Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please have a heart...

Options
2»

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Regardless of the cut of meat, I liked the fact it was all meat, no yucky bell peppers ruining the entire kabob.

Growing up, my sister and I had a word for the chunks of bell pepper our evil step-mother liked to put into almost everything.
    We called them "Green Ickies". 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I know how ridiculous this sounds, because I am a meat eater...but the thought of heart makes me squeamish. (Go figure, since I love chicken liver and foie gras.) SGH, your description of how to select one did NOT help at all! Having said that, it looks like a great cook and kudos to you @DMW for branching out. Nice job! Also, huge props on the weight loss...here's to many more years with with your big guy!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    The best coney dog in the world is from American coney in Detroit Michigan. The meat they use in their chili is beef heart and it is Awesome.

I have been making chili with smoked brisket a lot lately but thanks to this thread I am going to use a beef heart next weekend for the chili, but I need help on how to smoke a whole heart. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    MeTed said:
    The best coney dog in the world is from American coney in Detroit Michigan. The meat they use in their chili is beef heart and it is Awesome.

I have been making chili with smoked brisket a lot lately but thanks to this thread I am going to use a beef heart next weekend for the chili, but I need help on how to smoke a whole heart. Any advice would be appreciated.
    @MeTed
    I wish I could help you on how to do it whole. That was what I wanted to do, but from the research I did the muscle is rather lean and I'm not sure how it would lend itself to a low and slow smoke.

I have a feeling @SGH might be able to help with this question.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks @DMW I look forward to @SGH response. Thanks again for the original post it was most interesting and helpful!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    This is the only way to ensure freshness...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2E1CoGe98

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @DMW‌ @SGH‌ - Thanks for the explanation!

Options
    Bump for response when time allows.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH Just a bump to see your thoughts on cooking it whole.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I bet he hangs the heart from his meat hooks by the chordae tendineae.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    My brother in laws dad used to eat deer hearts. If one of us killed a deer and didn't save him the heart he would get real pissed off. God rest his soul.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .