Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Truck Bed Covers

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Way off topic. I could go join another more topical forum, but the collective knowledge here is unrivaled on all topics. :D

Just took delivery of a new 2014 Silverado today. Need a bed liner and cover. I'm think a Bedrug for liner and not sure on cover. Found Peragon covers and thought they looked good, but then found lots of unfavorable reviews. So...I'd like to add gaskets around the tailgate to seal it up tight. I want a cover that is watertight as well as much as possible. I'm reading that no tonneau cover is 100% watertight and a lid is required if that is needed. I wasn't sure I wanted a lid that I would need to remove completely if hauling something.

So...anyone have opinions on a cover that retracts or folds that is still fairly watertight?

Thanks in advance.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Camper top.
    edited October 2014
    Bakflip, absolutely love it! I have a 2013 Ram and it's been a flawless upgrade!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I have a Rhino Liner over the rail on my Chevrolet 2500HD3 6.0L. Even with the FL extreme sun, heat, rain etc plus it has had quite a few heavy loads that were mostly loaded with forklifts or front end loaders. And it still looks as new as the day as it was installed 4+ years ago.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2014
    Undercover Lux Lid...... I was in the business and went this way for my own when I retired. Never looked back and would go same way today. Had them on demos for years. My wife and I can put it on or take it off in less than 5 min. I run thru automatic car wash and no water. imagephoto photo_zps90e075  <a href=photo photo_zps90e07502.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    I also like the option of what I just posted ^^^^ along with. Provides the most security. Period.
    http://rollnlock.com/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I have an Extang Solid Fold on my Tundra. I love it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Bak-flip F1 on my f150. For me, I wanted something that gave me the flexibility to carry something taller in the bed. It's a trade off with the solid one piece covers, but as Mickey pointed out, those are easy to remove and totally waterproof.

I've been very happy, car wash or driving through monsoon in AZ and less than 1/4 cup of water in bed, also keeps things somewhat cool - foam sandwiched between aluminum and fiberglass insulates well.
  • Galbi
    Galbi Posts: 27
    Retrax pro! A little expensive but great quality and warranty.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    GeorgeS said:

Bakflip, absolutely love it! I have a 2013 Ram and it's been a flawless upgrade!

GeorgeS said:

I agree, I have B2 for 2011. Paid $16360 delivered to my house. The only thing is when we had some 1/4 - 1/2 dollar size hail dimpled it.

http://www.realtruck.com/tonneau-covers/ram/truck-1500/2014/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    $16k a little spendy for a bed cover, no?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Legume said:

I'm hoping the 1 and 0 were typos, based on current prices.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Will it work on my Porsche?
    For $16k I'll mod mine and sell it to you
  • DMW, I'd go with the Rhino lining or Line x in the bed. I had that in my last Silverado. I'm picking up my 2014 today as a matter of fact. I'm leaning towards the Bakflip or the Rollnlock for mine.

Which model truck did you get if you don't mind me asking? I got a 1500 crew cab w/short bed.

Congrats on the new truck.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    IIRC I paid right at $1000 for my bakflip. There are several grades depending on how heavy duty you want the top to be. There are like three different weight ratings. You can fold it back against the glass to haul larger stuff or you can stack stuff on top when it's closed as well. I think mine will hold 450lbs on top.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    The last truck I had that wasn't a work provided truck, I had the LineX liner sprayed in over the rail... Loved it, and it never got hot sitting in the sun, wore like iron. I had the Paragon top, I liked it...

That said, my current 2014 F150 for work as a slid in liner; but it came with the BakFlip G2... Love the top, very water tight and easy to use, it's also nice that all I have to lock now is the tailgate instead of the top as well..

Congrats on the new truck! If I was buying for myself; I would get another GMC Sierra, crew cab, with the Durmax... damn I miss that truck :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I can't help you with the cover, but I'd get something like Rhino or Line-X. When I had my JEEP, I took everything out, sanded it down and rolled on some Durabak truck liner in it myself. Was a lot of work, but it saved me a few pennies and was still holding up 8 years later when I sold it. Whole lot cheaper if you are a DIY kinda guy.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I have a line x spray in liner and an Extang solid tri fold cover. Trifold will allow you to fold it up and have room to haul taller items.

I thought that having one of those silly rolling vinyl cover someone could just cut it and get in. This thing can support a quad so no one is getting in. And as stated above only having to lock the tailgate is super easier than locking 2.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i get very little water with my soft cover made by agri-cover. had a snap cover earlier and hated it, the agri closes with a single cam action and i can over pack the truck a bit. my 25 year old dodge has no damage in the bed, not a speck of rust, my dads 12 year old toyota however rusted from the frame up thru the bed, from the outside in. neither of us put in a bed liner, i think they are more problems than they are worth
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    Thanks guys, lots to consider. @pescadorzih‌ I ended going with a 1500 Double Cab, Regular bed. My kids have short legs and given their genetic pool, chances are that trend will continue. Figured the extra bed might come in handy vs the crew cab, short bed I was also considering. Congrats on yours, in the few hours I've had mine I really like it so far.

