Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on three levels on AR with grid extender on LG BGE

Options

the results were incredible, 235F for five hours, dry rub of brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper,  a little bit of garlic in dry rub too and beer in the drip pan

Doing six racks on the LG with the AR, Rig extender on 3 levels was so easy I couldn't believe it.  also, very minimal fuel use.  Vaquero brand lump, maybe 1/4 of a 15 lb bag.  awesome awesome awesome

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Did you have to rotate the racks for even cooking? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    @westernbbq that's a nice set up. Can you tell me what that AR rig w/extender cost? Thanks
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    @westernbbq  Do you have the R&B combo with the oval stone?  I find that helps from burning the ends that hang over the round stone.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    Did you have to rotate the racks for even cooking? 
    I probably should have rotated  but I didn't.  I just set it up midday, used the bbq guru for low temp control, went back to work, and when I got home, they were probably the best looking ribs I ever made.  I used the round stone only.  some of the bone ends got a little charred but the people I took the ribs to flat out loved them.  maybe i'll rotate if ever in a contest.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Sixpack1 said:
    @westernbbq that's a nice set up. Can you tell me what that AR rig w/extender cost? Thanks

I just went to see my order history at the Ceramic Grill Store-  one year ago, I bought the R&B package that included the following for $150:  Adjustable Rig, 2 extra cross bars, 13x17 oval stone, oval grid, and slide guide.

Then, shortly thereafter for a total cost of $89.00 I added the following combination:  Adjustable Rig Extender with crossbars, Large sliding round (with one edge cut off so I looks like a flat tire) grid, oval stainless grid.

Lastly, earlier this year for my birthday, I ordered for a total of $61.00 the following:  round ceramic stone of 13" and a 5 legged spider for the large.

So, for $301 I was able to put together what you see in the picts and have an oval stone left over that I don't use too often.

The oval stone is the item I use for baking and I probably should have gotten the spider and round stone, then added the adj rig, two ovals and the rig extender.

So, it ain't inexpensive but so worth it.  I have similar setups for the XL BGE as well but there's no rig extender for the XL.  But, I can cook on three levels on the XL too and probably get 4 racks of ribs per.  I am less concerned about the oval stone and shielding the meat from rising heat as I am about getting as much meat in the BGE with good bbq air circulation.  when meat directly above rising heat is an issue, I diffuse it with aluminum foil on the edges

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Great setup. I have the same but have never used all 3 levels. Glad to know it works. Great looking ribs!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • westernbbq
    Options
    jhl192 said:
    @westernbbq  Do you have the R&B combo with the oval stone?  I find that helps from burning the ends that hang over the round stone.  
    I do have the oval stone but I didn't use it in this setup.  I used the spider and round stone right over the fire, and on top of that I put an aluminum drip pan.  Next were the adj rig with two oval grids spaced apart, and then the rig extender up top with the round grid in the attic.  The result was three nicely and evenly spaced grids for six racks of ribs. I love the BGE to begin with but the multi grid setup the versatility that is added enabled me to feed a lot of people with a small amount of fuel.  Moreover, the food was so good the people I took it to thought it was from a high-end bbq restaurant.  And, once everything was set up, the ribs cooked unattended.
  • GATABITES
    Options
    ribs look damn good my friend. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • westernbbq
    Options

Thanks Gat!  They were tasty- Is that an original Tampa Bay Bucs helmet logo you have there?  If so or not, it's pretty cool....
  • GATABITES
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @westernbbq - yep, imma home town Buccs fan. 

I have the AR to, but for the XL. The last time i did 4+ racks, I should have rotated as the top two racks began to char from the radiant dome heat. They were good but next big rib cook i plan to rotate. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • westernbbq
    Options

I've not done that quantity yet on the XL, but plan to for some upcoming tailgate parties.  you can set up the AR with three levels and I think you can rotate them all- but the nicest part of the AR in the BGE is that you can pull the entire thing out of the EGG and then rotate them off to the side, provided you have a surface to put the rig on.

Four racks on three levels- 12 racks at a time in XL plus 9 more racks on the LG with the AR, Rig Xtender makes a lot of racks of ribs in my camp which would easily feed 40+ people.  plenty of smoky circulation and even cooking on the ribs.  I like doing 4 picnic shoulders on the LG BGE with the AR and Rig Extender--I've posted picts of that process on this forum somewhere but see below -they are in there pretty tight and sometimes slight trimming is needed but the efficiency of the BGE plus the number of people you can feed with four shoulders is insanely awesome.  the AR has really added another dimension of deliciousness and capacity to the BGE experience

if you didn;'t want to mess with rotations, just put foil along the exposed edges of the meat underneath it and to the sides to protect it. 

post picts here when you do ultimately do the multigrid on your XL and four racks of ribs per, i'd like to see the configuration in action

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Excellent ribs and way to utilize all of the LBGE real estate using the AR. :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • westernbbq
    Options
    thanks NPHusker and ThailandJohn.  I am probably going to do a multigrid burger and sausage smoke this weekend. I say probably as it depends on whether the flag football team I am on has a makeup game that inhibits my eggin' this weekend.  If I can get to the eggin' like i want, i'll post picts somewhere here.  last nite, I ran about 30 lbs of pork shoulder through the grinder and refroze it, so if I can find some time to spice and case about 6 or so lbs of it this weekend, that'll be 18 good sized links.  I need the AR multi grid system to cook it all at once, indirect of course. works like a charm, every time
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend. Excellent job =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• westernbbq
    Options

Thanks Buddy!

I've gotten so many great pointers and ideas off of this forum that I'm compelled to give as much back as possible,  good group, good folks and the passion for the BGE that is on the board is fantastic.,