Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear question

I have one rib-eye that my lovely bride and I will share today.  It is 2.35 pounds.  Looks wonderful.  Decided to try a reverse sear.  My question is this:  During the first cook, do you do that direct?  I know the second will be but just not positive on the first.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

Comments

• I do my reverse sear first cook on a raised direct grill set-up. Then when I take the steak off, I can just pull off the top grill and the brick spacers, then fire up to 500 or so.

Reverse sears are easy, but there is a learning curve with everything. Just make sure you keep the temperature stable and low. If you let it vary and it gets too high, the steak will get too done.

.....make sure to post photos.....
    LBGE
  • i have struggled with pictures.  i will try.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Many (maybe most) do the first portion indirect, but it probably doesn't matter as long as you have good temp control as @DocWonmug mentioned.  The most common mistake I have made is overcooking.  The temp of the meat will rise 5-10 degrees after you take it off of the intial portion of the cook and will rise another 5-10 degrees during the sear (depending on how long you sear it).  I usually take mine off of the low temp porton of the cook about 15 degrees below my target temp.  And be aware that once the temp starts rising, it rises fast, picking up steam once it hits about 100 - so that is a good time to be very near the grill and not have other things to do.  Having a drink and chat around that time has led me to overcook several good pieces of meat.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I'm new to steaks on the egg, so FWIW: I pulled my steaks last night at 110 for me and 120 for my wife, then let the grill get up to 650 or so and seared each for a total of 2 1/2 minutes. Final temp was 118 for mine, nice and rare, and 130 for hers, beautiful medium rare. Good luck!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • OMG. 275 till 113. Pulled then ran egg to 550. 1 minute per side. Leftovers will be in steak salad tomorrow night.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

• You don't need any advice - you Sir are a Reverse Sear Guru! Excellent.

I do mine at 250-275º indirect. MBGE setter is not a big deal to lift out of the egg. 
    Lately, I've used CI skillet or a torch to do the finish sear, no better no worse than the egg - just different. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @erniemcclain‌ you NAILED it. Nice.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC