Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Results of 24 bacon wrapped filets

Options
Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to give a huge thank you to all of those who help guide me in cooking 24 bacon wrapped filets. Every filet turned out like the guest requested and there was not a single morsel of meat left. [p]About an hour before everyone was to arrive and prior to cooking the steaks we filled the large egg with fresh lump and cooked a peach cobbler at 350. (thanks JSlot. The guests could not believe how great this was). Once the cobbler was ready and guests were being to arrive, I raised the temperatures to 450. Put 3 steaks on for those who had to have them well done, then added 5 for those that wanted medium well, then added 12 who wanted medium and finally added 4 for those who want rare. All came off at same time and they were delicious. The steaks were fairly thick so I had plenty of real estate. [p]Should I do this again, I would not use bacon wrapping. Only on the well and medium well was the bacon completely cooked. But that is what the guests requested and that’s what we did.[p]Great food and fellowship was had by everyone. When the evening was over, 6 couples said they were buying an egg.[p]Once again that you so much. You guys are great.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Butch M,
    Sounds like a great time. Too bad our invitation got lost in the mail <grin>.[p]If you decide to do the bacon wrap again, and know the numbers and preferences of your guests, blanch individual bacon strips for the rare and medium rare steaks before wrapping them around the filets. (You can do this a day in advance, holding the bacon in the refrigerator.) That way all the bacon will get done.[p]Ken

• Butch M
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Ken,
    Thank you so much!!!!!!!!
    That is a great sugeestion!
    Butch

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    What were the time intervals between putting the different steaks on?[p]Toy Man
  • Butch M
    Options
    Toy Man,

Approximately 3 minutes. As you will realize every time I open the lid, the temperature decreased as I was putting on steaks and also turning steaks. This really which helped with the cook. I cooked the rare for about 2 1/2 minutes each side.[p]I did have to put one rare back on for a couple of minutes, as it was not cooked enough. I think they really preferred medium rare

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Thats a good idea for ABTs as well. How long in the water, 2-3 minutes?

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    When I blanch bacon for ABT's, I drop chunks of bacon into a large pot of boiling water. Each chunk is 3 or 4 slices, cut crosswise for half strips. I take individual slices out when they begin to separate from each other - I'm guessing 2 to 3 minutes.[p]Ken