisp up the skin.  I also like to hit it with a little bit of spray oil.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Oh how I love Walkerswood!  I'm going to have to try the uncovered in fridge method as crispy skin eludes me.