Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rump roast fail

Options
The butcher was out of chuck roast, so I has to settle for a rump roast, I barbequed it 225 for about 6 hours (4 lbs), foiling it after two hours. Final temp close to 200. It was insufferably dry. Any ideas of what went wrong, maybe everything? Thanks, John
Kemah, TX

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You should've pulled it at about 150°. 200 Is Way past temp.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother let me say, if I may. Don't wast your money on rump unless you are making jerky. It's just the bottom of the barrel if you will. You can cast spells on it, pray to your guru of choice and perform whatever voodoo that you want and it still turns out mediocre at best. The only mistake that you made was purchasing rump. There are much better cuts out there in the same price range as rump. Just skip this one my friend and chose something better.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    next time dont do it unless you find a big 7 pound or larger chuck eye
    :D 4 pounds is not big enough, thats the wrong cut, would have made a better potroast in the egg. our rump up here from the local butcher is huge, made up of all the rounds, he will cut me a steak from the loin end that fills the large grill,calls it new york sirloin, never new til a few years ago rump is the bottom round in the rest of the world
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Thanks, folks! Lesson learned. I usually buy chuck roast and it turns out fine.
    Kemah, TX