@fishlessman The reason I was looking at the Bedrug is it isn't permanent and shouldn't scratch the bed from what I can tell.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited October 2014
    I have a Rhino liner in my Dodge Ram (AKA Ol Black)  and love it.  I also have a Leonard fiberglass cover on it as well.  

The Rhino liner is awesome and will have one with every truck I ever have.  My previous I only had a liner and I hated it.  

The Leonard cover has been great as well.  It is lockable and is painted to match.  You just cannot put a lot of stuff  in there that is taller than the bed.  I do just rest the cover on the item if it will not hurt the item.  If not, I just pull my trailer to haul stuff.  

Here is a picture of it on the beach this summer.  It was great taking it to the OBX with all the stuff that comes along with an infant too.  The cover acted as shade if need be too.  

Also, I have never really noticed any water getting into the bed either @DMW.  There is a pretty nice sized weather stripping that is around the edge and when the weight of the cover places it expands.  I put all my light setup for photogarphy back there and leave it.  No issues.  

Picture of the truck and my wienie!  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255

I too went through this process with my new Ram last year.  I ended up going with the Bakflip and Full Bed rug liner.

The backflip has been great, all that it was billed to be.  It install easily and provides flexibility when I need to fold it back and haul taller items.  My kids climb on it so I know it is strong. It is Extremely water proof.  I am amazed at how water tight it is.  I have had it for a full year now and aside from a user error I have had very little water enter into the bed.

Regarding the Bed Rug.  It too is all it is billed to be but more.  One thing that I like is when I open the tailgate anyone standing around usually has to come and take a look because it looks great.  It looks as though it was installed by the factory.  Almost like a finished trunk in a car.  Secondly, NO MORE Sore knees climbing around in the back of the truck.  in fact we have laid back there to watch fireworks and I have been know to take a little snooze as well. 

On top of all that I haul whatever I want to in it and either blow it out or spray it out and it comes out looking new.  Great product for sure.  The two products install well together too.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Bak flip. Lockable. And water tight. Removable by yourself. Doesn't stretch out with snow on it. One problem. If you get an ice storm or the snow freezes over the back flap where it goes over the tailgate you can't open tailgate. I've seemed to manage just fine tho. Wouldn't trade for any other tonneau
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2014
    Recent new owner of an older, babied KY 4th Gen Silverado.  I'm with Griffin about saving a considerable amount of money and doing it myself.  It took 10 spray cans of 3M Professional Undercoating to do the entire undercarriage.  3M makes some good products, look into the reviews out there or talk with a body shop.  Plan to use the same product to spray in a liner next year when they run a recent sale again next year.  Prices for just having the bed done, were over $500, crazy.  With a recent Autozone rebate, all ten cans ended up costing $37.50, normally $11/can.  I don't even know how much the closest Ziebart would charge, $700-1000?  The DIY Line-X and Rhino cans are similar products, just a different label and $5 more per can.  

Cue the Bob Segar......

For the tonneau cover, I have a decent Truxedo rollup cover on my Taco.  Literally takes seconds to roll out or up when hauling.  The trifolds still have 1/3rd of the tonneau in place, wasting space.  The rollup does just that.  Have never been a fan of the solid fiberglass tonneau covers, seems like a waste of cargo/bed space.  IMO, it's more practical to get a topper.  Guess it boils down to how you use(or not use), your truck.  I have been researching different rollups at the various truck accessory shops locally.  For less than $500, plans are to purchase a Lund Genesis Elite and Bushwacker bed rail covers for my shortbed chev.  The best in quality for the rollups out there with favorable reviews, and easy DIY installation with the help of a buddy.  Materials in the Lund are more durable than the cheaper Truxedo vinyl which I try to maintain with 303 Aerospace Protectant as needed.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DMW
    Thanks everyone for all the input. Decision made. Ordered a Bedrug, Undercover Lux, and tailgate gasket seals. Due to travel schedule, will be installed Oct 13th.

Now to decide if I want to add bug deflector, rain guards and Nerf bars... I'm thinking those can wait.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    I bought a Bakflip F1 for my 2010 Silverado. I've had other types and this one is the most practical, plus it lays flush with the bed rails which makes it flow nicely with the looks of the truck. The price on the websites are negotiable, just so you know. I paid 899 for mine OTD. Install it yourself. It's easy.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Not sure if you decided on a bed cover yet, but I have a Truxedo TonneauTrax. It's a soft cover and the inside has adjustable tie down anchors. It will leak a scant amount when it goes through the high pressure car wash. I like it because it rolls up easily for bigger cargo and closes easily in seconds.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ladeback69
    Legume said:

Sorry that was supposed to be $630.00. Fat finger.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    That's delivered to my house too.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Here is my Bak B2 cover on my 2011 F150.

Kansas City, Mo.