Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made Honey Baked Ham

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @MJLivingston‌ @SkinnyV‌ @DMW‌
    @anzyegg‌ @Acorn‌ @StillSmoken‌ @Eggcelsior @mshump‌ @caliking‌ @SmokeyPitt‌
    Above is one of the recipes for honey baked ham that y'all requested. I will post others when I'm feeling better. Hope y'all enjoy and sorry for the delay my friends but I have really been under the weather.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I forgot to say that if you are cooking on the egg you can skip the pan with the coke, honey, apple and orange juice as it's not necessary. If you are using a wood fired unit then I highly recommend it's use.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dagriller
    dagriller Posts: 74
    Options
    Thanks for sharing how you created this amazing ham! I can't wait to give it a try.
    LBGE Johns Creek, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @dagriller‌
    Thank you for the kind words and you are more than welcome my friend. I hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do. Going to add a few more recipes when I'm feeling better.

Status- Standing by.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited June 2014
    Options

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Durangler
    Options

• Durangler
    edited June 2014
    Options
    WTF ... text won't display??

SGH -- I hope you get to feeling better soon!
    Where might someone procure the Processors Choice Brown Sugar Cure A4780050??
    I found some here, but don't think I need 50 pounds!
    https://www.bunzlpd.com/product.php?productid=360469&cat=992205&page=1
  • SGH
    Options
    @Durangler‌
    Thank you my friend. If you have a local butcher they will usually sale you a small amount. They buy it by the cases. I have never been to a butcher shop locally that did not use this cure. It seems to be very popular. I wish I could find a internet source that would sale small amounts but up to this point I never have. I have been purchasing mine from a shop called The Butcher Block. I hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    edited June 2014
    Options
    My friend, why buy a brown sugar cure when you can make your own. Everyone has those ingredients in their pantry. Google brown sugar cure recipe. Easy peesy.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Thanks and hope you feel better my friend. Happy Fathers Day to you...
  • SGH
    Options
    @‌EggerinLA
    It's one of those things I haven't been able to replicate. I feel there is trade secret ingriedants in the cure that will never come to light. Also I like it so much and it's readily available I stick with it. Hope this helps.

@anzyegg‌
    Thank you brother. Happy Fathers Day to you as well my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Thanks... I have saved in my recipe file.
    Greatly appreciated.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • SGH
    Options
    @‌mcmac
    You are welcome my friend. I hope you enjoy.

Status- Standing by.

• StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    Options
    We're can I find Processors brown sugar cure a4780050?
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    Where can I find^^^^
  • SGH
    Options
    Do you have a local butcher shop? They will sale you small amounts. The only other alternative is to order it by the 50 pound case. All butcher shops use it.

Status- Standing by.

• StillSmoken
    Options
    Thanks! I'll hit my butcher shop up ! I recently found one I really like.
  • GoHorns
    Options
    How long was it on the smoker?

Deep In The Heart of Texas...A State of Mine....

• SGH
    Options
    @GoHorns‌ 3 hours at 275 degrees. You just want to take the internal to 135 degrees my friend. No higher.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Heed SGH on this - 135F.  The package will tell you to cook to 160F.  Don't do it.   There are no safety reasons to re-heat it that high - it's cured and pre-cooked.   It is safe to eat.
    edited September 2014
    Options
    No. Do not got to 165 as it will be dry. I have made hundreds of these hams. Trust me when I say 135 is absolutely spot on my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Monaarts
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe @SGH.  I'm surely gonna try this - looks and sounds great!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Monaarts‌
    You are welcome brother Arts. Hope that you enjoy it. We absolutely love them.

Status- Standing by.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Looks good, but I will probably never buy another pre-sliced Ham, unless it is for a potluck.
    I prefer to slice it up on my own.  while serving it hot, I will make thicker slices, but that isn't the driving factor.  It's the left overs, I really prefer to be able to slice about 2/3rds of the leftovers into much thinner slices for sandwiches, and the remaining third I always like to cut into little cubes for omelettes, or to toss in with some mac'n'cheese.

I also prefer to cook uncooked hams, but it seems they are a lot harder to find these days.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Wylecyot
    Options
    Looks awesome SGH!  I've been doing hams similar to this for years.  They always turn out well!  I've always gone with apple wood, but may try cherry next go around.  I'm curious though...I have not altered my approach when cooking a spiral cut of half/whole ham.  I am interested to know how you handle the difference. 

One other question...I try to keep the grill temp below 260 degrees.  I've been told sugar tends to burn at 265 degrees.  Maybe the experts can correct me if I am wrong?  Have you tried cooking a the lower temps?

Thanks again!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The surface of the meat doesn't instantly assume the temperature of the oven. Moisture is constantly evaporating from the meat which cools it and anything with water in it won't get much hotter than the boiling point of water. Yes, sugar will caramelize and eventually burn but you'll be long done before that point.
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Wylecyot‌ Brother they cook the very same as far as spiral vs halved. As to the sugar scorching. There is a lot of debate and different thoughts on this subject for sure. Here is mine for what it's worth. I find that I can get away with a very long dwell time at 275 degrees. Why? The answer is simple and contains no ambiguity open to debate. Moisture. The sheer volume of humidity from the thermal mass being cooked, in this case a very moist ham representing the thermal mass. Could I get away with it on a smaller and leaner cut of meat? Probably not my friend. But with a thermal mass of 6+ pounds containing 35-40 percent moisture by weight "not volume" I can achieve spectacular results that I can replicate time and time again due to the constant high humidity in the cook chamber. Follow my recipe and guideline above and she will be spot on my friend. Hope this answers your question and I certainly hope that you enjoy my version of a honey baked ham. All joking aside, brother Nola can explain the heat transfer/humidity relationship much better than I can. I just know how to apply it. If you would like farther detail on my hypothesis give brother Nola a shout. He can certainly explain it far more in depth and much better than I can.

Status- Standing by.

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Bookmarked.  Thanks for sharing, I'm not the biggest ham fan, but the SWMBO loves it.  it will be a great surprise some weekend soon as a test before the holidays.. Hope you feel better soon

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Didn't see how long ago this thread started until after I posted.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SGH
    Options

Didn't see how long ago this thread started until after I posted.

No worries brother Counter. It's the thought that counts my friend!

Status- Standing by.