Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy beef ribs in DC metro area?

Options
I'm having trouble finding beef ribs at the grocery store.  I've looked at Costco, Giant, Safeway, and Food Lion.  I've also tried two different Asian grocery stores--Hmart and Lotte.  I live in Montgomery County, MD.  In two weeks I'm driving to NJ for my nephew's B-day.  Anything along I-95 or along Rt70 to Toms River?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Restaurant Depot. A membership is required, but any business license or a membership to KCBS (www.kcbs.us) will get you in.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    I have seen them at Walmart in Germantown
    Chester, MD
  • Dcgriller
    Options
    Not sure about Montgomery county, but harveys meat market in NE dc has the best beef I've ever tasted. It ain't cheap, but it's reasonable considering the quality.
  • aukerns08
    Options
    DMW said:
    Restaurant Depot. A membership is required, but any business license or a membership to KCBS (www.kcbs.us) will get you in.

I've been wanting to check out Restaurant Depot for a while.  If I join KCBS as an individual that's all I need to get a Restaurant Depot membership?
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Maxwell1331
    Options
    Try Wegmans in Frederick. I can get them at the ones down here in NOVA.
    LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @aukerns08
    Correct, after joining, create an online account at kcbs.us and go to the "Discounts" section of their website. There is an image there with RD details. Print out and take with you along with your KCBS card and a photo ID. They are only supposed to give you a day pass and you need to do this each time you visit. However, I was issued an actual card, ymmv.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • atgcpaul
    Options
    OK, thanks.  I'll check our Walmart and Wegmans in Germantown.
  • aukerns08
    Options
    @DMW
    Thanks I'll definitely be checking them out.

@atgcpaul, I'm not really near Germantown but on the Northern VA side of the DC Metro area I've seen beef ribs at both Food Lion and Harris Teeter.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Are you talking about beef back ribs, chuck short ribs, or plate short ribs?

The Wegmans in Frederick(I live nearby) has back ribs but they aren't that meaty. They also have short ribs but they are cut up English-style into "riblets", and mostly meant for braising. There are three butchers nearby me(within 45 minutes) that I like. Hemp's in Jefferson, Wagner's in Mt Airy, and JW Treuth's in Oella(Catonsville). I frequent Treuth's the most since they are on my way home from work(Baltimore). I have been able to find plate short ribs there and they were very good. You can call them and have something custom-cut to fit your needs. The nice thing about these three is that they are sourcing whole cows(Hemp's has a farm, all three are abattoirs) so they aren't ordering off of a sheet from an outside company. 
  • atgcpaul
    Options

Good question.  Definitely not short ribs.  I can find them everywhere.  I think I'm looking for beef back ribs.  I haven't cooked with them in 15+ years.  I always just called them beef ribs.  They used to be super cheap but the days of cheap meat is long gone.

Harris Teeter is on my way home.  I'll swing by there first.  I guess I didn't realize there were so many different grocery store options until I started typing them out.

I bought a 75lb pig from Mt. Airy Meat Locker 2 years ago.  I spit roast it overnight for my daughter's 1st birthday party.  My goodness that was some good pork!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I'll second the suggestion for Treuth's.  It is pretty quick off 695 in Catonsville as well for when you're traveling to or from NJ.  Definitely give them a call, I would expect that they'd be able to ID exactly what you're looking for and cut you some.

http://www.jwtreuth.com/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

Good question.  Definitely not short ribs.  I can find them everywhere.  I think I'm looking for beef back ribs.

I have cooked all 3 types of ribs. I used to prefer the beef back ribs until I discovered how to cook uncut chuck short ribs or Plate Ribs.  Restaurant Depot is charging about $3.59/pound for uncut short ribs and $6.59 for uncut Plate Ribs.  I think that a properly cooked full slab of chuck short ribs tastes better than beef back ribs.  Restaurant Depot usually also has beef back ribs and they were about $2.99/pound the other day. It's hard to find meaty beef back ribs unless you special order them from your butcher.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    The organic butcher. McLean Va. They have it all. And they are a BGE dealer. Best meat you'll ever find.

http://theorganicbutcherofmclean.com