Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday was Pizza Night

Options

Just because our 2 boys were gone doesn't mean that we can't have pizza night without them, right?  That's what I thought last Saturday. I took the easy route and purchased a couple crusts from our local brick-fired pizza joint.  I'd never thought of trying to purchase pre-made dough until I read it here on the forum.  At $2 a pop I thought it was a bit pricey, but it saved me a bunch of time and effort.  Next time I may try another source if I don't feel like making the dough. Since I knew this crust was intended to bake at blazing heat in the restaurant, I tried the same.

Setup: indirect on the raised grid of my CGW swing grate baked on pizza stones. The stones are 6" square...used 4 to make a 12" square surface.  Almost too big to close the dome on my LBGE. (I may have to invest in the additional (shorter) posts for the swing grate for future cooks.)

2 pizzas...onion, mushroom, sausage, Canadian bacon.  The first one cooked at about 650 and was on for about 6 minutes...probably 30-60 seconds too long.  The crust was just this side of too done.

imageimage

The second was the same, with the addition of a little goat cheese.  It cooked closer to 600 and I pulled it a bit sooner.  Both were great.

imageimage
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    You deliver? 
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    both look great, nothing better than pizza night.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    They look amazing!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

Brilliant

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    they look good enough to eat 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    good stuff. 
    =D>
  • lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    Awesome looking pies.... =D>
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    They were pretty tasty!
    Starting the egg up now for tonight's Splatchcock chicken. Boy, does the bottom portion of the egg look nice and clean. Benefit to doing a hot pizza cook.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Fine looking pies!!!!!!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Great looking pies, can't wait to see the spatchcock!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    As requested:
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Those za's look incredible.  I made ten pies on sat nite and wished that I would've taken some picts of them.  they didn't look as good as the ones you made here my friend but I will say this, the pies I made sat nite according to one guest who has a brick pizza oven in his yard said that the pies he makes on his BGE are BETTER than the ones he makes in his $7K brick pizza oven!  soooo, I am sticking with the BGE for life.

I just need to figure out how to properly mix, toss and rotate the dough.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @itsmce‌ Good lord man. That looks insane!!! =P~ I will take 6 for myself ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =P~ Damn!! Those are some mighty fine looking pizzas. Nicely done, Sir!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• yerman94539
    Options
    A lot of great ideas here. For a solid guide though for pizza dough and making pizza I recommend: 
    http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm   He guides you through the making of the dough, including the measurements for flour, water, yeast, culture atec. --  all the way through the best (IMO) pizza sauce for traditional Neopolitan and NYC / NJ style pizza. I have worked with it now for about a year, and the pizzas come out great on my BGE (LG), typically baking at 550-575 Deg F. Suggestion: Don't go nuts on the temp. Temp is strictly (!) dependent on the TYPE of dough you make (hydration, gluten, etc.). I use King Arthur unbleached bread flour most of the time. Sometimes I add 100g of Caputo "00" flour to the total weight of 555g of flour. Check out Varasano's you will not be disappointed. For the starter cultures: Go to www.sourdo.com. I use 3 cultures, alternatively just for variety and slight difference in crust taste. 2 of them are Italian and the 3rd is a San Francisco sourdough. All are good. BTW? For a NJ style pizza? Try 20% grated provolone / 80% mozz in your grated (!) cheese mix.  I'll post photos of my next pizzas .  Enjoy!  
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Pizzas look great!

I'm surprised the paper holds up at those temps.  When I tried the paper route, I could use it to get the pizza neatly on to the stone but after a minute I had to pull it.  The paper would burn into a crisp by the time the pizza was done and break into pieces when you tried to remove it.
    LBGE/Maryland