Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blues Hog

Options
After all the fandom love it's received on the exchange thread, I am intrigued. Unfortunately, they don't list actual ingredients on their website. I try to avoid MSG and HFCS. (I do eat out and make some exceptions so clearly I'm not 100% successful...but I try.) To all you fans out there - should the opportunity arise, could you please take a pick of the name label (or just post it) and the ingredient label. If it passes inspection, I'm going to order some to see what all the love is about. :) TIA.
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Looks like Blues Hog is out then.  I'm agree about the HFCS.  Trying to cut it out whenever possible.  I buy no HFCS ketchup.  Good base for traditional BBQ sauce recipes.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Well I never cook with this directly. I always cut it 50/50 so not as thick. Started with Sweet Baby Rays and then to Bone Sucking Sauce. Now use the Franklins. Would that help you?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Bone Suckin' Sauce. It doesn't have MSG or HFCS.  If you haven't tried, it look for it. If you can't find it, let me know. 

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yeah I too BBQ for my health. :-O
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is a post that has some alternatives/recipes:

@RRP mentions that StickyPig was made by someone on the same BBQ team and is basically the same sauce. 

...also note there are some links to some copycat recipes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I too tried the Bone Sucking sauce and did not care for it. But I gave a second chance in BAked Bean recipe and it worked in there! I will try the Blues Hog for sure.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

@RRP mentions that StickyPig was made by someone on the same BBQ team and is basically the same sauce. 

I really recommend the StickyPig jalapeño sauce! It has a bite, but isn't too hot so it appeals to most people!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I use blues hog as a base for every comp. Cook i do. I love the sause they make.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

RRP said:

I really recommend the StickyPig jalapeño sauce! It has a bite, but isn't too hot so it appeals to most people!
    Yep, try the Sticky Pig.  Good stuff, especially if you like the spicy.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Blues Hog is from just north of you in Missouri. He use to have a small BBQ place in Perry, MO
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I like a mixture of 75% TN Red and 25% Original.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• RRP
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    @stlcharcoal Blues Hog is from just north of you in Missouri. He use to have a small BBQ place in Perry, MO
    Bill Arnold's place there in Perry has been closed for years!
    imageimage
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Yep, been there.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    @RRP, I did say "use" to. Ate there one time, only 45 miles from home.
  • RRP
    Options
    Tspud1 said:

I know you said that. I just posted pictures for anybody interested. We swung by Perry in route from Peoria, IL to Centralia, MO with a stop in Mexico to buy a carload of Ozark Oak.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    RRP said:
    Tspud1 said:

I know you said that. I just posted pictures for anybody interested. We swung by Perry in route from Peoria, IL to Centralia, MO with a stop in Mexico to buy a carload of Ozark Oak.

That just hurts my geographically challenged head.
    Sandy
  • RRP
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @PNWFoodie said: That just hurts my geographically challenged head.
    and @RRP said -sorry, I should have specified that I meant Mexico, MO!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This aversion to HFCS, where people avoid two almost identical products because one has cane sugar and the other HFCS, is ridiculous.  You need to avoid sugar, not avoid one type over the other.  So don't eat ketchups, regardless of the ingredients, because they all have sugar.

Can sugar is sucrose.  Your body breaks that down to glucose and fructose. Corn syrup is already broken down sucrose, and you can do this in your kitchen - it's called invert sugar and you can mix acid with sugar and it "seems" sweeter after the breakdown.  One molecule of sucrose breaks down to one molecule of glucose and one fructose.  So your body takes cane sugar and turns it into corn syrup.  BBQ sauce isn't a main course (at least I hope not).  You should consume an ounce or two with a meal - about the same serving size as ketchup.  So you might get 10-15 grams of sugar.  Compare that to a can of Coke, which is around 40 grams of sugar. 

There are no credible medical studies that have proven the glucose/fructose blends of HFCS or invert sugars are more unhealthy than cane (sucrose) sugar.  What there is, is a fad, just like butter is good for you one year and bad the next.  The chemistry and biology of the two sugar sources is well known, and the one thing that studies have definitively shown true is excessive sugar causes health problems.
    Options
    Let me add - corn sweeteners are cheap.  So they end up in the cheapest foods, and those are usually the least healthy.  If you're going to just look at the sugar source to evaluate "eat or not eat", then that may be a good field barometer or screen for the quality of the food.  So in that respect, even though it has nothing to do with the reality of the relative healthfulness of the type of sugar, it may be a good thing to tell people to watch for as a guideline. 

As to your health, avoid all simple sugars (unfortunately they are ubiquitous) so you limit them as a percentage of your caloric intake. 
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Let me add - corn sweeteners are cheap.  So they end up in the cheapest foods, and those are usually the least healthy.  If you're going to just look at the sugar source to evaluate "eat or not eat", then that may be a good field barometer or screen for the quality of the food.  So in that respect, even though it has nothing to do with the reality of the relative healthfulness of the type of sugar, it may be a good thing to tell people to watch for as a guideline. 

