Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive Wing Cook...

Options
Butt or Bust
Butt or Bust Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Poultry
I'm looking to do a pretty massive wing cook. I'm working with a large BGE and AR. I've never worked with multiple levels for wings before. I get good results with doing raised direct on the top level or even higher with the rig extender. I'm concerned about flare ups if I do 2 or 3 levels and also that the levels will cook inconsistently and the wings lower in the dome may burn instead of render and crisp. I've thought about rotating the levels or just doing two batches but it would be nice to churn out 120+ in one shot. Anybody got experience with doing at least 2 levels of wings on the AR direct? Thanks

Comments

• jshillin
    Options
    I've done 2 levels many times, but always do them indirect.  Much easier to do because you won't have to keep flipping them.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    jshillin said:
    I've done 2 levels many times, but always do them indirect.  Much easier to do because you won't have to keep flipping them.
    Agree...AR with 2 loaded racks I would go indirect. Slide, pull or rotate as needed but much less work than trying direct.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Not an AR. I've done two layers of lollipops close to two hundred (or basically close to one hundred regular wings). On my LBGE. Set-up was indirect with a homemade raised grid for the second level. I would imagine it would be similar with an AR. I could be wrong though.
    Side note: I'd personally go indirect on them vs direct. That's just me.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    I would have to agree, indirect if doing multiple grids. I never flipped but did swap grids half way through.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    When loading any cooker to full or near full capacity on multi levels, indirect is the clear choice. Now this is not true when loading one level to capacity. But multi levels are very hard to control direct. It's been my experience that the lower section of the cooking chamber will run much hotter than the rest of the cooker when really loaded down with meat and cooking direct. Why? This requires a very in depth answer but the real abbreviated and shortned answer is back pressure due to convective and radiant restriction. I will delve farther into this if requested. But again if you are really going to load up I would recommend indirect my friend. Just my thoughts.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'd go indirect as well. That much chicken you are gonna have a ton of fat dripping into the coals producing smoke like an ole coal fired cho cho train. I can see them coming out way to smoky, but that's just my $0.02.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I am sure I am in the minority on this but I do all of my wing cooks indirect. Even small batches. I come out with a nice crispy crust and still really moist and good flavor. If need be to speed it up I may go direct at the very end to finish but not very often.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    I also do mine indirect however I have a question. I'm impressed by the volume some of you turn out I usually do small batches. Will the wings still cook if touching each other or even piled on the grid? Thanks all and good luck can't wait to see how it works out for you.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I just did 20 lbs of wings about a month ago.  Did them in 2 stages with the AR (10 lbs each stage).  I started direct but quickly went to indirect as I came out of the house to check on things and I had a tremendous amount of smoke rolling out of the egg from all of the grease/fat dripping on the charcoal. Remedied the situation and they turned out just fine.  On those I went indirect at 375 and rotated the racks top to bottom and front to back half way through the cook.
    XL BGE
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    I've only done it once, but indirect fo sho.  Never needed to rotate, turned out just fine.  Good luck!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Butt or Bust
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!!! I guess it's time to work my first indirect wing cook. I was at an hour plus at 350° dome on direct before the fat rendered enough and got a nice crisp. What temps are you guys cooking at for indirect? I'll be running an oval grid at the highest position possible with the AR extender and one level below that.
  • Butt or Bust
    Options
    SPRIGS said:
    I just did 20 lbs of wings about a month ago.  Did them in 2 stages with the AR (10 lbs each stage).  I started direct but quickly went to indirect as I came out of the house to check on things and I had a tremendous amount of smoke rolling out of the egg from all of the grease/fat dripping on the charcoal. Remedied the situation and they turned out just fine.  On those I went indirect at 375 and rotated the racks top to bottom and front to back half way through the cook.

You recall how long those batches took?