Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone size for Mini?

Options
Those of you that have a mini Woo, what size pizza stone do you use for heat deflection, and pizza making? I see an 8" and 8.5" on Amazon. I measured my egg, and it seems like the 8.5" doesn't leave much room for hot air to get by.

Thanks,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• fljoemon
    Options
    8.5 inch pizza stone works fine on my mini.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    This is it as indirect. Have used this 8.5 for years. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2014
    Options
    My mini has a 10" grid and I bought the two-pack of 8 1/2" stones from amazon. As best I can recall, I have never used them on the mini. For anything. Never done a pizza there either. I use as an occasional indirect piece on the large, but that's about it. They were a purchase that seemed like a good idea at the time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    edited September 2014
    Options
    My mini has a 10" grid and I bought the two-pack of 8 1/2" stones from amazon. As best I can recall, I have never used them on the mini. For anything. Never done a pizza there either. I use as an occasional indirect piece on the large, but that's about it. They were a purchase that seemed like a good idea at the time.

Michael try this for the kids (and adults). photo photo-1415.jpg photo photo-1677.jpg photo photo-292.jpg

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Never happen. Sweet pizza just ain't natural. ;)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options

Two tortillas with Nutella, strawberries & bananas. Some powdered sugar on top. Not pizza. Did this for Grandkids and then for Salado EggFest.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Carolina Q
    If those stones are collecting dust, I will gladly put them to good use. Feel free to ship them to just this side of Biloxi Ms. and I will wear them out my friend ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    edited September 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Carolina Q If those stones are collecting dust, I will gladly put them to good use. Feel free to ship them to just this side of Biloxi Ms. and I will wear them out my friend ;)

I use them, just not for pizza. An 8" pizza just doesn't seem worth the effort. :) don't think I've ever done an indirect cook on the mini either. In fact, I haven't done ANY cook on the mini in about a year and a half. Until last night's chicken breast. Seriously. Don't know what came over me last night. Was quite good! Though temp control isn't the mini's forte.

Your "address" reminds me of the time, years ago, that I sold some antique car parts to a woman in a small town in Maine (aren't they all?). She said she didn't have a street address. "Just send it to the blue house." :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Forgot to mention, these are the ones I have. They've been put into a 900* egg (cold) and they're still in one piece. My large, not the mini. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000E1FDC/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1411938964&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I actually live sort of in between Lyman/McHenry and Saucier. Kind of a "no mans land" if you will. It's much easier and geographical accurate to use the moniker "Just this side of Biloxi, MS." Also it has a nice ring to it as well. And for clarification the terms use to be widely used. Just this =West off. Just that=East off. Hence, I am just west of Biloxi Mississippi. Thatgrimguy is just that side of Biloxi or east off.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    These come in a set:    :D

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I use the 8.5" ones from Amazon as well. Work great. Made a few pizzas, never a low and slow, but they do come in handy for a mess of appetizers. ABT's, MOINK balls, wings (if you like to do them indirect) as well as some other stuff. I think they do come in handy. Now I want to leave work and fire up the mini and I've only been here 40 minutes.

Wings

Turtle Eggs

@Mickey tortilla pizzas

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    For two people, I use the stones with a mini woo for indirects all the time. Pork loin. Chicken (including game hens and wings). ABTs. Those plus the directs keep the mini busy.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia