Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak...how I do it!

Options

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Options
    Just trying to learn.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Just trying to learn.
    Of course!  Hit me up with any questions.  Also, if you're not comfortable with using feel, no harm in using your thermapen.  However, firmly touch your steak so you can see what your preferred temp feels like.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great! Cast iron sear is definitely better flavor than visually impressive grill marks. No question about it, and science backs it up.

I still like reverse sear, with a cast iron sear at the end for thick steaks. And for me cast iron searing means outdoors, either side burner of the gasser, but that is usually too dirty from un-use to get a good hot fire. So, I'll end up firing the egg more off than not.

And the reason for outdoors for cast iron searing rather than the gas range? Spatter from the pan means I never hear the end of it from SWMBO. No matter how I clean things up, it isn't up to her standards. So I go outdoors to make a mess... 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I don't know about you all but I've made some pretty dam good steaks on the egg. In my mind, it's one of the best things coming off an Egg. I guess ya'll think that anything seared is better done on CI on the stove top ?

not everything but traditional cuts of steak (ribeyes, NY, Tenderloins etc) for sure. Not even close. To buy a $30 per lb tenderloin and smother it in lump smoke and wood chips is crazy in my book. Sometimes the meat is the star of the show. There is a reason that the best steakhouses don't cook on eggs over lump. I love campfire steaks as much as anyone but if I had to serve someone the best steak I knew how, the egg wouldn't be involved. It would be: really good meat, salt, pepper, melted butter, a hot pan, and about 5-6 minutes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    I cook my steaks this exact way but I use compound butters. I also use my cast iron on about 80% of my cooks. I use the cast iron on my BGE, however....adds a load a flavor..No clue why I would leave the BGE shut. I make nacho cheese on my BGE in CI and it taste totally different if I get lazy and use my indoor range....I even heat the chips on my veggie grate in the BGE.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Terrebandit‌
    Brother I was not teasing or mocking you sir. Not at all. It was a poke at cazzy for saying he "held someone's hand". I'm sorry that you misunderstood. My apologies. Again it was a inside joke in a sense between myself and cazzy. I would never degrade anyone on here. Not even cazzy. I may poke at him when the opportunity arises, but even when directed toward him it's all in fun. Again sorry for the misunderstanding and my sincerest apologies.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌ For cooking steaks what is your preferred pan size? I have a 10" and a 17". One seems a little small and the other one is way overkill. Just thought I would ask as you seem well experienced with the pan cooking. Any particular style you prefer as well?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I will give the @cazzy CI method a go but it will be hard to top the cave-man approach.  May have to run a side-by-side for profound knowledge.   :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    That finished steak looks great but I'm sure it helps to start with a piece of meat as impressive as that. What a great looking piece of raw meat.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cazzy‌ For cooking steaks what is your preferred pan size? I have a 10" and a 17". One seems a little small and the other one is way overkill. Just thought I would ask as you seem well experienced with the pan cooking. Any particular style you prefer as well?
    I usually do them in a 12" lodge.  I have done them in my 10" Le Creuset, and it can get crowded with long strip steaks or a big rib-eye.  For the two in this cook, I could have done both in the pan, but I wanted to show my friend how to make one.  His outside burner also gives the pan a great hot spot at the back, so one steak is really optimal with this set-up.
  • lakewade
    Options
    Looks awesome!  I do them this way (well, not as good as you did) sometimes too, but I still go back to the egg 9 times out of 10.  I love cooking outside I guess.  But great job here.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I'll expect my royalty check in the mail.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    Options

I'll expect my royalty check in the mail.

Because I used "how I do it"?? Lmao
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    Options
    So @travisstrick patented the term "How I do it", genius  :-B

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    How hot?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options
    How hot?
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    henapple said:

How hot?

No clue, but I had the side burner on high. One day I'll get a good in fared thermometer.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Looks great!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • SGH
    Options
    @henapple‌
    Brother Apple I know that I was not whom the question was addressed to. But that said I run a confirmed and documented pan temp of 435 degrees. Why not hotter? Because I use a mixture of butter and bacon grease. This is about as high as I can run without really stressing the butter. I'm hoping that others will share their temps as well for a comparison.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    Options
    I don't have an infrared thermo...just wondering
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Gave it a shot tonight and it worked pretty good. Tried to do it on the egg with the CI sitting on the ceramic indirect piece. The CI got hot enough but I think I used a tad too much oil in the pan, because I didn't get a nice even crust. Tried to do three steaks at once so that was a little too much for the 12" pan. All three had to be cooked differently (1 MR, 1M, 1 MW). It got pretty stressful with all the butter basting, etc.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do almost all my meat cooks this way. Fish, steak, burgers, etc. I did several bison blue cheese burgers this weekend in my le crueset enameled skillet about 2 minutes or less a side then smoke on the grate to finish. Breakfast this morning the skillet read 550 when I threw the burger in and then several minutes each side with smoke till the pen was in the 140 range. Since Friday night I am guessing my egg was cold maybe 15 hours or so. Did multiple cooks not sure how many but my birthday cake for tomorrow was one my wife did. Its cooling down now.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    With winter coming, this will be on my short list. Thanks for showing!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• EggerinLA
    Options
    Never heard of this method before. What a concept. Thanks brother cazzy.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Gave it a shot tonight and it worked pretty good. Tried to do it on the egg with the CI sitting on the ceramic indirect piece. The CI got hot enough but I think I used a tad too much oil in the pan, because I didn't get a nice even crust. Tried to do three steaks at once so that was a little too much for the 12" pan. All three had to be cooked differently (1 MR, 1M, 1 MW). It got pretty stressful with all the butter basting, etc.
    Yeah, you definitely crowded the pan.  Whenever time permits, try it with 1 steak just to get the technique down.  
  • cazzy
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    With winter coming, this will be on my short list. Thanks for showing!
    No prob man.  As the troll below is alluding to, this is a tried and true method to cook a steak.  I just wanted to open some eyes that there is a superior technique out there.
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    For using the cast iron to cook a steak - do you guys think it is preferable just to do on a cooktop after the cast iron been sitting on there for a while, versus throwing the cast iron pan in the egg or even in a gasser?
  • cazzy
    Options

For using the cast iron to cook a steak - do you guys think it is preferable just to do on a cooktop after the cast iron been sitting on there for a while, versus throwing the cast iron pan in the egg or even in a gasser?

Outside is going to be less messy and you won't smoke up your kitchen if your vent hood isn't great. I prefer to do them on the side burner or on the egg as my only option inside at the moment is an induction range.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    So is it the CI you prefer or the getting away from lump or both. I ask because I could consider using the CI half moon griddle for steaks. I am pretty happy with my caveman but if I am missing out on even better, I sure am willing to find out about it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    cazzy said:
    You can always use the egg as a heat source for the CI pan.

If I was to use the egg as a heat sucre, what temp would I shoot for to stabilize the egg?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE