Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The little burner that could - fried chicken

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Someone posted about one of these a couple weeks ago, and I don't remember who, or I would give thanks and credit.  Was in Walmart yesterday, and saw one, and couldn't resist for $20 (CI DO not included)

The only thing I miss about not having a gasser is not having the side burner, and this solves that issue.
Only took about 10 minutes or so to get the oil up to 350, and was able to maintain temp easily.
Did 2 batches of fried chicken, soaked in buttermilk, with cayenne, salt, pepper, garlic.  Added the same spices to the flour.

Turned out great, although next time will fry at 325 to keep from over browning, but other than that, it was moist and tasted great.

I can now fry shrimp, fries, doughnuts etc. without the smell in the house the Mrs. won't tolerate.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    NIce pick up, my fryer went out maybe this is the way to go.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

Turned out great, although next time will fry at 325 to keep from over browning, but other than that, it was moist and tasted great.

I've always heard that frying at lower temperatures makes them retain more oil, i.e. turn out greasy.

I may have to give lower temp a try as I find my outside to be a little darker than I prefer as well when I deep fry.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Lakie
    Lakie Posts: 19
    Options
    I've been looking for a burner to use outside. Who is the maker?
    Brookhaven, GA 
    One Large BGE and four bad Terriers
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Coleman. Single burner butane. Hardest part was finding the butane. The Walmart I bought the burner at was out, as was ****'s, Bass Pro, another Walmart, the Asian market, another ****'s. Finally found some at Target.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If you have any Asian markets check them out - great source for butane, last pack I picked up was on sale for 50% off - 4 cans for $3.99 (use it with my torch)

PS - great idea for a side burner. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very cool. Something I might try if I didn't have a turkey burner/shrimp and/or crawfish boiler/ beer burner thingee already. Totally agree about the smell in the house.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    "Back when coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be"....

Back in the day fried chicken was cooked slow. Always the whole chicken, cut at home, fried in lard. Fry it covered at a low temp till cooked through and tender and then higher to get the crust.

I love my electric side burner. Steaks in ci last night on it. Eggs and potatoes Friday morning.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Just curious, but aren't the Coleman mini propane burners more economical than butane?