As to your health, avoid all simple sugars (unfortunately they are ubiquitous) so you limit them as a percentage of your caloric intake. 

well said...but does it have gluten In it? :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ Well said as usual my brother. But please allow me to add if I may. Sugar is awesome!!!!!!! ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - we would die without sugar.  How awesome is that?

I urge everyone avoiding HFCS to read this short article in it's entirety to reset the brainwashing that we've been fed by diet plans and marketers (yes, marketing is taking advantage of this hype). 

Learn as much as you can about the food you eat and try to filter out the bs.  MSG is another story - SWMBO almost goes into A-fib if she eats too much of it.  So we avoid it.

Here's the article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup_and_health
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I'm a huge fan of MSG as well. I know some folks are forced to avoid certain products due to health issues, but if you don't have issues or are not allergic to it then eat it and enjoy it!! This philosophy may be my undoing some day, but until then I'm sticking with it my friend. As you know all to well, I love to eat and eat large my brother. I think my food consumption is probably more unhealthy than a little sugar. Speaking of eating. Friday night we need to hit either Dragos or Oceana for some more bbq shrimp and oysters!! What say Ye?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - sounds good!

PS - I love MSG.  I used to buy the 1Kg bags at the Hong Kong market.  But I've had to cut it out of my cooking because of SWMBO's sensitivity.  I'll add fish sauce or soy to get the umami flavor to my food only.
    Options
    I am with @SGH, fortunately I don't have any health issues so the only thing I try to avoid is over drinking Monday - Thursday.... :D

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • stlcharcoal
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @SGH - we would die without sugar.  How awesome is that?

I urge everyone avoiding HFCS to read this short article in it's entirety to reset the brainwashing that we've been fed by diet plans and marketers (yes, marketing is taking advantage of this hype). 

Learn as much as you can about the food you eat and try to filter out the bs.  MSG is another story - SWMBO almost goes into A-fib if she eats too much of it.  So we avoid it.

Here's the article:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup_and_health

I agree with you on the HFCS thing......I think it's more marketing than anything else.  But I do know that real sugar crystalizes better on the grill (Maillard reaction)--that's why I try to use more real sugar in cooking.

I avoid MSG like the plague.  That stuff wires me--it gets in my brain and I have crazy dreams in this half sleep stage most of the night.  The problem is now they say "No MSG", but the put in "disodium guanylate", beet extract, or some other version of it that isn't technically "MSG".

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    This aversion to HFCS, where people avoid two almost identical products because one has cane sugar and the other HFCS, is ridiculous.  You need to avoid sugar, not avoid one type over the other.  So don't eat ketchups, regardless of the ingredients, because they all have sugar.

Can sugar is sucrose.  Your body breaks that down to glucose and fructose. Corn syrup is already broken down sucrose, and you can do this in your kitchen - it's called invert sugar and you can mix acid with sugar and it "seems" sweeter after the breakdown.  One molecule of sucrose breaks down to one molecule of glucose and one fructose.  So your body takes cane sugar and turns it into corn syrup.  BBQ sauce isn't a main course (at least I hope not).  You should consume an ounce or two with a meal - about the same serving size as ketchup.  So you might get 10-15 grams of sugar.  Compare that to a can of Coke, which is around 40 grams of sugar. 

There are no credible medical studies that have proven the glucose/fructose blends of HFCS or invert sugars are more unhealthy than cane (sucrose) sugar.  What there is, is a fad, just like butter is good for you one year and bad the next.  The chemistry and biology of the two sugar sources is well known, and the one thing that studies have definitively shown true is excessive sugar causes health problems.

My reason for avoiding both relates directly to both being GMO. I actually like the taste of both, but I don't believe GMO anything has been proven safe. Just my opinion and I'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to feeding my family. To each his own...:)
    Sandy
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Is MSG the stuff that makes your pee smell funny when you eat Chinese food?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    @PNWFoodie
    Do you grind your own flour from wheat you grew yourself from heritage seeds? Do you use store bought bread? Do you use any processed foods? Do you ever get fast/easy (pizza) foods? If you do not use any of  these you can somewhat limit your use of GMO's, but in reality unless you have become totally self subsistant they are in your diet in one form or another. I am not saying it isn't wise to try to limit them, but it is a basic impossibility in modern life with the conveniences we all expect. Not meaning to get on your case because your goals are laudable, just pointing out the reality.  You can help limit GMO's if you can shop in Canada as products there prohibit them as I recall. We had to make non GMO batches that were for export when I worked in the food industry.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa